newthread reply Serious Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Purpose  
folder icon   05-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Purpose Post #1
Bryndon

Chaos Blademaster

Why is it that humans don't have a plan for the future? I think we demonise the process a lot. Whenever you see a group in literature that has a plan for somehow changing the world order, or a group that has some kind of plan for transforming members of its own society, we later find out that they're evil, and then the plan is foiled by a hero. I've also heard the colloquial wisdom that it' somehow easier for us to conceive of the end of the world than a change from capitalistic hegemony to a different world-state.

Why is this?
Why doesn't humanity work together to move forward to something more?
Why should humanity work together to move forward to something more?
What should this new something be?

Last edited by Bryndon on 05-10-2008 at 03:25 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Post #2
Ultra_punk

Administrator

Stone Tools
Cooper Tools
Bronze Tools
Iron Tools
Steel Tools
Machinery
Electrically Powered Machinery
Computers
Artificial Intelligence
Self-Improving Artificial Intelligence
Technological singularity and thus post-scarcity economy.

There's a great plan don't you think?

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Post #3
Bryndon

Chaos Blademaster

So we make bigger toys on the basic assumption that if the country that gets its very own "post-scarcity economy" can then have plenty of 'stuff' all of its very own, humanity as a whole will improve?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Post #4
Ultra_punk

Administrator

Sorta, it's more about the philosophical change that the development of artificial intelligence and especially self-improving artificial intelligence means.

Firstly, most of our politics is based around subterfuge, lies and propaganda. Most people believe we live in democracies when it is clearly undemocratic. Some countries are more obvious than others but basically we live in a version of communist China with varying differences in policies and political competency. Artificial intelligence, when made public, with public discourse is a direct affront to our information-blind society. When people can actively listen to and absorb in an efficient and especially important, lazy, manner, then you can begin to have a democracy because people are empowered with the information required to make informed decisions. When they listen to politicians bitch about "tax and spend" liberals, or the "hidden agenda" of conservatives, they have more power to say "That doesn't make any sense."

Second, by post-scarcity economy I am not meaning "plenty of shit for everyone". I think capitalism has ruined the true meaning of scarcity with the base assumption that there are infinite resources in the world for us to plunder after we are finished with (in our current situation) oil. Previously, we were concerned with timber to make steel and tin to make cans. It also makes the erroneous implication that the goal of capitalism is a continuously expanding economy when in reality it is about bringing in a situation where we all have enough. Anyway...

What I mean is guaranteed resources. Today you have food to eat, tomorrow you will also have food to eat. Only the technological advancement of proper artificial intelligences installed by societies that have reached a certain point in development of democracy (as lousy as it is right now) can begin to vet away the last pieces of oppressive legislation. Artificial intelligence allows us to have a fast and efficient manner to run all our social services; healthcare, housing, agriculture, transportation, military, police and so on. We no longer need to care about market forces and Adam's invisible mentally handicapped hand in shaping our resource distribution, an AI can do it for us. You don't have to worry about agricultural price shocks, it'll be automatically handled. You don't need to worry about healthcare, medical advancements and so on, it'll all be unique managed by an expert system (an expert system being that of an AI-enhanced decision making system).

By smoothing the flow of resources you eliminate one of the greatest reasons that have been cited to cause war; unpredictability in resources. An AI can calculate the exact need of every person, with calculation affected by what they want and efficiently build a society based on that mass of information. No amount of human politicians can achieve this.

You can build a direct democracy where each and every citizen has direct input to the AI government. You can bitch about anything you want, you can view anything in the government, total and free access to everything from the AI's algorithms in calculating needs/wants to future plans. The AI can take in all the informaiton and build a comprehensive and inclusive political platform for the future. You don't vote, you just complain publicly.

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-23-2009, 02:23 AM
people can actively Post #5
Robel2008

China with varying differences in policies and political competency. Artificial intelligence, when made public, with public discourse is a direct affront to our information-blind society. When people can actively listen to and absorb in an efficient and especially important, lazy, manner.

edit.gif reply.gif
Return to Top  

newthread reply Serious Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: