Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/thegeekm/forumsx.net/includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php on line 592

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/thegeekm/forumsx.net/includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php on line 592
ForumsX - Bonus Pool and stuff...
ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > StarCraft II Discussion > Bonus Pool and stuff...
Search this Thread:

newthread reply StarCraft II Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Bonus Pool and stuff...  
folder icon   10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Bonus Pool and stuff... Post #1
Roof Shingles

Gargoyle

Heyo Folks...

Some questions for you guys... It is in reagrds to the bonus pool in SC2.

Here are my assumptions/understanding:

A) Everyone in a league has 0 bonus pool as soon as a new season starts.
B) If you join a league after the initial season start date, you are still given all the bonus pool points that everyone else acquired.
C) Everyone gets 1 bonus pool point for every two hours, if they are online or not.
D) If you have enough bonus pool points, your points are awarded after a win. Your points are doubled, and the extra points are taken out from your bonus pool (for example I win and get 20 points from the win, but I get an additional 20 points since my pool is like 200, but my pool is reduced by 20 points to 180).

So my questions:

1) This is suppose to help those peeps who don't play as much (I'm one of those), but I'm not sure that it does. Suppose IPlayLots plays alot... and IHardlyPlay doesn't. Now I understand that IPlayLots will go through his bonus pool more quickly, and that eventually he will not be getting any bonus points for his wins. Meanwhile IHardlyPlay is getting bonus points for every game he wins (so long as his bonus pool is not 0). But mathematically this benefits IPlayLots more. IPlayLots still used up his whole pool but IHardlyPlay may not. For example, suppose IPlayLots and IHardlyPlay joined the same league at the same time, they both start out with 200 bonus pool. IPlayLots will get those 200 points added to his points say within a day. And by the end of the next day IPlayLots' bonus pool acquires 12 more points (24 hours / 2 = 12 points). And of course he uses up these 12 points the next day and eventually he is back to 0 (rinse and repeat). IHardlyPlay only plays 2 games a day and wins 1 of them, and suppose each time he is awarded 12 points for the win and an extra 12 from the bonus pool. IPlayLots continues to play, using up his 12 bonus points each day, while IHardlyPlay's bonus pool is always at around 200. Well if this is the case, then IHardlyPlay will never get those 200 extra points, but IPlayLots did. If all my assumptions are right, this is what is happening, and it defeats the purpose. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the bonus pool grows, cause having the bonus pool increase if you're online or not does not work for me. If this one fact were different then I would see how this bonus pool thing helps IHardlyPlay. So my question, are my assumptions/understanding correct and is this bonus pool thing bullshit? And if you do provide an explanation please also provide a link with your source, thanks.

2) When does a new season start? I think a new one just started cause me and a bud used to have like 600+ bonus pool and now we're at 78.

Thanks folks,

Last edited by Roof Shingles on 10-04-2010 at 01:25 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Post #2
TheMadMac

I use bonus pools to push me towards 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4. Right now I have lots in 4v4, so I play that. When my 1v1 bonus pool is high, i'll go play that.

And also, no one has the right calculation on how those bonus points are accumulated, because my 4v4 bonus pool is ALWAYS higher than my 1v1.

A new season has not started. Everyones ranking will disappear with the new season. Bonus pool is just whack.

If anything, I think it encourages people to play a lot and to rotate their type of playing, be it 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4.

folder icon   10-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Post #3
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

It's basically like rested XP in WoW. Yeah, the person who plays a lot is going to use all of it that they earn, but it still helps out the people who don't play as much because they'll probably get it on almost every game, so they get to a given rating with fewer games due to the bonus pool. I think it works fine.

folder icon   10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Post #4
TheMadMac

I think I got it. It doesn't discriminate between "IPlayLots" and "IHardlyPlay". It's for two players who are both in the "IPlayLots" category.

So one guy joins on the day of the release. He plays for one year solid and suddenly stops. New guy joins, but doesn't really want to play for a solid year, seems kinda gay. However, Since New Guy has more bonus pool it doesn't take him nearly as many games to get past the first guy. It only takes him HALF that time, because he has a years worth of Bonus points.

Yeah, the first guy has QUIT, but that's what the bonus pool is for. We don't want the ladder to represent GHOSTS, we want them to represent people who are playing NOW. And rather than penalizing people for not playing (like in warcraft III) the game encourages you to play at any time. Every game you play is worth more than the game you played yesterday (as long as you use up your whole bonus pool).

People that quit lose out on bonus points so people who haven't played nearly as much can still be competitive. Meanwhile, "IPlayLots" still gets all the same benefits AS LONG as he continues to play all the time. Clearly, the guy who plays every day should be rewarded, i mean he's playing all the damn time. But if he quits, others should be allowed to compete with him on some level.

How's that sound?

Return to Top  

newthread reply StarCraft II Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: