ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > What do u think of the Undead?
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

What do u think of the Undead?  
folder icon   02-20-2002, 10:19 AM
What do u think of the Undead? Post #1
Thurin II

Catapult

I think the Undead are okay, but what I've heard is they really need some tweaking. I think taking out the skeleton archer was stupid and they should put him back in

Defeat isn't just a outcome, it is a state of one's mind
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Post #2
Black~Enthusiasm

War Chief

Whit the undead, can you go only ghoul/gargoyle/crypte fiend, like, you know, the Starcraft equivalent of zerglin/Muta/gardian ??? Is it a good strategie ?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Post #3
Darth_Hawk32

Critter

I think the undead are fairly cool but they should have left the origional Death knights in like the ones in war2 but without their powers like they had said

folder icon   02-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Post #4
-FOOTMAN-

Catapult

The look ok but they are much 2 weak!! Especially the Dread Lord and the Frost Wyrm! The Dread Lord has a weak attack and isn't much good and the Frost Wyrm needs a much stronger attack!! His freez breath is good tho!!

TO ARMS!!!!
folder icon   02-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Post #5
WhoaGod

Wyvern Rider

I agree the Undead are to weak. They need a anti-air unit, like the skeleton archer back.They also gotta decrease the gold mine cost, that is WACK! If they do this than the UNdead would be much better!!

folder icon   02-20-2002, 05:09 PM
Post #6
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

I think the gold mining is good... you don't even have to build another town hall (or whatever the undead call it) to mine another location. The only thing so far I don't like is that they have two differant units for gold and for lumber, that really screwed with me for a while... till I got killed.

Fun Infused Games | My Blog | Smooth Operator | Evilscale | Wellplayed.net
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-21-2002, 04:43 AM
Post #7
The Slayer

Tauren Chieftain

What the hell are you people talking about?! The Deathknight fucking rocks. Deathcoil is like the second coming. and they have weak air?! R O F L!!! MUAHAHA simpletons can u say Gargoyle? and wtf? Frostwyrm don't got a lame attack... sure it's not MASSIVE compared to it's HP but it's reasonable enough so its not pure ownage. I think Lich pretty much sucks EXCEPT for DeathNdecay... yeah, dread lord aint a power house but nobody uses him anyway. just go Deathknight and ghouls... then later in game go gargoyle and mix the fucking ghouls in with the gargoyles...

-Chieftan
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-21-2002, 11:30 AM
Post #8
Rondax

Peon

I'll tell ya, I've played the undead a bunch and the abominations are wonderful. They got massive hit points and do massive damage. They can easily take on knights or taurens and the weenie units don't stand a chance against them. Backed up by the arachnids, they are pretty consistent in terms of beating down ground units. As far as anti-air goes, with web everything in the air is brought down anyway for your arachnids and abominations to beat on. I've used the gargoyles a bit, but haven't really seen their merits. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about the strong points of the gargoyles.

folder icon   02-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Post #9
deathofspam

Arch Druid

I don't think the dread lord is too weak at all. He is the only hero I used after my first match, and I went undefeated after I started using him. The ghoul lumber took a bit of getting used to, but I like it, because it means you have a real defencive character back in town at all times. I agree with rondax, if you can't build a good force with the undead, you really do need to try those. I think the gargoyles are a pretty good unit to have around, because day or night if they take too much damage, you jsut find a safe spot, stone form them, and they are ready to go with full health in just a short while.

"What makes a person so poisonous righteous, that they think less of anyone who dares disagree?"
-Moxy Fr?vous
DarkJesterZero1: your on my "Would have sex with list"
She wants a donkey punch, trust me. - Darkwolf
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Post #10
Sir Mat

Headhunter

Actually i think the undead look OK. I figure you come in a crypt fiend or two an abomination, a frost wyrm, a necromancer,a gargoyle maybe, and a couple of ghhouls. get your crypt fiends to keep theyre air units down. get all you melee guys exept for the abomination and frost wyrm to attack. get the abomination to protect the necromancer that so he can keep on raisen some skeletons. you take the frost wyrm to go use frost breath on the gaurd towers(if they have any)(or wich ever buildings are protecting the entrance to the town)then once the frost wyrm has done that you can get him to start attakin' somr guys.the gargoyle you use to attck the towers while they arent funcioning.if the gaurd towers "thaw"(if frost breath wears off) then just use the frost wyrm to freeze them again.

NOTE: I do not have the beta so this strategy is still untested.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Post #11
Sir Mat

Headhunter

and also, if you have a banshee you can just turn some of theyre guys into youre units.

heck if your undead and your allied with humans you can ask, em to give ya a peasent and then you could build a human town to control yourself, you could do the same thing with all the races.

NOTE: theese strategies are still untested.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-21-2002, 08:33 PM
Post #12
KingMountain

Witch Doctor

I think the undead crypt fiend(if thats the spider thing) is toooooo powerful. And its attack should dissapear after awhile. I ran into some of those ran all the way across the map and the attack followed me the whole way and killed me. I dont see an arrow or bullet doin that.

folder icon   02-21-2002, 09:28 PM
Post #13
Anti-Paladin909

Raider

I don't think yall are using enough spells, Dread lord is an awesome hero with his sleep spell.

At lvl three it will put a unit to sleep for 60 SECONDS! that will make creep killing easy and the heros are taken out the way and Dark Summoning is also too!

Also the Lich has good spells like Frost armor on Abom's rock! You guys should check out http://www.digiclub.org/war3/ this site has Hero strats and game logs. read the game logs they are awesome telling great stories and strats! Undead are awesome You just gotta learn how to use them.

If Al Gore takes away guns. How da hell is Karl Malone gonna shoot squirrel. In the 14th Admendment, it says thou shalt bear arms. Thou shalt means You should. Bear arms means have gun. You should have gun. (Karl Malone) (Jimmy Kimmel 'The Man Show')
folder icon   02-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Post #14
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

The Dread Lord's attack is too weak for a Demon( he's a demon, right?), but a lvl 3 vampiric aura makes all the difference in the world. Take like 5 abominations, a few crypt fiends, a meat wagon, a couple of necros, and some gargoyles and you're set. A frost wyrm is a nice addition too. The abominations have 750 hps I think, but with leech it makes it like 1200 hps. Necros are handy to keep around cus they autocast skeletions so you don't have to mess with it. Skeletons aren't that powerful, but they draw fire. Meat wagons are great artillery, especially with their aura, if they still have it. Gargoyles are somewhat weak, but they're fast, so they work as long as they only attack air. I prefer to use the Crypt Fiend's web and let my melee units handle it. Frost Wyrms do great damage I think. If you have a DeathKnight, you can use the spell that kills a unit for shield points(think its dark ritual?) on skeletons. Since skeletons will crumble anyway, you might as well give the death knight a few hundred extra hps. I particularly like reanimate dead, you can get some powerful units on you side real quick.

folder icon   02-22-2002, 04:22 AM
Post #15
Seraph

Kodo Beast

hmm when i use the undead most of the time i use death knight with a combo of crypt fiends ( i fully upgrade the fiends attacks and defense) it seems to work most of the time .. and i can take down air units with the web ability . I rarely use the other units .. although sometimes i use ghouls to rush but very rarely

folder icon   02-22-2002, 09:26 AM
Post #16
TheUndertow

Shaman

I think all of the undead heroes are pretty useful. Death knight can heal your guys, dread lord can put your opponents' heroes to sleep, and lich can flat out level a base with d&d. Their only problem is expanding since you have to haunt a mine before you can put down some ziggurats-->spirit towers for protection. You have to be absolutely sure that you can hold that expo or you can really run into trouble. Every time I have tried early expansion with undead I have died.

And the undead also seem to have this big gap in unit cost because you start with the ghoul at 130 gold and then you make a big jump to crypt fiend at I think 250 gold (some lumber, don't remember how much) or gargs at 330 gold/some lumber. That is a big jump and I'm having a hard time figuring out when it's a good idea to start building those expensive guys. I don't know if it's just me but the crypt fiend build time seems really long to me. I was doing some build tests and with NE I was able to get 4 archers and 3 huntresses by nighttime, but with undead going straight to crypt fiend I only got about 2 ghouls and 3 crypt fiends by nighttime. Not an even matchup at all. If you go all ghoul in the beginning you can get 9 ghouls with both upgrades by nighttime, which is more even. Crypt fiend still seems to cost too much to me.

Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: