ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > World Of WarCraft Discussion > Teldrassil?!
Search this Thread:

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Teldrassil?!  
folder icon   07-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Teldrassil?! Post #1
Scorch Hellfire

Wyvern Rider

ok i just read the description of kalidar, and it says that Circle of Ancients and the druids put their powers together to grow a new world tree on kalidar, calling it teldrassil meaning "crown of the earth" as apposed to the original world tree, nordrassil which meant "crown of the heavens" i think. but the question here is what the hell happened to the old world tree?! why'd they have to grow a new one?! wtf?!

From the ashes of war we came...
From the magics of a foolish race we came...
And now we come again, with one solitary thing in mind...
TOTAL DOMINATION!
We come again at the beginning of a new reign, The Reign of Chaos, a reign that we will implement to scower the name of the Burning Legion across the universe as the ruler of all worlds!
So where there is war, we will be there...
Where there is death, we will be there...
And where there is pain, hatred, and evil, we will be there!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

---------------------
?Hola! Me llamo Scorch Hellfire. ?Y bienvinidos a Infierno S!

I only flame those who deserve it so CONSIDER YOURSELF ASHES!

Certified Scourge Cultist (tm)
~Demon Warlock~
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   07-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Post #2
Always Right

Anime Freak!

Never beat the RoC campaign, did ya?

Anyway, Nordrassil dun got blowed up.

Last edited by Always Right on 07-30-2003 at 08:47 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   07-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Post #3
The_Lone_Gunman*

Overlord

Right... as always...

during TFT i heard they (the NE) were trying to regrow it, but that might take awhile with the druids ever-waneing powers. that with the entire region of felwood being corrupted i can imagine that the NE might go a bit north...

Be respectful of your superiors, if you have any.~ Mark Twain
Actually, It turns out I'm the President of the Forums, and forgot.
http://forumsx.net/showthread.php?t=26044&page=3&pp=35
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   07-31-2003, 11:54 AM
Post #4
Arctic_Sniper

Night Elf Ranger

What I want to know is how they did it! The orignal world tree was grown in a make-shift well of eternity from a magical acorn from Ysera. Whats the deal did they make a new well and grab a new acorn or what?

CowUltrapunk: cuz u left the window open
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   07-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Post #5
.uber

Lore Geek

well i think the two world tree's are quite different. the first was made by alexstraza (not ysera) and nozdormu and ysera both placed enchantments on it. nozdormu's enchantment gaurenteed that as long as the tree stood, they'd be immortal and not age or get sick. ysera's tied the tree to her emerald dream - the ethereal place where the druids were thus obligated to spend centuries at a time. and yes, the second just seemed to be summoned by ancients and druids.

i also think it's important to note the difference in names - crown of heavens and crown of the earth. with the crown of the heavens gone, the ne no longer have immortality and the druids dont have to go into the emerald dream. i think the change in names marks a difference in power between the trees.

i think this new tree is just that, a tree. i dont think it holds any of the special powers of the former... well im sure it doesnt because it wasnt enchanted by the dragons (or perhaps blizz forgot to mention that >:| ). but then that raises the question, why in the hell would they just make another huge tree...? i dunno. but im almost positive that teldrassil doesnt embue the night elves with any special powers. perhaps they just wanted to create another symbol of their ties with nature in their new home. sort of in homage to the old world tree.

folder icon   07-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Post #6
Scorch Hellfire

Wyvern Rider

Quote:
Originally posted by Always Right
Never beat the RoC campaign, did ya?

Anyway, Nordrassil dun got blowed up.

uh yes i did, and no it didnt. it just got burnt. all that happened was the nes had to give up their powers back to it so it could heal itself. moron...

TOTAL DOMINATION!
We come again at the beginning of a new reign, The Reign of Chaos, a reign that we will implement to scower the name of the Burning Legion across the universe as the ruler of all worlds!

---------------------

~Demon Warlock~
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   07-31-2003, 09:24 PM
Post #7
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Scorch "Nordrassil dun got blowed up." Hes right, thats why the NE lost their power over nature or some shit... Anyhoo, I think that the new tree would have some sorta power, possible staving off coruption of the lands or something like that. Seeing as the NE are all lovey dovey tree huggers...

Guess well just have to wait and see.

folder icon   07-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Post #8
Arctic_Sniper

Night Elf Ranger

I gotta agree with schorch, the tree didnt blow up. In the last ne roc cinematic you saw the roots were still there and medivh said something about the roots healing in time.

CowUltrapunk: cuz u left the window open
folder icon   07-31-2003, 09:40 PM
Post #9
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arctic_Sniper
I gotta agree with schorch, the tree didnt blow up. In the last ne roc cinematic you saw the roots were still there and medivh said something about the roots healing in time.

In the FT dont they try to re-grow it to no aviel? Dont know, dont have the FT, that is what I be told though.

edit: Ohh. no matter if roots remain or not the tree to blowed up. Did you miss that apart of the cenimatic thingy?.

folder icon   07-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Post #10
Always Right

Anime Freak!

I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong, but not that I'm a moron. Asshole.

As I see it, the tree got burned because it blew up. All that was left was the roots. The actual tree part is gone. Medeiv said that it would heal 'in time', but we don't know how long that will take. Could take anywhere between two second to fifty billion years(or more) to grow back. Until then all the trees powers are gone, making the Night Elves mortal and vulnerable to "sickness or disease"(which I would think are basicaly the same thing, but meh).

If it was still around they wouldn't need a new tree.

folder icon   07-31-2003, 09:49 PM
Post #11
.uber

Lore Geek

Quote:
If it was still around they wouldn't need a new tree.

They might anyway, seeing as how they've moved their location.

I was talking to grunt about this a while ago though. It is a little confusing, the fate of the first world tree. I was always under the impression that it blew up, which I think the cinematic clearly shows. However, as grunt pointed out to me, the cinematic also showed the roots regrowing immediately, which would mean that by now, a couple years later, it had pretty well healed itself. However, after reading the WoW info, I got the subtle impression that Blizzard was implying that the original world tree was gone. Mighta just been my reading of it though.

folder icon   07-31-2003, 10:06 PM
Post #12
Always Right

Anime Freak!

P'rhaps. But if it was still around I wouldn't think that they'd need to move. Unless there was still a lot of demonic corruption around.

The roots did indeed begin to regrow immediatly, but it was a damned big tree. It may be able to fully regrow in a few years, but we have no way of knowing. The WoW story-line may reveal that something happened to it and either A) the regrowth slowed or stalled, or B) was completely destroyed by something.

Plus, they made Medeivs speech at the end a bit too dramatic if the tree would be back in a few years or less. The phrase "in time" implies that a lot of time will pass.

folder icon   07-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Post #13
Sammy the Saint

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Always Right
P'rhaps. But if it was still around I wouldn't think that they'd need to move. Unless there was still a lot of demonic corruption around.

The roots did indeed begin to regrow immediatly, but it was a damned big tree. It may be able to fully regrow in a few years, but we have no way of knowing. The WoW story-line may reveal that something happened to it and either A) the regrowth slowed or stalled, or B) was completely destroyed by something.

Plus, they made Medeivs speech at the end a bit too dramatic if the tree would be back in a few years or less. The phrase "in time" implies that a lot of time will pass.

I tend to agree with Always, after all I think hes right. anyhoo, also I think Medeivs speech is more along the lines of 'thing will get better as long as there are people willing to make then better' as for the tree itself, it can die form the coruption of the world, etc. Medeiv is not all knowing and can be wrong.

folder icon   07-31-2003, 11:23 PM
Post #14
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

The Night Elves no longer have any spiritual connection to Nodressil, and it's gonna take awhile to regrow(and it sure did get blown to pieces). So I guess the NE said 'fuck it' and moved to Kalidar, where the forest was untainted and welcomed their presence. Since nature and NE go hand in hand, I'm sure it was no problem making a new world tree. They'll just let the old one grow back itself.

As Uber said, names are important.

Heavens-made by dragons
Earth-made by Night Elves.

folder icon   08-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Post #15
Warlock

Arch Druid

Melina on Malygos

I'll just throw my two cents in here (as well as say I agree with Uber on the naming bit):

I'll use the High Elven Sun Well as an analogy here, even though there are a few large differences. The High Elves used the Sun Well as the base of their magical power. They were essentially tied to it, and when it was destroyed, they felt drained. Of course, the difference here, is that the High Elves were addicted to magic, the Night Elves are not.

Nordrassil was not necessarily the source of their magic, but it was the source of their immortality (among other things I imagine) and as such, I'm sure they were tied to it just as closely. The tree is not completely dead so to speak, but it's damaged severely.. Of course you know Medivh said "The roots will heal in time" which is true. But I don't suspect it will be a few years. Trees usually take a few decades to grow fully. Now this is a magical tree so there may be a difference (and I'm sure there is considering Teldrassil is already grown), but I suspect that the damage done to the tree will make this process a slow one. So, Teldrassil was created in its place to fill that void left by Nordrassil's destruction.

Anyways, all this is conjecture of course. The Night Elves have lived under Nordrassil for so long, perhaps they just felt it important to create Teldrassil to replace it. Like if someone blew up the White House, of course a new one would be built (or even the World Trade Center in NY whose successor is already planned or being built.. I'm not sure which).. they just feel the need to have it there. It represents their home (or capitol) in a way.

* WarCraft Trivia God! *

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-01-2003, 03:32 AM
Post #16
UndeadScottsman

Banshee

It's possible that the tainted forests of Felwood and such are somehow impeding Nordrassil's growth. Just a thought.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Confusing the hell out of those on this forum."
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Post #17
Vasilisk

Overlord

I am pretty sure the whole roots regrowing thing is purely symbolic. Medivh was setting the whole WarCraft universe at ease, placing it in the mind frame for World of WarCraft. The tree represented the greatest sacrifice, and although the world is ravaged, time will heal itself. The scars and pain left by the Burning Legion will soon fade away. The regrowing of the roots is symbolic. I am pretty sure that the tree won't return any time soon.

And Warlock, I am pretty sure the druids draw a shitload of their power from the tree. After all, they gained immense power from the Emerald Dream, and with that gone, they no longer gain that power. Since the Emerald Dream was linked directly to the Tree itself.

The whole naming thing is extremely significant. No longer is it Crown of Heavens. For the fate of Azeroth no longer lies in the hands of Titans and Guardians. It now lies in the hands of the Earth, the children of the world, to watch over Azeroth. I think Blizzard has done a beautiful job adjusting this.

folder icon   08-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Post #18
Scorch Hellfire

Wyvern Rider

thank you for that insighful explanation vasilisk, but the ? still remains. i mean other than filling the void created by nordrassil being damaged, what is teldrassils true purpose. i mean if it was created by the nes (who drew their power from nordrassil) and the ancients (who essentially are decended from nordrassil) then it cant be too powerful... at least no where near the original world tree...

TOTAL DOMINATION!

---------------------

~Demon Warlock~
folder icon   08-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Post #19
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

Consider the tree a gift to the forests of Kalidar. It's a pact between the elves and the forest, so the elves make peace with nature by offering such gifts as a token of peace. That's purpose enough for the formation of the new world tree.

folder icon   08-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Post #20
.uber

Lore Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorch Hellfire
thank you for that insighful explanation vasilisk, but the ? still remains. i mean other than filling the void created by nordrassil being damaged, what is teldrassils true purpose. i mean if it was created by the nes (who drew their power from nordrassil) and the ancients (who essentially are decended from nordrassil) then it cant be too powerful... at least no where near the original world tree...

Well Nordrassil, the original world tree had no real purpose originally. When Alexstraza created it, it was meant to simply symbolize the Night Elves' bond with nature. It only became someting more when Nozdormu and Ysera placed their enchantments on it. So it might be the safest bet to say that Teldrassil serves the same purpose as the non-enchanted Nordrassil - it's a symbol.

folder icon   08-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Post #21
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Well yeah- as uber said, we talked about this .

I was thinking that if Nordrassil is gonna regrow in time (even if it takes centuries), the Night elves are eventually gonna end up with two world trees .

I personally cant wait to see a pic of Teldrassil...must be pretty damn big :/. DO you think it'll be AS big as Nordrassil? Probably not, actualy :/.

folder icon   08-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Post #22
Scorch Hellfire

Wyvern Rider

has anybody seen that dbz movie tree of might? thats how big the world tree should be. you know since it is the world tree

TOTAL DOMINATION!

---------------------

~Demon Warlock~
folder icon   08-03-2003, 12:55 AM
Post #23
Vasilisk

Overlord

Is that the one that grows and grows then dies?

folder icon   08-03-2003, 05:16 AM
Post #24
Jeltz

Demi-God

Teldrassil and Nordrassil. Geuss what I think the names may have to do something woth Ygdrassil, the world tree in norse mythology.

I eat robots for breakfast with syrup A(CBRT)
Show me! show you! Kikkomaan!

folder icon   08-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Post #25
Jezta

The Black Sphynx

And to add myself to this mix, the new world tree is indeed more of a replacement in my eyes. With Felwood corupted (look at the name...it was bound to happen...) and with Furbolgs, Harpies, Gnolls, and who knows what else running around, the old tree, and the Night Elves there, are in trouble. They made a new home, and a new tree. This tree may also become as powerful as the old, perhaps Ysera and Nozdormu have a part to play in this...who knows? Malfurion is a busy little guy, after he heals the Silverwood back in Lordaeron (I think thats what hes up to nowadays...) he may ask the two Dragons for thier aid in restoring the Night Elves to thier former power...

..or the Gaurdian Dragons may all very well be dead, no one has seen or heard or them in quite some time, but thats another matter.

folder icon   08-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Post #26
Vasilisk

Overlord

Where did you read he was healing the forests in Loradreon? FT? And the dragons are alive and kicking. Ysera is busy with her own problem at Stranglethorn along with her dragonspawn.

folder icon   08-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Post #27
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Vasilisk
Where did you read he was healing the forests in Loradreon? FT?
He was in/near Silverpine forest when he attempted to do so, I think...

folder icon   08-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Post #28
Vasilisk

Overlord

Don't have FT yet, but familiar with storyline. Hmm... that is cool. Thanks.

folder icon   08-03-2003, 04:33 PM
not so sure about silverpine Post #29
.uber

Lore Geek

I don't think Furion is trying to heal the Silverpine forests. In FT he communes with the land to figure out what Illidan is up to, and he says "these forests have sufered greatly," however once Illidan goes through his portal to Outland Furion and Tyrande agree that it's time to go home for some well-deserved rest. I'd say that means they're not messing with Lordaeron's forests. Besides, Sylvanas and Varimathras, aka the Forsaken are now ruling over those lands, remember?

folder icon   08-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Post #30
Jeltz

Demi-God

I think that Furion considered to heal the forest but decided to go home.

I eat robots for breakfast with syrup A(CBRT)
Show me! show you! Kikkomaan!

Return to Top  

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: