ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Hosted Clans > Artists of War Forum > The lost generation
Search this Thread:

newthread reply Artists of War Forum
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

The lost generation  
folder icon   05-25-2003, 02:26 AM
The lost generation Post #1
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

I didn’t want to post this in the general discussion forum. Mainly because I am sick of the people in the general discussion forum, and I felt like talking to just my clan. Although I don’t know how many of you still visit this beautiful forum.
To note to all the people that read this, I am not inserted in your spam, so keep it out of this topic. If you want to reply put some thought into it first, and keep on the subject, which is to follow. I’d ask Spammly and so and so to delete any posts that are nothing but spam.

Anyway; On to the subject at hand:
I was talking with a friend about our generation and its life style, we both agreed that our generation has nothing really. No real war to speak of, no grate depression, no spiritual identity. Nothing really. Most of us use drugs for simulation, we drink ourselves stupid on a much more common basis then our forefathers before us. And all for what? For, in my opinion, an escape for our mundane existents. Nothing new I guess, its always been that way I suppose.

I don’t know, what is your opinion? Does our generation need something? Is it in fact lacking something? Or am I just a depressed brooding psychopath?

folder icon   05-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Post #2
deathofspam

Arch Druid

Well, it all depends on where you live, and how major a war you consider a major war. We have the US war on Iraq, we have the Bosnia conflict, and a few others I can't remember. Our generation is, in my personal opinion the generation of idolitors. We raise to insainly high stature because they can throw a ball, or sing a song. Previously, there were very few of these figures who were raised up in such a manner, like Babe Ruth, Elvis, or the Beatles, but now there are hundreds of people like this. People see this, and want to be at that status, and they push for it. Everyone wants to be the next sports star, or the next rapper, or whatever. We make T.V shows with the sole purpose of making everyday people instant celbrities. We all want someone to look up to, yet sadly, we can't seem to find these people in fields that really make a difference in people's lives.

"What makes a person so poisonous righteous, that they think less of anyone who dares disagree?"
-Moxy Fr?vous
DarkJesterZero1: your on my "Would have sex with list"
She wants a donkey punch, trust me. - Darkwolf
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Post #3
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

For all I know you could in fact a depressed brooding psycopath, but you've got a point.

I think the biggest problem today is that there are no clear-cut goals for us in life. I know what my parents' goals were; Go to college, get married, start a family, live long. Today, marriage doesn't seem a viable option for many people, and in our society it isn't as needed as previously. I'm planning on going to college, but what's the point in trying hard in school? More money isn't necessarily going to make me happy, despite what people may think. So there's really no cause for me to aim for. The only order I've found in my life lately is my girlfriend. She's something totally new and great for me, but of course we won't be together forever either, so there goes that idea. As for wars, etc, I don't think we really need any of that, and it'll come to us regardless of our choices anyway. Sadly I see no firm grasp on the use of vices. Most of my friends either believe alcohol and pot are evil(not true), or they do both of them too much for their own good. Then we have the constant push of blame in our society. Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits. Blame it on the media. Blame it on the Government. Blame it on everyone but yourself. This is a horrible trend, and I'd like to see Americans take some more initiative in their lives.

So ya, I feel there's basically an absence of focus in today's youth. Nothing in the future looks all that great, except for gothic 2, WoW, and the next beer.

folder icon   05-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Post #4
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by deathofspam
Well, it all depends on where you live, and how major a war you consider a major war. We have the US war on Iraq, we have the Bosnia conflict, and a few others I can't remember. Our generation is, in my personal opinion the generation of idolitors. We raise to insainly high stature because they can throw a ball, or sing a song. Previously, there were very few of these figures who were raised up in such a manner, like Babe Ruth, Elvis, or the Beatles, but now there are hundreds of people like this. People see this, and want to be at that status, and they push for it. Everyone wants to be the next sports star, or the next rapper, or whatever. We make T.V shows with the sole purpose of making everyday people instant celbrities. We all want someone to look up to, yet sadly, we can't seem to find these people in fields that really make a difference in people's lives.

What I mean, or what I meant about a major war is one such as World War II, Vietnam, etc. One where men were conscripted to go and fight, they were looked down upon for not going to fight, protests about the war, and real fucking war were people are killed in the hundreds and thousands on both sides. Now you can argue about war and say that the supposed ‘war on Iraq’ in a major conflict, or the Bosnia wars. But I don’t think they are, not for us anyway. We sit back and pelt the enemy with bombs, that’s not war, it is not even that effective. It also hides your people form the real truth of war.

Yet your point about the idolization of people, I would agree with that. We have no hero’s, no great leaders like Malcolm X, or Ghandi, no grand empires, no brilliant poets like Edge Allan Poe, or Jim Morrison. So we idolize and adore people with no real talent, or great ability. Why? Because we are told its something to look at, or aim for in an other wise pointless society, we are rule by TV, and a lack of spiritual identity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaggin
For all I know you could in fact a depressed brooding psycopath, but you've got a point.

I think the biggest problem today is that there are no clear-cut goals for us in life. I know what my parents' goals were; Go to college, get married, start a family, live long. Today, marriage doesn't seem a viable option for many people, and in our society it isn't as needed as previously. I'm planning on going to college, but what's the point in trying hard in school? More money isn't necessarily going to make me happy, despite what people may think. So there's really no cause for me to aim for. The only order I've found in my life lately is my girlfriend. She's something totally new and great for me, but of course we won't be together forever either, so there goes that idea. As for wars, etc, I don't think we really need any of that, and it'll come to us regardless of our choices anyway. Sadly I see no firm grasp on the use of vices. Most of my friends either believe alcohol and pot are evil(not true), or they do both of them too much for their own good. Then we have the constant push of blame in our society. Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits. Blame it on the media. Blame it on the Government. Blame it on everyone but yourself. This is a horrible trend, and I'd like to see Americans take some more initiative in their lives.

So ya, I feel there's basically an absence of focus in today's youth. Nothing in the future looks all that great, except for gothic 2, WoW, and the next beer.

About University. (Why you lot call it college I have no idea!) Back in your parents day, not everyone went to University. If you wanted to get a trade job you didn’t need a bit of paper saying you could be an apprentice, now everyone goes to University, you cant get a desent paying job if you don’t!

The shift of blame in society is getting worse by the day, and I blame the American culture for that, New Zealand never really had a problem with people excepting responsibility for their actions. But now we have lawsuits cropping up, its nowhere near as bad as the system in America, but if something isn’t done that is the way its going.

People think that they have the ‘right’ to do this and that, in society you have privileges that can be revoked if you use your privileges in a away that effects others adversely. Too many people mistake privileges as ‘rights’, like the privilege to own a gun. And again I blame American culture, I blame the idolization of anti-heroes and the shift of blame in society, I blame a lack of morals and spiritual identity. I blame a lack of education and the common ignorance of people, but the question is how do we fix it?

Last edited by Sammy the Saint on 05-25-2003 at 10:11 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Post #5
LunarElemental

Arch Druid

I think our generation is defined by computers. We are the online generation, and I think that's how we will go down in history. The internet was invented sometime in the begining of the nineties (I think, may be wrong) and ever since then more and more of the nation's youth has been pulled into the cyber world. Ofcourse, when you look in the longrun, the next generation may become even more dependent on computers than we are now, and thus they would be a more extreme computer-generation... But we are the pioneers none the less, and nothing can take that away from us.

"My spirit burns like the sun and i shall dry you like a prune."

pappskalle.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Post #6
The_Lone_Gunman*

Overlord

I think the main problem with our generation is a lack of knowledge or wisdom. Sometimes i'll listen in at convo's in my school and hear "Man, my momma wont let me play my Xbox because i got a D, that aint down!". And i feel like i should do something to try and enlighten them about how messed up they seem to me, but i took a vow a long time ago not to force any views i have on anyone else.

Be respectful of your superiors, if you have any.~ Mark Twain
Actually, It turns out I'm the President of the Forums, and forgot.
http://forumsx.net/showthread.php?t=26044&page=3&pp=35
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Post #7
jov

like a fox!

hmm... i'd say that a main problem is that kid's want to be older than they are. and that's trouble in this society. they all want to fit in, they all want to be recognized, and in doing so they stop being individuals. as they gain recognition amongst peers for knowing who one american idol, or who's who on the real world, they loose their induviduality. they loose the spark that makes them different. soon they are nothing but a washed out, obliging mass, in their AF shirts and jeans. and that's exactly how those money grubbing corporations want it.

it's sad... i can't wait to get out of the "school life" and on into my own. one semseter to go, one goddamn semseter... shit, even then i still have to be here, with this lease and these roommates... i really think when that's said and done, i am gonna' get some myself time.

folder icon   05-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Post #8
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Lone_Gunman*
I think the main problem with our generation is a lack of knowledge or wisdom. Sometimes i'll listen in at convo's in my school and hear "Man, my momma wont let me play my Xbox because i got a D, that aint down!". And i feel like i should do something to try and enlighten them about how messed up they seem to me, but i took a vow a long time ago not to force any views i have on anyone else.

I always envied those kids when I was little.

I think that parents have everything in the world to do with this. Heck, sometimes I'm ready to blame them for our troubles(of course, hypocritical), but they do have a hand in it. After all, I don't hear any kids blaming Columbine on rap music, it's all the parents and the adults, who don't bother to figure out shit.

People keep thinking there's some sort of status quo in America, that there's some sort of normality... but there isn't. We're a great pluralistic society(anthropologically speaking), and there's so much diversity, yet people fail to realize it. They don't quite get the exposure to figure things out since they're always in their comfort zones, and guess who put them in those zones? Parents. Hell, half the country thinks Weed is evil, the other half thinks not, but often the one half doesn't know the other half exists in the first place.

Jov, I don't quite buy the greedy corporation theory. Corporations have to be upportunists, or else they'll fail. When they saw how great a market there is targeting teens, there's no reason not to sell their clothes. It's business, and society can change this at any time, if it truly wants to. But of course, society is never perfect.
BTW, "I am gonna get some myself time." Are you planning to get yourself time, or getting 'some'? I hope it's the latter.

Society really doesn't see the value in its youth. American youth is in fact not at all ignorant. It's just that we as a society don't allow people to show their intelligent side in the proper way... you don't have to be good at math or science to be a genius. It's amazing how classes like music and art contribute so much to one's understanding of English and Math, yet it's paid so little attention.

I personally think alot of people here are being way too pessimistic about the youth, and especially with the 'American' youth. But as I said earlier, we're a pluralistic society at heart. I hear people in Serious Discussion argue about how Americans are so ignorant of the world around them because Bush wages a war on Iraq, but if you truly judge us totally on politics and can't even realize the cultural significance of U.S. society, then you can't really be calling us ignorant.

Remember this: there is no single American Culture.

Lunar: if we're geeks now, what are we gonna call our children? Ubergeeks?(hehe, I'm a geek) I actually think our children will be so integrated into life with computers, they won't give our geekiness a second thought.

folder icon   06-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Post #9
Gnome-

Night Elf Ranger

You've got a good point sammy. There really ISNT anything happening in the world currently.

I wouldn't even consider the War on Iraq a war, as they have basically no chance. Its more of slaughter then War.

But yes, another reason I think the world is the way it is because many people havent been that creative. There are no new ideas, no new inventions, nothing made that will dramatically change our world. We have no reason to really live here currently, cause we aren't accomplishing much. That COULD be a reason people are using drugs/alcohol, to get away from such boredom. To put some fun in their lives.

Then again I'm probably just spurting nonsensical bullshit so just ignore me;P

thats my opinion anywho, its pretty crappy *whisper whisper"spurting nonsensical bullshit"

When it comes to biting scrotums in
vengeance, "Who Knows"?

"GNOME KNOWS!"
folder icon   06-29-2003, 10:56 PM
Post #10
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

Hey In america its a "right to Bear arms" be they swords or guns

Anyway, I really agree that no one wants to take responsability for their actions. Us 20 somthings have been shielded by their parents so much its ridiculous! "Its not my kids fault they arent doing well in school, its not my fault either, its the teacher!" *forms lynch mob* reall ysome parental responsability is needed to be recognized.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   07-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Post #11
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Our generation has tons of computers and stuff....yeah . I think it's radically different from say...the hippie generation .

Sorry I couldn't contribute much, I don't think of these things often, but I think of how life must have been like just 70 years ago and it seems so different from it is today. I'm sure people will look back and compare our generation to theirs saying that ours contributed stuff and their's didnt!

ANyway, I'm sad to say that I dont feel too 'clan-like' right now . We hardly see one another (I myself admit that I rarely visit this forum). Even gnome and I don't have AoW in our Bnet screenames :/.

newthread reply Artists of War Forum
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: