ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Time to Awaken this Forum, Perhaps a Project
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Time to Awaken this Forum, Perhaps a Project  
folder icon   03-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Time to Awaken this Forum, Perhaps a Project Post #1
the_time_machine

Overlord

Guys we need to revive this forum, we have a strong community here, and i know we have a wide range of talent and excellent map makers, so i suggest we start a small team and make a map or too, or maybe just start up some traffic and threads in this forum, its a shame for the map making forum to be dormant,

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   03-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Post #2
Jezta

The Black Sphynx

I'm in the planning stages of a campaign for StarCraft, but I can put that on hold if we get something here that's interesting and definite.

Or you all can help me?

folder icon   03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Post #3
~Crusader~

Ranger

Mailpouch on Burning Legion

I would be interested in helping out on a mini-campaign or something along the likes. It would give me something to do in my down time from WoW.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   03-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Post #4
the_time_machine

Overlord

well spread the word, wake this forum up, toss some ideas around

folder icon   03-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Post #5
Kjell Thusaud

War Chief

Micky Mouse on Crack

Well, many people are currently working on projects,

I am, for example, working fevourishly with Mindcraft along with a lot of other illustrious forumers.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   03-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Post #6
RynjaxxBlue

Overlord

Make a large-scale MP strategy map / set of maps.

I have a currently-stagnant project entitled Sorcery that I can't complete due to the MMORPG map.

It would kick ass if this could be taken up and made into something awesome by the skilled people here...

--

The concept was such:

Take a 256x256 map, make as varied a tileset as possible, set everything to half or even 1/3, 1/4 scale for that huge strategic battlefield effect, have triggers to flexibly zoom the camera around and change angle.

No player has a set race. He starts with a Mage Tower that acts as a town hall and resource collection point. The Mage Tower can be upgraded to 5 levels. Other mage towers may be built. They are very hard to kill but expensive. When you lose all your mage towers you are defeated.

===

There is no more lumber (prevents the map from degenerating, and allows for much more battle space. Trees exist for strategy only.) Lumber is replaced with stone. Stone is harvested from Rock Formations which are basically trees changed to look like formidably-sized stone doodads with 1000s of hitpoints (so they work almost like gold mines). Gold remains, and is mined from mines just the same.

Peasants/peons are used to harvest resources. Lumber Mills are now Mining Outposts that can receive both Stone and Gold.

===

To get an army, you must build "summoning huts", barracks, or "summoning gates".

Huts are available at Mage Tower level 1. There is a type of hut for each primitive race (gnolls, murlocs, furbolgs, etc.) Each hut builds about 6-8 types of units from its race and contains upgrades for special abilities (ensnare or something).

Barracks are for the civilized races (humans, blood elves, night elves, etc.) and function about the same way. Barracks are available at Mage Tower level 2.

Gates are for extraplanar races (demons, voidwalkers, etc). They are available at Mage Tower level 3.

Mage Tower level 4 gives you access to 1st tier World Spells. These spells are cast from the tower, have long cooldowns (2-3 minutes), have infinite range, and are like ultimates. The Mage Tower level 4 has 1000 mana to cast spells with (regenerating at 10 per second). Each spell costs 300-1000 mana. They are along the lines of long-duration Farsight (cheap), Tornado, etc. They must be used to aid your army and to further your strategy.

Mage Tower level 5 gives you 2nd tier world spells along the lines of Rain of Chaos (more powerful), Starfall, etc. They have longer cooldowns (5 min) and cost more mana (600-1000).

===

Each army race has a certain focus or flavor to it. Combining them is often useful to even out their abilities and let them help each other.

ex.
Blood Elves have powerful destructive magic, medium archers, and shoddy melee, as well as spellbreakers. Demons have strong melee and moderate casters centered on stealing mana (and transferring it to allies a la Obsidian Statue) and debuffing foes. Thus, the Demons can disable enemy casters, act as meat shields, and feed mana to the Blood Elves, which rain even more magical death on the enemy.

others:

Night elves have the best archers and fast/stealthy units. Their melee sucks. Their casters are medium-level buffers and Shapeshifting druids, so they're suitably good at hit-and-run attacks at night but are vulnerable in melee battle and against sufficiently powerful nuking casters (due to low HP).

Humans - hard-to-kill melee, practically no archers, and healing priest casters. Good at defense.

Dwarves - Damaging and durable melee, ranged steam tanks and mortars, no magic. Good offense as long as the enemy has no offensive casters and isn't too melee oriented. Like the night elves.

Gnolls - good durable early melee, have rudimentary antimagic, fairly fast units. Command aura for best units.

Murlocs - less durable melee, but have ensnaring and poison, stealthed nightcrawlers, disease abilities.

and so on.

Basically a large assortment of units for every purpose available to everyone, but barracks and upgrades are expensive so that some race specialization is encouraged. Strategy must be considered when building up armies.

The unit power range is pretty wide. The best units (said Doom Guard) can take out 5-10 of the weakest units (vanilla gnolls). Each player is expected to upgrade and keep up with technology or die.

===

Food limits are about as high as possible at 200 or so. 1st Mage Tower level units take 1 food, 2nd take 2 food, 3rd take 4 food. The top units for each race type take 1 more food than normal, so, say, Mortar Teams take 3 food, Doom Guard demons take 5 food.

===

Buildings still include Farms (5 food) and Large Farms (10 food).

Blacksmiths are available that can upgrade Melee Attacks, Ranged Attacks, Magic Attacks, Beast Attacks, Metal Armor (for footmen and tanks and stuff), Leather Armor (for ranged units and light stealth type units), Beast Hides (for animals, beastlike races and demons).

15 levels of upgrade exist for attacks, adding 1-2 damage each.

10 levels of armor upgrades, adding 1-2 armor each.

Specific races upgrade abilities and caster ranks and stuff at their huts/barracks/gates.

===

Last edited by RynjaxxBlue on 03-17-2005 at 07:50 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   03-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Post #7
the_time_machine

Overlord

if im in the mood to make a map like that one day ill use some of ur ideas, some of them are quite interesting

folder icon   04-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Post #8
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

Im always up for Voice acting ...

I guess Mindcraft is over again !!!! Fuck !

But What we need first is to find what people we have skinners , modellers , va , storymakers etc.

I suggest we go a 3 map campaign first, but have the possibility in the story to broaden it if we manage to make it and if people like it. And not too fancy with everything new , but atleast in the first 3 lvls have a few new or altered units ( depending on how much work the moddelers would like to do , but we could focus on the story , dialog and great missions in the 3 lvls. Ive been working on 4 campaigns that died without pulling a "jesus" and I would really like to finish one.

Last edited by Urin_BloodfaceII on 04-05-2005 at 12:30 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   04-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Post #9
the_time_machine

Overlord

yea mindcraft has never been that stable or consistent, they have produced some real promising stuff in the past, i think its because we have a lack of a maping community, or if we do have one, were not active or organised.

The map forum gets a topic maybe one a blue moon, and I don't think its because we have no talented mappers, There is just no activity in here, we need to revive this forum, people need to make, submit, start some maps, even if they are just single maps, no campaigns

Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: