ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Article - WarCraft future - thoughts?
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Article - WarCraft future - thoughts?  
folder icon   12-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Article - WarCraft future - thoughts? Post #1
Lightbringer

Priest

After years of struggle, while looking upon the tiny battlefield that sits on your computer screen, the end will finally come... or at least one kind of end, and a new beginning, followed by a killer MMORPG, and then maybe another RTS, but eventually the end will come. While the great catastrophic battles, fought between good, evil, and those in-between, come to a start, we can look at this war between races as a 'WarCraft World War 2.. or 3', or whatever number it's at this far. This war, all though a complete fairy-tale designed by the great minds at Blizzard Entertainment, will be like any movie or book, in that it will wrap its arms around our attention, and not let go. So, what is the future of these games? Where does the tale end? And for the newer WarCrafters, where did it start?

So how did this all start. I'll make this as brief as possible. Demons corrupted the Orcs in their world of Draenor and used them as a tool for destroying their enemies, the people of the world of Azeroth, including the Elves and Humans. They succeed in sending their servants into their land but fail to destroy the human race. Two wars are fought like this, the first one the Orcs win, the second the Humans win. As a sort of spin-off of the second war, in which the humans were somewhat victorious in simply taking back what was theirs, the Humans are forced into Draenor. The leader of the Orcs causes a devastating end to the world, which in turn destroys everything including most of the Orcs and Humans there. Fifteen years pass and the Orcs try to regain their place in the world, they soon find a new leader and go to Kalimdor. The Humans are assaulted by the Undead, led by the dead Orc leader. The Humans pretty much lose the fight, and are forced to go to Kalmidor as well, to defend the great World Tree from the invading demons, who are led into this world by the Undead. The demons are fought off and all seems well. The war continues in the expansion and the humans are still losing to the Undead. The whole war leads to the Ice Crown glacier, 'capital' of the 'Undead Empire'. A fight ensues between two pivotal heroes, in which the evil prince of the Undead, Arthas, wins. Arthas' body is taken over by the King of the Undead, and they become one, leading to even further Undead domination, and thus the end. All we know is that World of WarCraft takes place four years after this, and we can guess that not much has happened since then, except the Undead dominate the northern continent of Azeroth, and the last remaining Humans dominate the southern half. As far as what storyline info will be released in this next game, I doubt much. Perhaps clues to what has already happened, and some information on secret things about the world will come to surface, but other than that, we won't see much.

So where will the storyline go? Seeing the pattern of the Blizzard storymakers from the other games, I see WarCraft 4 as being extremely dramatic, and changing the way we look at the game, once again. Most likely, more land will be added, and I don't doubt if we see an entire new world. We will undoubtely see more races, very indepent ones we have never seen before. More heroes will come out, and others will die. The storyline thus far will be slightly changed, and we will begin to wonder once again about the consistency of their storyline, but non-the-less, it will be very entertaining. More dramatic detail will be revealed about the heroes we know so far, along with the nations of the land. Humanity will probably make a huge victory or a huge loss (I'm betting on victory for either War4 or its expansion). The demons will be back and the Undead (too important take out, obviously). It will be either the best or worst WarCraft game yet, and most likely the last, as to not stretch it out too much. My bet is the Humanity will ultimately win. Blizzard, at heart, wants the good guys to win, and they only allow the bad guys to win to make the game more interesting and exciting. The Humans and Elves will destroy the demons (perhaps even travelling through the Twisting Nether, wouldn't that be cool?) and the franchise will go out in a big bang, kinda like Lord of the Rings, or at least Blizzard will try. Of course, despite calling it their last WarCraft game, they'll probably make another one six years later and call THAT their last game.. but it'll be totally crappy if they did. So what's the only thing to be sure of? That they'll make a War4 or something similar in 6-10 years, and we'll either love it or hate it. I really hope we love it.

Opinions?

folder icon   12-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Post #2
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

First... you missed the fact that the Night Elves, Orcs, Tauren and trolls will help the humans defeat the demons in warcraft 4... which still won't be the end of the series. Blizzard could easily hang the end above our heads for years and never let us have more than a taste of the story at a time... hell, for all we know, they might plan on ending it at Warcraft 10...

Second... the next warcraft game will not be the worst, rather, one of the best. Don't make assumptions on the end of a series we all know and love, because, unless you work at blizzard, you have no real knowledge of it...

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   12-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Post #3
Lightbringer

Priest

I said the series will either end as the worst OR the best, they will either blotch up the ending (which is very well possible, i mean, how do u know?) or it will be end in awesome bang. Also, this is obviously a very short article, so no, the other races are barely included, sorry. I'll write a longer one later.

folder icon   12-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Post #4
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Hmm.. meh.

Well, were you expecting the destruction of Lordaeron in Warcraft 3? The immagration of the people of Lordaeron and the Orcs to Kalimdor??? No, no one did. This is how we all expect the next RTS game to be in the Warcraft series, a big surprise full of twists, and, as you call them, "Big Bangs". I doubt anyone here would disagree. Of course, for all we know, Blizzard may make something that completely throws the world into war in World of Warcraft... no one knows. It's all what we think and suspect, which is what this is about... so yeah, just regard all of what I say in this as theories and suspicions(sp?)...

folder icon   12-10-2003, 06:49 AM
Post #5
NE(O)MEGA

Grunt

In truth the warcraft world will outlive us all in some form. Speculating on how the series will end is faulty logic since it cannot be determined or even closely guessed due to the timeframe we're talking about. The nature of all games is that they continue to make 1 after another until the series becomes undesirable, and thus unprofitable. Eventually this is true with all games, look at the old console war in the mid 90's, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil were the top games of 95, and reading old magazines of that time, you'll hear nothing but "this is amazing" and "truely a great game." Nowadays these games are lucky if anyone cares when a new one is coming out. And ohh remember Street Fighter, THE defining fighting game, it "pushed the limits of games to the edge,"
say that now and get laughed at.
The truth is somewhere down the line, blizzard will either not change enough and people will say its the same old warcraft, or they will change too much and people will say its too dfferent. The day will come when someone say
"Warcraft X is coming out", and you reply "who cares."
Many of my close friends feel that way about tft, as they chose not to buy it dispite my advice, turning back the clock to play starcraft instead.
I really dont think blizzard will ever release a definative end to the series and thus the story will never "wrap up." They'll make each game open ended to ensure that if they want to make another they can, but at last they will choose not to make another and however the story was left thats what will be the end.
I remember beating brood war so long ago and thinking, "ohh man, what happens after that", well its a good thing I didnt hold my breath.

folder icon   12-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Post #6
Kjell Thusaud

War Chief

Micky Mouse on Crack

Lightbringer : it started quite a while before the corruption of the orcs (spell of eternety ,the titans, etc) .

bsides i doubt warcraft will lose its thouch hey, its classic AND new, it will stay so i convince myself. It is so adaptable, i say. even if there comes an other, better, game there wil shure be people like me that klings to old shitty games of the 90-ies and 00-ies(<--term?).

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   12-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Post #7
Lightbringer

Priest

1. my article is pretty short, so i didnt start from the way beginning, srry

2. I was simply making the point that I believe the WarCraft series will eventually die out, especially if they stretch it out, it's my prediction, it could either come true, or it wouldn't, you have no way of knowing. And i never said 'who cares', you'll never see me say that.

folder icon   12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Post #8
Yuber8900

Knight

I say the series keeps advancing in technology until it becomes StarCraft level.

folder icon   12-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Post #9
UndeadScottsman

Banshee

Had World of WarCraft never have been put into developement, I would most certainly expect to see another WarCraft RTS somewhere down the line (Not for another 5 or more years, of course) but now I'm not so sure. The way I see it, World of WarCraft presents a few variables into making a direct RTS sequel. (Such as the handling of the ongoing storyline accross multiple servers and with tons of different player combinations) There's about five ways I can see that would allow Blizzard to make a new RTS while WoW is out..

1. Put it way in the future, like by 20-30 years.. By that time rolled around in real life, I doubt anyone would be playing WoW (Hell, WoW2 would probably be out ) The probably with this is that it makes the transistion between War3/WOW to the next game disjointed.. ALl of your favorite hero's are going to be really old, or dead.. (Aside from Alonsus Faol, who will never die )

2. Put it way in the past.. There's several wars that we've only read about (War of the Ancients, the Draenei extermination, the Troll Wars of Lordaeron, the War of the Spider) which would be cool to see in action (Although the War of the Ancients is going to be gone into detail in the upcoming trilogy by Richard Knaak)

Hell, they could even recreate WarCraft 1 and 2 (ANd the expansion) in a newer, more storyline intensive engine.. Hell, I'd buy it. The main probably though, is that everyone already knows the outcome to the stories

3. Say WoW is an alternative universe. I personally hate this idea, but it would resolve any problems coming from having WoW as a link in the storyline chain.

4. It's called the WarCraft universe; not the Azeroth Universe.. Currently, we've seen a whopping TWO different worlds in the entire Great Dark Beyond.. There's gotta be more out there that the Titan's have messed with. Plenty of places untouched by WoW's existance.. Unfortunatly, there's the problem that people who play WarCraft expect to play in Azeroth Although this gives me a fantastic idea for a spinoff game!

5. This is the really, really off-the-wall, it would never work idea, but it sounds cool anyway. Have the new RTS not only take place DURING WoW, but INTEGRATE it into WoW as well. Either by having the various battles happening in real time (Which might not be as cool, since everyone would know the "proper" outcome and you wouldn't be able to change it.. Not a whole lot of fun) or the really, really crazy idea. Have the entire singleplayer campaign be playable online, and then be able to use players in WoW that are of the right level and faction, as the heros. They would be playing essentially an instanced map, fighting hordes of enemies alongside your troops. It would probably never work, but it'd be fun as hell

As per the storyline of the would-be sequel, there's currently at least 4 different organized "big evil forces" concentrated on Azeroth... the Burning Legion, the Undead Scourge, the Old Gods (If they were ever to be released) and the Naga.. Not to mention a ton of smaller nuscienses like the Gnolls, Harpies, etc. etc. That's a lot of groups you'd need to wipe out in order to completely end any tangeant of storyline. Much more than can be utterly wiped out in a single game without making it seem cheap, easy or rushed. There's plenty of potential for the storyline of many, many future games, but the trick is working them around WoW.

Weee! Fun topic!

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Confusing the hell out of those on this forum."
folder icon   12-11-2003, 11:44 PM
Post #10
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Yo... Scottsman... aren't the Rockjaw Troggs servants of the Old Gods that the Gnomes released upon diggin' too deep? I thought I read that somewhere... that they are actually the only remaining *known* servants and worshippers of the Old Gods...?

Also... the last option would be sweet, but would never happen... unfortuanately...

Also... there's plenty of nuiesences(sp?) that I'll list since you didn't (and for more examples):

Rogue Wizards(tons of these guys)
Ogres
Forest and Ice Trolls(even though I prefer to think of them as armies that will come in Warcraft 4)
Troggs
Centaurs(a very large one)
Quillboars/Razormanes
Revenants(not a lot... but they are dangerous)
Satyrs
Naga that are still with Azshara
Black Dragons
and pretty much any other creep that pops up alot...
Oh, and the Ghosts

folder icon   12-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Post #11
UndeadScottsman

Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljins-Return
Yo... Scottsman... aren't the Rockjaw Troggs servants of the Old Gods that the Gnomes released upon diggin' too deep? I thought I read that somewhere... that they are actually the only remaining *known* servants and worshippers of the Old Gods...?

The current word in the Manual of Monsters is that Troggs were created by the Titan's to do the job that Dwarves were eventually created to do, but they ended up corrupted. Dwarven scholors are thinking that the Old God's interfered with their creation somehow, but it's all just theory, in-game anyway. Plus there's the various Elemental's that the Old God's once had under their sway, such as Revenant's. And even the Unbroken/Faceless/Forgotten One's sound like 100% traditional Lovecraftian "Old God" stuff.
Quote:
Also... the last option would be sweet, but would never happen... unfortuanately...
Yep. Totally agree with you there.
Quote:
Also... there's plenty of nuiesences(sp?) that I'll list since you didn't (and for more examples):

Rogue Wizards(tons of these guys)
Ogres
Forest and Ice Trolls(even though I prefer to think of them as armies that will come in Warcraft 4)
Troggs
Centaurs(a very large one)
Quillboars/Razormanes
Revenants(not a lot... but they are dangerous)
Satyrs
Naga that are still with Azshara
Black Dragons
and pretty much any other creep that pops up alot...
Oh, and the Ghosts
Heh, there are more than that..

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

folder icon   12-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Post #12
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadScottsman

Heh, there are more than that..

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

I know, thats why I said "and pretty much any other creep that pops up alot..."... plus, I was lazy

folder icon   12-12-2003, 01:38 AM
Post #13
UndeadScottsman

Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljins-Return
I know, thats why I said "and pretty much any other creep that pops up alot..."... plus, I was lazy
Which is why I put etc. etc. at the end of my short list

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

folder icon   12-12-2003, 01:44 AM
Post #14
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Hm, I just like giving a bunch of examples, may not make it more simple, but does give a better idea...

folder icon   12-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Post #15
Lightbringer

Priest

I think a cool idea, as i said above, would be to travel through the twisting nether, and maybe to an alternate world once owned by the Titans. One massive sea with an island in the middle with rivers and gardens... it would be really beatiful and thered be statues everywhere... but no one lives there, which makes it kinda weird. And it would be kinda dream-like.

Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: