ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Strategic Attack With 3D Landscape
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Strategic Attack With 3D Landscape  
folder icon   02-04-2001, 12:35 PM
Strategic Attack With 3D Landscape Post #1
Aphilis

Catapult

With the 3D landscape, it would be cool to make a strategic and surprise attack. Let's say that the enemy (Orc) has 6 Grunts and 3 Troll Hunters. I'm Human. I have 3 Knights and 3 Footmen and 3 Dwarven Riflemen. The enemy is standing in front of a hill. My 3 Knights and 3 DR are hiding behind the hill. My 3 Footmen are comming towards the enemy, in the front of the hill. They use their Defend skill. The enemy sends his 6 Grunts towards my 3 Footmen. Due to the spears recived and the number of Grunts attacking, the 3 Footmen can only kill 1 Grunt. There is now 5 Grunts left. But, during the Grunt-Footmen attack, my 3 DR shooted each at one of the 3 TH (after the TH shooted at the Footmen) and my Knights were charging at the same time, each at one of the TH. 3 TH killed. I now have 3 Knights and 3 DR with full HP. The enemy has 5 Grunts with full HP. The 3 DR shoot at 3 of the Grunts, reducing their HP by 1/2. The 3 Knights charge at the 3 wounded Grunts and kill them. The 2 other Grunts had time to hit a Knight, reducing his HP to a very low level. That Knight leaves the battlefield. The 3 DR shoot at one Grunt, killing him, and the 2 Knights charge at the last Grunt, killing him too.

Battle Report:
Orc Losts : 6 Grunts and 3 TH
Human Losts : 3 Footmen, and a wounded Knight

Winner : Human (hey, look!! The Orcs are sending Catapults, Taurens, Shamans, etc. We're dead!!)

Aphilis

------------------
Time kills.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-04-2001, 01:01 PM
Post #2
Nailpipe

Tauren Chieftain

ANd that is only one possibility!!!
I cant wait to see what you can do with night elves in situations like that!! WC3 is going to be THE best strategy game on earth!!
#@^$*@!* I want it to come out now!!!

"Why if I had half a chance, I could make an entire movie using this stock footage. The story opens on these mysterious explosions. Nobody knows what's causing them, but it's upsetting all the buffalo. So, the military are called in to solve the mystery." - Johnny Dep as Ed Wood
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-04-2001, 01:48 PM
Post #3
Aphilis

Catapult

I'll do a Night Elf battle soon...

Aphilis

------------------
Time kills.
folder icon   02-04-2001, 04:24 PM
Post #4
Vasilisk

Overlord

hello fello night elf. sounds like ya got your strategy down. i think the game seepd would have to be pretty low in order to do that

folder icon   02-04-2001, 04:34 PM
Post #5
Aphilis

Catapult

How do you know? Did you ever played Warcraft III?

Aphilis

------------------
Time kills.
folder icon   02-04-2001, 04:42 PM
Post #6
.uber

Lore Geek

Well you know it's been rumored that during battles the game speed will slow down so that you can micromanage your spells and abilities.

folder icon   02-04-2001, 04:56 PM
Post #7
Grendal

Shaman

Location: In a small decaying village were I conduct experiments on the dead to destroy you all!!

Yeah but if it's relitive to game speed when playing at the fastest speed seting it would stil be pretty hard to micromanage all that. Course I may be worng if the speed it slows down to is set then it may be easier.

folder icon   02-04-2001, 05:06 PM
Post #8
Vasilisk

Overlord

perhaps pausing the game during the battle would automatically happen and you could set the order of events and spells you would use.

folder icon   02-04-2001, 09:56 PM
Post #9
Tundra

Tauren

now your cutting out the Real time stratagy aspect of the game and using a sequence like fallout. Thats not Blizzards style. Perhaps the slow down, but not the pause. That would suck anyway, I don't think i even like the idea of a slowdown.

folder icon   02-04-2001, 11:15 PM
Post #10
Curufin

Catapult

THe game slowing down would be a lrge drawback. Part of this game is thinking on your toes, ya gotta be able to do this stuff ( casting spelsss etc.) while you fight.

folder icon   02-04-2001, 11:25 PM
Post #11
Aphilis

Catapult

Micromanaging looks cool but I don't think it fits in a Blizzard game. My opinion.

Aphilis

------------------
Time kills.
folder icon   02-05-2001, 06:53 AM
Post #12
Vasilisk

Overlord

for the stupider elves (like me) it might be necessary to slow it down, or at least make it an option

folder icon   02-05-2001, 07:32 AM
Post #13
DKP

Raider

Considering the way the game is going to work, I don't think they will slow the speed down... I mean how does one define battle? When enemy units come within 10 paces of each other? Considering the layout of the game (i.e. Troops wandering around the map, and running into each other) if you happen to be looking somewhere else, when one enemy peon ran into 30 of your knights, how annoying would it be if the game speed slowed down... even if you were looking at the knights, it seems a bit absurd.

Besides, I dont think it's blizzard's style to slow down the game... pure RTS or RTRPG or RPS is not slowed.. you have to be able to manage all your troops, cast your spells, and formulate plans in the heat of battle!
Otherwise what good will you be to the military?

Also, as for Strategic Attack with 3D landscapes, will they have line of sight? Because that could make strateties MUCH different... and a lot more fun.

folder icon   02-05-2001, 10:05 AM
Post #14
Aphilis

Catapult

Yeah good point DKP.

Aphilis

------------------
Time kills.
folder icon   02-05-2001, 10:23 AM
Post #15
Lorsa

Headhunter

Nailpipe: I donīt think you want the game to come out now. Do you know why? Cause is isnīt finished yet. I think itīs not even playable
I donīt want the game to come out before itīs finished, but I really hope itīll be soon.

folder icon   02-05-2001, 12:23 PM
Post #16
Aphilis

Catapult

The game is comming out after next xmas and DAMN THAT'S IN A REALLY LONG TIME!!! I can'T wait.

Aphilis

------------------
Time kills.
folder icon   02-05-2001, 12:40 PM
Post #17
Death Night

Catapult

well 3D land would be different as not alot of RTS games have that , how maney ppl have played TA (total Annihilation ) ?? u know how there was a choice of ur line of sight like u could pick curcular were ur sight iz always in a cercal around u , permanent were u can see every thing all the time , finnaly tru (the best) it lives up to its name terrean trees effect ur sight even if a rock wuz there a infatry K-bot could hide behind it , i think war3 should have the tru sight eh , and itd be even kewler if u could tell a grunt or footman or something like that to hide behind a tree , itd work like when u build a structer kinda u click a botton and the ur mouse turns into a little guy hiding behind a wall and would light up when u find object big enough . *sigh* as if right ?? but still ...

folder icon   02-05-2001, 12:50 PM
Post #18
Aphilis

Catapult

TA looks cool. I'll probably d/l the demo to check all that.

Aphilis

------------------
Time kills.
folder icon   02-05-2001, 02:24 PM
Post #19
Death Night

Catapult

or if ya got the time i could zip her up for ya and send it

folder icon   02-05-2001, 02:52 PM
Post #20
MogorTheOgre

Headhunter

The more I think about the in game strategies the more I wonder how many there will be. It is just mindboggling to see how startegies have developed for starcraft and that only has 3 races.

I think that when the game comes out, few people, even the ones who are gripeing will complain or have anything to whine about. I will just occupy my self will cool games that have a similar interface as war3 like sacrafice and TA

folder icon   02-05-2001, 07:25 PM
Post #21
Aphilis

Catapult

Don't worry about anything Death Knight, I've got the cable so I can d/l it without any trouble. Thanks anyway.

Hehe MogorTheOgre I'll do like you and play WC3-like games instead of waiting.

------------------
Time kills.
Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: