ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Carrion Swarm vs. Shockwave
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Carrion Swarm vs. Shockwave  
folder icon   02-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Carrion Swarm vs. Shockwave Post #1
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

ive always wondered about this... why is Carrion Swarm, which is the same type of spell as shockwave, inferior to it in just about every way? shockwave has lower cooldown, costs less mana, and most importantly, has NO damage cap. the only thing CS has over it is that at lvls 1 and 2 it does slightly more damage per unit; at level 3 it does the same damage per unit, making it totally inferior. whats up with that?

folder icon   02-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Post #2
Menofhonor

Tauren

Also cs can hit air. I think though that you have to look at the heros as a whole. I dont think that blizz ment for all spells to be equal in power just that all heros are relativly equal in power.

The tc is supposed to be the king of the ground at high lvls but really isn't very good at the low lvls. Also the tc has alot less mana I believe than the dl.

How about you compare cl to cs. They do about the same total damage but cs does more damage over fewer units. Also the cs is wide enough that you dont really have to flank the enemy to still get the damage cap so cl doesn't really have an advantage there. Also I love rein and all but infernal is better. As a total package I think that these heros are fine.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Post #3
Zherak_Khan

Dread Lord

meno did good work of desribing it. Yes, carrion works vs air, dl has more mana so on. And the DL has the uber vampiric aura.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Post #4
Thrall-WS

Wyvern Rider

I still like the TC better with warstomp and endurance, even though DL is sweet.

[COLOR=Dark-blue]Phear Is My Greatest Allie...[/COLOR]
"You can smell a horde zealot a mile away." -Gaggin
folder icon   02-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Post #5
The Slayer

Tauren Chieftain

warstomp fuckin sucks... i prefer shockwave any day. get into that caster line and shockwave away.. then 1-2 hits from him will usually drop them

-Chieftan
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Post #6
Zaknafien

Overlord

Warstomp costs less mana though. And 5 seconds of stun isnt that bad.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Post #7
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

yeah, higher level warstomp is pretty decent, but i still prefer shockwave.
as for the original issue, i was unaware that CS could hit air. that balances it out more, and good point about the spells not necessarily being balanced so long as the heroes are balanced.
however, i wish ppl would not compare cs to cl. you compare cs to shockwave, because they are the same type of spell. cl and cs are only very remotely the same--they both deal damage, and the similarities end there.

folder icon   02-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Post #8
Zaknafien

Overlord

CL and CS have a lot of similartes though

*hit air and land
*max amount of damage
*will almost certianly do max amount if aimed with even a small amount of care

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Post #9
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

apples and oranges. cs is far more similar to shockwave than cl. its the same thing as shockwave at its most basic level, except that it trades the ability to hit air for a damage cap.

folder icon   02-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Post #10
Zaknafien

Overlord

You hardly have to care about aiming with CL/CS though, SW you actually have to pay some attention.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   02-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Post #11
vade

Kodo Beast

Warstomp is better then it looks, and can be compared to thunderclap imo.

Greatest Quote known to man: MooooOOOOOOoooooo!!!

All your sheep are belong to us!
folder icon   02-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Post #12
Thrall-WS

Wyvern Rider

TC is alot better than WS.. TC has stun, slow and more dammage, and the dmk is just a monster stun machine(TC/Bash).

[COLOR=Dark-blue]Phear Is My Greatest Allie...[/COLOR]
"You can smell a horde zealot a mile away." -Gaggin
folder icon   02-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Post #13
Crusty_-_-Gloves

War Chief

a very good player can use WS properly, if used right much better than TC i prefer TC moe though watas mana burn comparble to? CL?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2003, 11:13 PM
Post #14
Zaknafien

Overlord

MB isnt comparable to anything.

TC would be better because -75% move/attack is close enough to stun, and all that damage is great.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   02-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Post #15
vade

Kodo Beast

I dislike that carrion swarm has a limit, but I guess it makes sense from the purpose that there are only so many bats...

The DMK is still my favorite hero for now, because of pure stun ability

folder icon   02-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Post #16
Menofhonor

Tauren

Really when people ask about the similarities between cs and cl I ask: name advantages that cl has over cs. The only one I can think of is that you can face perpenticualer to an army and still deal max damage. CS does more damage to each unit that it hits and if it kills a unit the left over damage carries over. Personally I pefer alot of damage to a few units over little damage to alot of units. They both deal about the same amount of damage and hit air.

Now just because cs and sw have the same type of aoe they have to do the same damage the same way?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Post #17
Zaknafien

Overlord

Well, CL hits a lot more guys meno. CS is 4 guys, CL is 8. Also, CL can be cast a little more often, which probably makes up for the less damage.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   02-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Post #18
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Quote:
Posted by Zaknafien:
You hardly have to care about aiming with CL/CS though, SW you actually have to pay some attention.
not true. you have to aim CS the same way you aim SW, because the spell operates the same way. CL you dont aim at all, you just target the unit you want to hurt the most and the spell does all the work for you.

folder icon   02-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Post #19
Zaknafien

Overlord

Well yes, but my point is with CS the angle is so wide you hardly have to care where you throw it, its bound to do something. SW if you just look in the general direction of the enemy army and throw it out there you wont get the full benefit.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   02-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Post #20
Menofhonor

Tauren

Zak you didn't read my post very well. I said that cs does more damage to each unit but they both do about the same total damage. I also said i prefer lots of damage to few units over little damage to lots of units.

Also with casters and ranged units its actually hard to cast cs in the middle of an army and not get the full damage potential.

folder icon   02-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Post #21
Zaknafien

Overlord

Hmmmmm. I suppose you have a point there. Of course, since I almost never use any of the spells except CL I wouldnt know that well. One thing though, CL with its ricocheting all over the place its great for taking out a fleeing army. Just throw it at them and you can take out about 6 units. So I suppose thats another thing I like about CL. Its range it also much rather than Swarm or CL because as long as you hit the initial guy.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   02-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Post #22
Dark Jester

Overlord

can't we all just get along and discuss how sweet immoliation is with evade

folder icon   02-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Post #23
Menofhonor

Tauren

One time I took out alot of ghouls with my lvl 7 dh with immo evade and meta.

folder icon   02-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Post #24
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

mmm, immo and evade, my favorite dh combo. i never used mana burn, even before it got taken down a notch.

folder icon   02-25-2003, 10:58 PM
Post #25
Menofhonor

Tauren

Mana burn was the shit before it got nerfed. Now it is a mediocre spell that I still use vs orcs.

folder icon   02-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Post #26
Zaknafien

Overlord

MB's still good though Especially considering how in meta hese ussually away from the front lines.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   02-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Post #27
vade

Kodo Beast

Quote:
Originally posted by Menofhonor
One time I took out alot of ghouls with my lvl 7 dh with immo evade and meta.

Sounds like a lot of NE vs UD games...wonder why so many NE players are complaining about mass ghouls...

folder icon   02-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Post #28
Zaknafien

Overlord

Because sometimes the ghouls dont go after the DH.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   02-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Post #29
Menofhonor

Tauren

Yea ghouls own all ne ground except bears and dryads with good micro. Once the army is gone its hero nuking time. I love it how people still think that hunts own ghouls then you hit tier 3 and get ghoul frenzy and rip through their army without losing a unit.

folder icon   03-02-2003, 02:17 AM
Post #30
En!gMa

Kodo Beast

Bah... carrion swarm... I like it yet I never use it. By the way... I'm curious... has anyone done the math? How many Blizzard waves would it take to equal the damage done by a single carrion swarm?

I think that Blizzards an extremely effective spell if timed right... and if the archmage is given the proper support. And of course the stupidity of your enemy is always a prime factor =P

folder icon   03-02-2003, 02:45 AM
Post #31
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

The main advantage of CL is a huge AoE. CS is a narrow wave, while CS can stretch 2 screen lengths if the units are lined up right. You're gauranteed the bang for your buck no matter what. I just wish it could bounce back to units like it used to. Makes the spell so much more fun.
IMO, warstomp is more useful than sw in 1v1 games. The TC is supposed to be a damage soaker, right? He's the front line man, his hps are high, his attack great. Melle units swarm around him, STOMP! Walk into mass casters, STOMP! Allows him to stop channeling spells, something a clapping MK cant do 75% of the time. SW needs alot of units bunched up to be effective, and it really doesnt do much against heavier units. But stomp works for all units at all times,and stun really is vital because it interupts spellcasting and all.

folder icon   03-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Post #32
Crusty_-_-Gloves

War Chief

well here are some reasons tehy are better/worse than eachother

CL 180 max to 0 over max of 12 units hits air and ground

SW 250 max over many units if positioned correctly(roughly 16) hits buildings and ground

CS not sure so blah, im very bored

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   03-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Post #33
Zaknafien

Overlord

CL isnt 12 units.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   03-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Post #34
Menofhonor

Tauren

SW is 200 per unit.

folder icon   03-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Post #35
Evil Penguin

Shadow Hunter

Didn't the latest patch for Frozen Throne up the CS damage?

Talk to crazy people - you might learn something. Or, you might get stabbed with a syringe. Either way, it builds character.
Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: