ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Liberty's Crusade (might include spoilers for those of you who haven't read it)
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Liberty's Crusade (might include spoilers for those of you who haven't read it)  
folder icon   10-14-2002, 10:50 AM
Liberty's Crusade (might include spoilers for those of you who haven't read it) Post #1
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

I just read the novel. I haven't read the others yet, but I plan to.

So, what do you guys think of it (those who've read it, that is)?

Personally, I think it's a great novel. I love the way it ties into the events of Starcraft, but seen from a different perspective. Nonetheless, I have a few complaints about it

-Zerg sound 'too weak' (until the end of the novel, that is).

-I don't like the concept of 'THE EYE' being inside every Zerg building. THis could just be because I've grown up believing that that was how the overmind looked like on the inside, but I dunno. It just seems kinda lame.

-Infested Terrans are SO much cooler in the game.

-What does Raynor mean: 'Fragging the Lieutenant'??? Since when did HYdralisks command Zerglings? They're all bound to the WILL OF HE OVERMIND! Zerg shouldn't be giving a damn about regrouping, or the amount of casualties they suffer (unless in multiplayer ), they should be coming down on the enemy like RAIN!

-Mengsk said that the reason why the Protoss have a ground force is because the Zerg CAN be destroyed without having to incinerate the entire planet, though they didn't explain how.

-THe Kerrigan-Raynor relationship didn't really seem 'right'. I mean, in that one terran mission, Raynor says to Kerrigan: 'Heck, I saved your butt plenty of times...'. I was expecting to see examples of this in the novel, but I didn't. When I played Starcraft, and saw Jim meet Sarah, I assumed that they had known each other for some time and had met once again under the circumstances. BUt, maybe taht was a little stupid.

-I don't like the novel's portrayal of Duke being a 'coward deep down inside'. TO me, he's always been this really cool guy who's all about the good fight. I mean, he stood his ground when Kerrigan killed him, and he was just so cool, but the novel portrays him as some stupid old man, or something. Heck, just listen to his 'funny lines' in SC, they're all so cool .

-If Mengsk was on the Hyperion, how the hell did Jim Raynor get it???

-THe ending wasn't entirely true to the game. Raynor and Co. didn't have to fight their way out of Tarsonis.

-I also don't like the concept of GHosts having to 'feel' the emotions of everybody who they kill. It just seems cliche and done to death. THey're meant to be cool, and professional, or maybe it's just Kerrigan.

-Scene where Kerrigan and Liberty were in a Zerg hive felt waaaaaaaaaaay too much like 'ALiens'.

-Why didn't Kerrigan just LOCKDOWN the damn siege tank??? She wasted a perfectly good canister rifle!!!

-Marines aren't really 'cool' in the novel. THey don't act the way marines do in the SC game, with all their smack talk and stuff . In the novel, they're all just like zombies or something...

Ok, now for applause

-I love they describe how cooly Kerrigan kills people. The way she's invisible, appearing only for a SPLIT second to cut someone's throat, then gone again. Makes me all hyped up for SC:Ghost .

-The way Michael Liberty mentions how good Kerrigan is with knives was great foreshadowing of what she is to become. Great stuff.

-In the end, the ZERG OWN EVERYONE!!! MWAH HA HA HA HA!

-Ah heck, even though the hatchery scene felt like a rip-off of Aliens, it was STILL cool! I especially like how the egg is semi-translucent, so Liberty can see the face of the Hydralisk staring at him. Very creepy- very cool .

-The way the Protoss are described- SO COOL!

-The Kerrigan-Raynor relationship worked out in the end and became believable.

Something I didn't get, though- I don't get what happened to Raynor's son. What was the 'incident' about? I didn't get it, I'm really dense .

folder icon   10-14-2002, 11:46 AM
Post #2
Jonttu

Overlord

Deghlan on Magtheridon

Wow, that seems to be a good noel, but finaldn sucks here is no StarCraft novles. Booho, onlyl Sci-Fi book ive readed is Dune: House of Harkonnen.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Post #3
Jeltz

Demi-God

There is one place in Stockholm perhaps the only in sweden that sell a wide range of fantasy and science fiction.

I don't like that about the hierarchy of the zerg the overmind and the cerebrates are the mind of the zerg. The zerg care about losses and regrouping but only in a large scale and only if the losses are bigger than the benefits. I don't think the duke was not a coward.

I eat robots for breakfast with syrup A(CBRT)
Show me! show you! Kikkomaan!

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Post #4
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

WEll, I've just started reading 'Shadow of the Xel'Naga', and they clearly said that the Zerg can suffer unbelievable, catastrophic loses and still keep coming, stronger than ever. That's exactly my point.

And about the siege tank thing- maybe Kerrigan just ran out of lockdown ammo or whatever. I still think she was being stupid, and I was seriously expecting her to lockdown the tank.

folder icon   10-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Post #5
the 1 eyed fool

Assassin

shadow of the xel naga is ok but nothign speacil even tho uit talks
about a new breed and
yeah alot ofit makes u feel likes it aliens all over again

Last edited by the 1 eyed fool on 10-15-2002 at 11:38 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-16-2002, 01:20 AM
Post #6
Thunder^Flame

Catapult

What tank are you talking about?

Certified Alliance TownKeeper
(Mighty Dwarven Mountain King)
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-16-2002, 02:23 AM
Post #7
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

The siege tank, DUH!

What OTHER tanks are there in SC?

folder icon   10-16-2002, 02:49 AM
Post #8
Zaknafien

Overlord

As I recall that was goliath....

This is in the scene where she runs raound knifing people right?

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-16-2002, 03:01 AM
Post #9
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Nope, it's when she's on Tarsonis. But yeah, she's STILL running around knifing people, you're gonna have to be a little more specific since she does quite a bt of knifing throughout the book . Actually, at this part she might have just been using her canister rifle :/.

folder icon   10-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Post #10
Thunder^Flame

Catapult

Why did she needed to Lockdown that tank??

folder icon   10-16-2002, 08:49 AM
Post #11
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Uh, I think it had something to do with the fact that it was trying to kill Raynor and his men .

folder icon   10-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Post #12
Thunder^Flame

Catapult

Oh
Now i see

folder icon   10-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Post #13
Zherak_Khan

Dread Lord

havent got the books. havent got a credit card. cant get em. want em. zherak_khan@hotmail.com if you are a really nice guy. know i oughtta buy em, but dont get credit cards in my age.

folder icon   10-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Post #14
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

I don;'t have a credit card. I borrowed the book from a Russian friend of mine, who actually found some store in Singapore that sells them .

folder icon   10-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Re: Liberty's Crusade (might include spoilers for those of you who haven't read it) Post #15
The_Lone_Gunman*

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by -G R U N T-

-infester terrans look so much cooler in the game.

this was a prototype infested terran, one of the zergs first experiments with humanity.
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
-Mengsk said that the reason why the Protoss have a ground force is because the Zerg CAN be destroyed without having to incinerate the entire planet, though they didn't explain how.

its simple, protoss gorund forces (zelots, reavers, etc.) get on the ground and kill zerg till their gone.
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
-I don't like the novel's portrayal of Duke being a 'coward deep down inside'. TO me, he's always been this really cool guy who's all about the good fight. I mean, he stood his ground when Kerrigan killed him, and he was just so cool, but the novel portrays him as some stupid old man, or something. Heck, just listen to his 'funny lines' in SC, they're all so cool .

i agree, duke was incredibly cool. but what i think mengsk ment was that he couldnt ever have survived on the frontlines or something
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
-If Mengsk was on the Hyperion, how the hell did Jim Raynor get it???

the book wasnt entirly right on this part, i reckon that that mengsk switched to the norad III because it was a more combat ready ship. leaving it open to a 'hijacking' because the former magistrate from marsara was on it, i dont have proof but thats my take on it.
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
-THe ending wasn't entirely true to the game. Raynor and Co. didn't have to fight their way out of Tarsonis.

maybe they did, and just didnt mention it in the book methinks...
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
-I also don't like the concept of GHosts having to 'feel' the emotions of everybody who they kill. It just seems cliche and done to death. THey're meant to be cool, and professional, or maybe it's just Kerrigan.

it probably was just kerrigan, other ghosts have phyonic dampeners that, as kerrigan put it, "keep your nasty little thoughts out of our heads"
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
-Why didn't Kerrigan just LOCKDOWN the damn siege tank??? She wasted a perfectly good canister rifle!!!

i reckon if she had used lockdown then the crew of the seige tank would have climbed out and started attacking the ground party, but jamming the turret over the escape hatch prevented this...
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
-Marines aren't really 'cool' in the novel. THey don't act the way marines do in the SC game, with all their smack talk and stuff . In the novel, they're all just like zombies or something...

only the 'brain-panned' ones.
Quote:
[COLOR=red]
Something I didn't get, though- I don't get what happened to Raynor's son. What was the 'incident' about? I didn't get it, I'm really dense .

what happened was that his son was killed during the final test at ghost training acadamy that kerrigan mentioned. it seems Jims son couldnt react soon enough

...but having a phionic son means that theres phionic potential in Jims family line, and he could have hidden telepathic powers. which would explain his ability to know whats on peoples minds in terms of how they feel.

hope i helped

EDIT: and shadow of the Xel'naga was a really, really bad book IMO. it didnt fit in with the plot of SC at all.

Be respectful of your superiors, if you have any.~ Mark Twain
Actually, It turns out I'm the President of the Forums, and forgot.
http://forumsx.net/showthread.php?t=26044&page=3&pp=35
Last edited by The_Lone_Gunman* on 10-16-2002 at 02:43 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-17-2002, 01:25 AM
Post #16
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

BAH! Duke is MEANT to be the kind of guy who can go to the frontlines and WIN! That's what Alpha squadron is all about! The author sucks! Oh, and I just read Shadow of the Xel'Naga, DUKE IS EVEN WORSE there!

Anyway, the part about Protoss being able to beat the Zerg on ground, I suppose that's true. but only in multiplayer (duh). I mean, in terms of storyline, Zerg are meant to be UBER powerful!

As for the marines, so many of them are brain-panned that it didn't really feel 'right'. I was hoping to see stuff like: 'Hit any key...well where's the any key???'

folder icon   10-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Post #17
Zherak_Khan

Dread Lord

which means, grunt, thay you will borrow me the book (you do have it in digital format, right?) by sending it to Zherak_Khan@hotmail.com (please dont spam that mailadress, you can spam akselw@hotmial.com instead). I really want that book (and all otehr SC/WC related books). Pretty please with sugar on or whatver you americans say.

Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: