ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > Serious Discussion > Worst tragedy of the 21st century: Darfur or Iraq?
Search this Thread:
Worst tragedy of the 21st century: Darfur or Iraq?
You may not vote on this poll
This poll will close on 06-25-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Irak [ 1 ] polls/bar2-l.gifpolls/bar2.gifpolls/bar2-r.gif 14.29%
Darfur [ 1 ] polls/bar3-l.gifpolls/bar3.gifpolls/bar3-r.gif 14.29%
Keeper's mom [ 5 ] polls/bar4-l.gifpolls/bar4.gifpolls/bar4-r.gif 71.43%
Total: 7 votes 100%

newthread reply Serious Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Worst tragedy of the 21st century: Darfur or Iraq?  
folder icon   06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Worst tragedy of the 21st century: Darfur or Iraq? Post #1
Black~Enthusiasm

Arch Druid

According to most news account I read or saw, in the Darfur region, about 200,000 people were murdered since about 2003. According to Wikipedia (they are good at gathering data from various sources), estimates vary from 200,000 to 400,000 "or more". There are also about 2.5 million refugees.

For Iraq, the casualties include 3780 dead in the coalition and about 28,000 severely wounded, although I'm not sure what they consider to be a severe wound.

As for the Iraqis themselves: 2 million refugees so far, and estimates for dead varied between 100,000 to 150,000 last year, including only 2004 to 2006, according to their health minister. The Lancet study considered the range to be between 392,000 and 942,000. However, that was now 12 months ago, and violence seems to have gone up.

Also, given the type of attacks in Iraq, there are often many non-fatal casualties, although I have no idea how many or if anybody even bothered counting them.

But even worst than a million fatal casualties, we also have to take into account the failiur of the international community in both case. While prior to the Irak war there was some sort of counter-movement, some sort of grand international debate going on, Darfure exposed the indifference and inaptitude of the international community for what it is.

Do you think the USA should be blamed for Iraq in the same way the Janjaweed and the Sudan government are being blamed for the Darfur genocide? And which crisis seems worst to you?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Post #2
Ultra_punk

Administrator

I think the real problem is that we can help out with what is happening in Darfur. The country still has a stable regime, all that needs to exist is troops on the ground and the government to start caring about the refugees. And then if they are the ones that are funding Janjaweed, then... troops on the ground can still help out the situation.

Iraq is more difficult in that the government doesn't really function at all. It's hard to reconciliate the different sides int eh conflict and there is absolutely nothing we can do about whatever policy the americans wnat to employ. Also, i believe the numbers were 2 million refugees outisde iraq and 2 million displaced inside iraq, so its much worse than darfur.

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Post #3
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

I would say Darfur since it's a much more easily solved problem. Iraq is a very complicated issue, but Darfur exists because of negligence.

folder icon   06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Post #4
Kjell Thusaud

War Chief

Micky Mouse on Crack

I would play the sour-puss and say there will be worse yet to come before these 100 years are at an end.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Post #5
Black~Enthusiasm

Arch Druid

Yeah, I think we all knew as much.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Post #6
mercy
Banned

Mr. Clooney says he urged the two to seize the opportunity for Darfur peace that he says could arise with the International Criminal Court’s decision next week on whether to issue Bariatric Surgery Dietan arrest warrant for Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on war crimes charges. (Read Monitor Africa Bureau Chief Scott Baldauf’s story on Mr. Bashir’s efforts to gain diplomatic support.)

Clooney then told reporters that xstamperMr. Obama would appoint high-level, full-time envoy to Darfur.

Later, Clooney appeared on CNN’s Larry King Live, pointing out that he’d worked with Obama on Darfur three years ago and that Mr. Biden “has been very vocal on the issue.”

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Post #7
Kjell Thusaud

War Chief

Micky Mouse on Crack

I was right!

Now we have bots!

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
Return to Top  

newthread reply Serious Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: