ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > raiders, warlords and thrall
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

raiders, warlords and thrall  
folder icon   02-04-2001, 11:21 AM
raiders, warlords and thrall Post #1
W 'gal the Slasher

Grunt

I'm sorry to admit it but it would make some sense to delete them raiders because the horde already has the tauren as the equivallent of the knight. with the heronumber reduced to four( if this is correct) that's also the reason why they deleted the warlord. As a unit it would intervene too much with the tauren. Even if the warlord was the coolest...
On the other hand the taurens could also be deleted. they could just keep the Tauren lord as hero. Than the raider could stay...

Or they could keep them both and make the raider only a fast recon.unit with limited attack capacity. But there is also the problem of the past. In war1 the raiders were as strong as knights and now all of a sudden they would be degraded to second class?..

And besides, wasn't Thralls father the leader of the wolfrider clan. And wasn't it because of the introduction of Thrall as leader the horde has reintroduced the ranks of the Raiders???

folder icon   02-04-2001, 11:24 AM
Post #2
Vasilisk

Overlord

Ya sure....make a orc with huge sword riding a vicious worg/wolf a recon unit...mwhooohahahahahahah!

i understand where you are coming from, but it sounds a little ridiculous-

folder icon   02-04-2001, 11:41 AM
Post #3
.uber

Lore Geek

Uhh... guys... that's exactly what the raider is: a fast moving melee unit that isn't meant so much for direct engagement but rather hit and run. He's got that ensnare ability so that he can stop enemy units so that the powerhouse tauren can come in and whooop butt.

folder icon   02-04-2001, 12:16 PM
Post #4
Draupner

Tauren

Now that's some fucked up nonsense...

Blizzard won't make it in terms of how two units are equivallents. It's the whole concept of making every race different that goes to waste. If you had two units that were alike and nothing more - there wouldn't be many differences now would there??

Also I don't think anyone within the forum walls wants to have the raiders delete it...

Kill them with swords, kill them with lances and spears. Kill them with the bolts of your crossbows. Kill their warriors, kill their women and their children, their elderly and their sick. Kill their hounds, cattle and their livestock. But above all, kill with pleasure.

Dark Elf captain Daerkhil
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-04-2001, 02:27 PM
Post #5
W 'gal the Slasher

Grunt

Ganted ,
using the word equivallent was a little overdramatic..

you know,
I think it would be awesome if every race could have totally different units/heros. But a closer look at the unit section shows me there still are units that are comparable to eachother.
Peon/ peasant/dredge
Grunt/foodman/ghoul
tauren-raider/ knight
deadknight/paladin...and so on...
Tauren lord/ mountainking/ abomination

Units are comparable for a reason you know. This is common sense because otherwise the game just won't be balanced. In war2, every unit was the same( exept for some spells here and there).
When war3 was announced the scourge was going to have a totally different resourse
management system. but a soon as balancing begins one has to realise that this was a bit too optimistic. So now they bring in gold/ new units/ less heroes...

folder icon   02-06-2001, 06:56 PM
Post #6
6gregory9

Shadow Hunter

Using the word over Dramatic is a little over Dramatic.

Blizzard relly needs to release a list of known units and heros and what they do, after this fuck up of a week nothing is clear.

I don't need your war machines, I don't need your ghetto scenes. Coloured lights can hypnotise, now sparkle some one elses eyes.
Warrior, The Time Bombs
About To Go
What Will You Feel
Will You Even Wonder
If The Man That'sin Your Sights
Ever Kissed His Girl Goodbye
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-06-2001, 08:00 PM
Post #7
RepoMan

Shaman

I think it would suck if they took out the Raider. It is one of my favorite units and I have missed it since the original Warcraft. The Raider is meant as a fast attack unit a kind of hit and run, and with it's snare ability it can run in get some hits snare the enemy then the Tauren come in to finish them off. You see the Raider is fast the Tauren is slow so they are different. But I think it would be cool if Blizzard remade the Warlord and put him on a really REALLY big wolf.

"It can fly at you like a sudden storm, without warning, from nowhere, and devour you, consume you with its ferocious appetite. The Wendigo is hungry, always hungry. And its hunger is never satisfied. The more it eats the bigger it gets. And the bigger it gets, the hungrier it gets."
-The Wendigo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I have wings, so why am I always walking?"
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-06-2001, 08:27 PM
Post #8
entrugen

Raider

damn straight. blizzard really ought to release a proper unit list if they are gonna twirl shit around like they have been doing. and by poper unit list, i don't mean something on a forum chat board! update your site, and happy tenth birthday! well soon anyway...

folder icon   02-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Post #9
Darkwolf

Overlord

Yeah Blizz needs to get its act together after this havoc of rumors. They need to make another press release stating that the press release was comprised of examples, and they do not encompass every unit in the game.

I don't see how eliminating the raider would help at all. It messes up the story somewhat, and it also takes out a unit that seems to very important to the Horde. I don't think raiders are like Tauren much at all, they seem pretty unique actually.

folder icon   02-06-2001, 11:07 PM
Post #10
nightfox

Catapult

You can find similarities between the early units in the game, but besides a builder (peasant, peon, dredge, ent), cheap melee unit (footman, grunt, ghoul, sentinel), and ranged unit (rifleman, troll hunter, ??? for the scourge, archer), giant-type hero (mountain king, chieftain, abomination, ??? for the NE), but besides these ones everything else is really quite diverse, and even these 4 are quite different. The Alliance units are more defensive, the Horde is more offensive and melee-related rather than spell-casting, the Scourge makes cheap, quick to build units and the NE makes geurilla style units.

folder icon   02-07-2001, 09:34 AM
Post #11
ChronoBurn

Grunt

I thought the Raider was awesome in the first game and I'm glad to see it come back.
You will probably be able to build the Raider a lot quicker than the Tauren and it will be your early cavalry.

from matter and light envinced in solid and shade."
folder icon   02-07-2001, 02:36 PM
Post #12
RepoMan

Shaman

Yah I think that is the point of the Raider. I don't think that it is supposed to be similar to the Tauren.

"It can fly at you like a sudden storm, without warning, from nowhere, and devour you, consume you with its ferocious appetite. The Wendigo is hungry, always hungry. And its hunger is never satisfied. The more it eats the bigger it gets. And the bigger it gets, the hungrier it gets."
-The Wendigo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I have wings, so why am I always walking?"
folder icon   02-07-2001, 05:36 PM
Post #13
Grendal

Shaman

Location: In a small decaying village were I conduct experiments on the dead to destroy you all!!

The raider is not supposed to act like a night he is for quik hit and runs then he will run away. Anyway we need a list out the collective havox that has been reaked needs to be stopped at the moment as it is the community is looking for somthing to rip to shreads (pushes chewed pillow case aside)

Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: