ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > General Discussion > *STICKY* Once A Week Pledge
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

*STICKY* Once A Week Pledge  Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »
folder icon   09-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Post #36
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Yes; Yes it was.
Horrifying awful.

Kudos to you for getting the reference, well done man!. And here I was thinking it would be suitably obscure to fly under the radar (so to speak) yet manifestly relevant to the topic of getting the last word no matter the cost.

folder icon   09-23-2015, 01:58 AM
Post #37
Funderbunk

Farseer

To be fair, it wasn't much worse than the fourth and fifth books in the series.

folder icon   09-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Post #38
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

I didn't mind the fourth one, the fifth was pretty repetitive and tiresome joke wise, but not a patch on how truly awful that sixth one was. In my opinion.

Many stories have been ruined by people 'finishing' a dead authors work.

folder icon   09-26-2015, 05:15 AM
Post #39
Funderbunk

Farseer

I hated the fourth book. It was just Arthur flying around with his new girlfriend all the time. There were only a handful of jokes in it.

folder icon   09-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Post #40
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

I didn't mind it.

But there is something to be said for authors who know when to let a story go. Some worlds/stories just need to move on or be left alone.

folder icon   09-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Post #41
Funderbunk

Farseer

One of the reasons I love the Discworld universe is because it is a persistent world with multiple stories. That's the best of both worlds for me. They're not direct sequels but they have the same "return to the world you liked before" feeling as sequels do without having the annoying "why are these characters in the same old shit again?" annoyance.

folder icon   10-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Post #42
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Agreed. I really enjoyed the Discworld universe.

Some fan fiction can be quite good as well.

I also like it when you find a strong story set in a world you are familiar with in a different media format. But really does all hinge on having a strong story.

folder icon   10-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Post #43
Funderbunk

Farseer

I guess we'll only have Discworld fanfiction from now on. Although I can totally enjoy awful stories too. Currently working my way through the World of WarCraft licensed books. Everything written by Knaak is truly as awful as people say it is.

folder icon   10-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Post #44
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

I have never got around to the Warcraft books. At the moment I am trying to work my way through all the culture novels of Ian M Banks. I think that they are fantastic, it is a universe that I just keep coming back too over and over

folder icon   10-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Post #45
Funderbunk

Farseer

Space Opera, eh? I'll put it on my list. Gonna go through Neuromancer after I'm done with these godawful WarCraft books (my god, is there no end to them?) and then I'll give those a try.

folder icon   10-16-2015, 03:08 AM
Post #46
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Not really a space opera no. They are all stand alone novels just set in the same universe. That is why I find it hard to find them ( I borrow most of my books from the library other wise it would be too expensive to read the amount I do). If you want a fourteen odd books to read I would suggest the 'wheel of time' by Robert Jordan. It's excellent fantasy

folder icon   10-18-2015, 09:28 PM
Post #47
Crusty_-_-Gloves

War Chief

I could commit to a once a year pledge. Maybe if the main discussion topic wasn't poorly written books people would contribute more To change this here's a picture I took this spring in Smith rock, Oregon.

Crusty_-_-Gloves has attached this image:

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Post #48
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Its all right we all know you can't read.

folder icon   10-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Post #49
Funderbunk

Farseer

folder icon   10-30-2015, 11:31 PM
Post #50
jackdaw

Shadow Hunter

So lets open this bitch up to new members....yeah??

Я ни псих или героя

Listen to my words. Fear not for I am an Angel, I Love you and I will guide you. ~ Malkavian Bible

"I am only a Product of your Necessity"
~ Jack The Prophet, The Book of Jack
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Post #51
Funderbunk

Farseer

Just unlocked Dragoons in Legacy of the Void.

<3

folder icon   11-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Post #52
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

fallout and lotv coming out on the same day makes me sad

folder icon   11-11-2015, 02:02 AM
Post #53
Funderbunk

Farseer

I hated Fallout 3 (I even hate the fact that it is named Fallout when it so clearly isn't a Fallout game) so I'm skipping 4. I want Fallout, not Oblivion with guns and more brown.

folder icon   11-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Post #54
Funderbunk

Farseer

Oh good god what the fucking hell. LotV was so awesome, up until the last 4 missions where it becomes so stupid that I feel like it was a weaponized way to make people hate all StarCraft forever. Giant space whale cthulhu monsters and ascended space angels and evil dimensions...

folder icon   11-16-2015, 10:21 PM
Post #55
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

yeah, wow. that ending. yeesh.

really enjoying fallout so far too. if you have a chance to at least pirate it and give it a try, i'd suggest it. might surprise you.

folder icon   11-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Post #56
Zorax

Sig Nazi

Haha LotV sounds terrible. Thanks for the heads-up on that one. I've been playing a lot of Invisible Inc. and Pillars of Eternity lately. I would recommend either one. Invisible Inc. is a stealthy, cyberpunk take on XCom. It's got a good sense of humour and some of the best nail-biting sneakery I've played since... well, I guess since ever. It's also not as overloaded with systems as XCom was (I'm looking at you, air-to-air combat and soldier customization), so it feels sleeker and a bit more jump-in-and-play.

Pillars of Eternity is an RPG unashamedly created in the style of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. Isometric view, complex team-based combat, a really magnificent character creator. But its real kicker is that the writing is not just passable but actually good and interesting. Which is important, since game is one-third D&D, two-thirds fantasy novel.

Oh, and my wife delivered our first baby two days ago. That about brings y'all up to speed.

folder icon   11-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Post #57
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Welcome to fatherhood.

Boy or a girl? I have two girls.

I don't have a computer that is able to run any new games...
Need to update but I don't have the money at the moment...
Welcome to family life...

folder icon   11-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Post #58
Zorax

Sig Nazi

Thanks! And congrats on your two girls. Ours is a boy. I was kinda hoping for a girl, but now that I've seen him I think I'll keep him.

folder icon   11-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Post #59
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Both times my wife was pregnant people ask me what I wanted. "A healthy baby" was always my response.

People seem to insist that the father 'really wants a boy' and the mother 'really wants a girl' so I always find it interesting to hear guys want girls. It flies in the face of general thought and attitudes.

I must admit though I was kinda hoping for a boy the second time, then we would have had the set. But then again we always said we wanted three so there is the possibility that we'll have a boy if we have a third. No matter what way it goes it wont be anytime soon. And I'll be able to update my computer soon too yay!... Or maybe I will just get a xbox or ps... Nah, most likely build a gaming desktop... Hell I don't know.

folder icon   11-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Post #60
Funderbunk

Farseer

Congratz on the babies for all. And here I can barely take care of myself.

Zorax: Respectfully disagree on Pillars of Eternity being a complex game. If you've ever played an MMO you know every fight in that game is tank n spank, even the optional hard mode stuff. Great writing though.

folder icon   11-27-2015, 01:21 AM
Post #61
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

congrats guys. that's awesome.

folder icon   12-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Post #62
Zorax

Sig Nazi

Thanks, guys!

Sammy: I encountered the same surprise when I'd tell people I was hoping for a girl. I always qualified it with "... but I'll be happy either way" of course, but people weren't sure what to make of a father who preferred having a baby girl. Truth is, I just tend to get along better with girls than guys.

Funder: I take your point about tank-n-spank. I was impressed by Pillars' level of customizability in combat, though. For example, I have a ranger armed with slow-ass muskets that I specialized in rapid reload times. I can think of three other valid ranger builds, and to me that's plenty of complexity for a single-player game. I wouldn't recommend Pillars without the writing, though; you're right that the combat alone wouldn't sell many tickets.

folder icon   12-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Post #63
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Z - With your reasoning behind wanting a girl do you think of it differently now you have a boy? Or do you still think it would be easier to get along with a daughter? (if so) Is it just a gut feeling or do you think that there is a major biological / behavioural difference between the sexes that leads to this / these behavioural archetypes?

I ask because I have encountered this line of reasoning before; but the person in question was not a friend and nor was it the appropriate setting to ask these questions. To clarify it was a women whom said she had always wanted a son because she had always found it easier to get along with males. Its an interesting idea.

folder icon   12-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Post #64
Bruce Campbell

Owl Scout

What I really want from you guys is a once a week pledge to watch my new show Ash vs Evil Dead. It's groovy.

folder icon   12-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Post #65
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

It's filmed here in New Zealand which makes it way cool.

folder icon   12-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Post #66
Zorax

Sig Nazi

Sammy, I wouldn't say that I had any hard-and-fast reasoning, if you mean in a general psychological or human nature kind of way. I don't go in for the Freudian arguments that sons naturally resent their fathers because of early fears about losing the mother, or ditto daughters and moms, or anything like that. Same with evolutionary psych; there are some interesting ideas, but too general to fit with my observations of real life. Any type of family can work as long as people are willing to listen to each other and do a little work. That's my belief, anyway!

So for me it was just a personal thing. My dad left us when I was three, and even though I saw him once or twice a year I was really raised by my mom and my older sister. Growing up, most of my close friends were girls. And come to think of it, that's still the case. So when the pregnancy came my gut said I would get along with a daughter easier than a son. That's all. But I'm of course happy with our little boy, and I'm looking forward to proving my gut wrong.

I have no opinion on The Evil Dead, old or new.

folder icon   12-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Post #67
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

I don't think anyone believes any Freudian nonsense these days, do they?

Evolutionary psychology is in vogue now but as you say only in general terms. There are/were obvious survival pro's to rearing large aggressive males in regards to primates. This tells us very little about your personal gut feelings.

No I wasn't interested in that way.

I am interested from personal and cultural terms.
Most of everything I have said in post before about parents to be wanting this or that relates only to (liberal) western culture. There are few women or men in middle eastern and eastern cultures who say they want a girl. I make exceptions of course but you do need a liberal culture which has idea's of sexual liberation and equality to find parents to be professing that they really want a girl. That is why you get so much infanticide of females world wide.

As to your reasoning (which is always a personal thing) would be put like this by most psychologist these days.

That we (I come for a similar home but have older brothers) have an irrational or rational fear (depends on who you are talking to) that we wont know how to 'be fathers' to boys as we lack personal experience of having a father. No mention of Freudian nonsense about resentment or Oedipus.
But this has flaws all in its self that we lack experience of seeing our fathers with our sisters too, but then you get someone saying 'yes, but that is not like for like. In one case you are talking about personal experience and the other you are talking about observational experience which you do in fact have as you have observed other fathers etc.' and then you get in to a big discussion about pro's and con's of this type of thought and psychology only to find that psychology isn't a real science anyway so what the fuck does it matter anyway.

But all and all it is interesting to hear peoples personal reasons for the beliefs and opinions they hold with reference to their experience. It's called being nosey...

folder icon   01-03-2016, 04:04 AM
Post #68
Dark Jester

Overlord

PoE was a weird game. Like, most games have moved to threat generation, not survivability as a primary tank stat. If you make survivability the only important stat then people will figure it out and make everything easy. Once you put threat gen in there then you can give it as a tradeoff of survivability. Since that wasn't the case, and the first scripted NPC party member is a perfectly fine tank for the whole game, that doesn't mean you need to explore much. Also, they made healing pretty much worthless. I don't even run a cleric or druid in my party and rarely does someone fall down unless i position them poorly. Once you get into DPS though some interesting shit came up. Rangers are worthless. Ciphers are broken as shit. Chanters are OP. Everything else is pretty meh. I liked the availability of dialogue paths, but everything pretty much leads to the same things happening. Not enough money to do it otherwise I suppose. Just sucks to have another, "Your decisions don't really matter in the end" game.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Post #69
Bryndon

Chaos Blademaster

Someone said "Warcraft 4" last year and I just wanted to mention that as of this afternoon there will be a Warcraft 3 HD map/remake/something on the starcraft 2 arcade. I don't know anything else about it! Only that it exists.

*EDIT - oh and warcraft 3 just got a brand new official patch. We live in a time of signs and wonders.

Last edited by Bryndon on 03-15-2016 at 10:17 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   03-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Post #70
Funderbunk

Farseer

I believe it's called Armies of Azeroth.

Return to Top  Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: