ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > General Discussion > Why the Nintendo Revolution will fail
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Why the Nintendo Revolution will fail  Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
folder icon   06-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Why the Nintendo Revolution will fail Post #1
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

Excert from an article detailing the plays for HD gaming on PS3, Xbox 360, and Revolution...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/624/624516p2.html

Quote:
Nintendo, on the other hand, has downplayed the role of technology in its future console, codenamed Revolution, which is believed to ship in the latter half of 2006. Company president Satoru Iwata says that advancing technology has stifled the creativity of developers. Revolution, a slick, relatively small console, has been designed to be "quiet and affordable," according to company executives. As a result, the platform will likely be less powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360.

A customer service e-mail informed Nintendo fans last week that the company would not offer high-definition support for Revolution. However, the e-mail was immediately changed to state that Nintendo was undecided about whether or not to support the format. Since then, it appears to have made up its mind and HD is again officially out.

They did the same thing with the N64 (not opting to go with CDs but rather stay with cartridges) and it bit them in the ass (a wound that they are still suffering from). Gamers want the best, not second or third rate. I know plenty of people that will base their decesion soully on which system is the most powerful and Nintendo will never be more than third without at least challenging them. I'm personally shocked that Nintendo would completly disregard the HD crowd, terrible move.

Also, isn't it a big ironic that a console called Revolution will be the least revolutionary? Unless you count size revolutionary... but I don't.

Fun Infused Games | My Blog | Smooth Operator | Evilscale | Wellplayed.net
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Post #2
Pikabutcher

Ranger

Well, the "ace" Nintendo supposedly has up it's sleeves is the Revolutionary feature. And that is the control, that they have yet to finish.

I can't say it's looking bright, but hey, Nintendo probably count on Microsoft and Sony to take a fight, leaving quite some audiences behind, thus creating a market for Nintendo. Another would be to focus on the women, with games such as Animal Crossing and Nintendogs.

But seriously I don't know. Things will go crappers, but who cares when I get the ability to play tons of old classics on the same console?

folder icon   06-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Post #3
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

I have those same tons of old classics on my PC already.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Post #4
Pikabutcher

Ranger

And I knew, even as I was writing my previous post, that you would say that. However playing emulators on a PC is NOT the same as playing them on a console.

folder icon   06-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Post #5
True Neutral

Wait, classics? Is it really that backwards compatible? Do NES games work?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Post #6
Avathar

Overlord

Hurray for Nintendo!

Cynics regarded everybody as equally corrupt... Idealists regarded everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves. - Robert Anton Wilson

Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism. - Carl Gustav Jung

Like a dream where you've lost all your fear. - Mark Olivier Everret (Mr. E)

Dominator of Spong of Monkeyent.

Tulip. - Avathar
folder icon   06-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Post #7
McLeod

Arch Druid

Dont worry, they will make some spinoff for it like Zelda: The Return Of Red Wizard Go Cart Dance-Dance Revolution and it will sell like mad.

Last edited by McLeod on 06-14-2005 at 11:17 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Post #8
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

If they ever make Dance Dance Gannon, I'm sold.

folder icon   06-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Post #9
McLeod

Arch Druid

Give me Mario Bros Beach Volleyball and I'm game.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Post #10
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

I'm surprized they don't have that already. One of my biggest beefs with Nintendo is that they slap Mario on just about everything and expect it will sell. What is the last origanal franchise they have developed? Could have been Dinosaur Island, but they decided to hammer-fit Star Fox into that. When does the madness stop? It is my prediction that soon all Nintendo games will feature Mario.

folder icon   06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Post #11
McLeod

Arch Druid

Yeah, but whole gaming industry seems to be that way. When was the last time Blizzard developped a new franchise? Everyone just keep recycling old ideas and there seems to be no end to this. But you have to admit that Mario Bros MMO game would be hawt. I mean you might get to be a mushroom, how cool is that?

folder icon   06-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Post #12
Kegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikabutcher
Well, the "ace" Nintendo supposedly has up it's sleeves is the Revolutionary feature. And that is the control, that they have yet to finish.

The same was said about the gamecube, that it has a "wonderful controller", and yes I enjoyed the controller, perhaps even more than xbox (and definitely more than playstation), but still, you can't start a "revolution" with one component.

It's like attacking an intelligent lifeform on mars but investing all your money in the navy. "Rockets? Spacecraft? We're gonna go for a quiet and affordable invasion and beef up the Navy, bitches."

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Post #13
Naes Reborn

Catapult

Sengal on Frostwolf

I'm inclined to agree. The Revolution is shipping too late, and as a result, Nintendo will have a problem on their hands. In addition, the technology simply won't be there. In the end, you can't redeem this through a unique control system. The PS3 is going to be the best-selling, seconded by the X360. Nintendo just isn't there anymore.

naes177

folder icon   06-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Post #14
Avathar

Overlord

If I was a moderator I would continually delete this "naes177" in all of Naes' posts.

Cynics regarded everybody as equally corrupt... Idealists regarded everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves. - Robert Anton Wilson

Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism. - Carl Gustav Jung

Tulip. - Avathar
folder icon   06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Post #15
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod
Yeah, but whole gaming industry seems to be that way. When was the last time Blizzard developped a new franchise? Everyone just keep recycling old ideas and there seems to be no end to this. But you have to admit that Mario Bros MMO game would be hawt. I mean you might get to be a mushroom, how cool is that?
Well, the differance I am seeing is that the repitition with other companies is sequels, like Warcraft III, Diablo III, Halo 3, ect. What Nintendo does is takes their established characters and places them in completely unrelated games... like Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mark Kart... see where I'm going? You don't see Master Cheif Archery or Twisted Metal Track & Field. Nintendo has all the opportunities to branch out and create new franchises but they seem hellbend on sticking Mario/Donkey Kong/ the red wizard from Legend of Zelda in everything.

I think they dumb down games and make them more friendly to audiences. Take Mario Kart for instance... the origanal game was great. The N64 version was good too. But instead of advancing on what they had done in the previos games, they essentially made the game simpler and easier to get into (less emphasis on driving techniques, more on weapons).

Nintendo is dead in the water releasing their console third and being the least powerful of all the consoles. Will I still get it? Maybe. I do like Zelda and Mario Kart... but is that really enough these days? Will I get a Xbox 360? Definately.

folder icon   06-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Post #16
Kegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
Will I still get it? Maybe. I do like Zelda and Mario Kart... but is that really enough these days? Will I get a Xbox 360? Definately.

I'm definitely buying Xbox 360, but I also will end up buying Nintendo's system purely because of Zelda. I've been hooked to that game since I was 5 or 6 (when I first played Link to the Past, which took me close to a year to beat, mostly because I had an ollllld cartridge that would erase its memory randomly, but still getting a year out of a game and unlimited replayability is priceless).

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Post #17
K.J.

Kodo Beast

Nintendo may be many things but dumb they are not people keep questioning things that they have done (ex. Cel-shaded Zelda and Donkey Konga both of which kicked ass by the way) and they always prove everyone wrong. While I don't think that they will outsell the competition at first I think what they are going for is making the console affordable so that later on when people get tired of having just one console and decide to get a 2nd one (which everyone always does) they will look at the revolution because of the price. Not to mention Nintendo has some of the most loyal fans in the world.

Not to mention I have a feeling xbox 360 isn't going to do as good as people are thinking cuz the only thing xbox has going for them is the Halo series I have never heard of a system surviving off of only 1 game series. People will get tired of having to wait for the next halo to come out and will start looking to the other systems for entertainment.

I love it when you call me Bunny loooooove!!

Last edited by K.J. on 06-14-2005 at 06:16 PM.
folder icon   06-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Post #18
Morkeliph

Abomination

I don't know, I think the Revolution will do fine. Nintendo still has a large cult following and this system proves to be much better than any of their past systems, except maybe the SNES. I really like the feature that you can download games from previous systems and play them on your hard-drive, I think that will draw quite a few people. Expecially if all the good old nintendo classics are available, like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc. I'm really hoping that you'll be able to get the old SNES Megaman games and such. True, XBOX has a much greater hold on the market, but I think Nintendo will be still going strong, especially since the GameBoy is still thriving. If Microsoft can get a powerful and fun portable gaming system, then they might *really* own the market, and that would be interesting to see. As for Sony, I don't know, I lost a lot of faith when the PS2 came out with pretty much the same games, I haven't been impressed with anything on PS2. Sony better step up on what games they produce or else they might fall behind both Nintendo and XBOX if you ask me, but maybe I'm just being silly. I don't really know a whole lot about the industry really, I just play.

"Behavior is a function of its consequences."
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Post #19
Kegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J.
Nintendo may be many things but dumb they are not people keep questioning things that they have done (ex. Cel-shaded Zelda and Donkey Konga both of which kicked ass by the way) and they always prove everyone wrong. While I don't think that they will outsell the competition at first I think what they are going for is making the console affordable so that later on when people get tired of having just one console and decide to get a 2nd one (which everyone always does) they will look at the revolution because of the price. Not to mention Nintendo has some of the most loyal fans in the world.

Not to mention I have a feeling xbox 360 isn't going to do as good as people are thinking cuz the only thing xbox has going for them is the Halo series I have never heard of a system surviving off of only 1 game series. People will get tired of having to wait for the next halo to come out and will start looking to the other systems for entertainment.

Ah, I see you're a Nintendo fan as well. You're going to have to get out of the "Nintendo will make a comeback" denial stage though. It took me a while, so don't feel rushed.

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Post #20
Morkeliph

Abomination

Quote:

XBOX has more going for it than Halo...like Ninja Gaiden, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and many others. Halo is popular, but it's not the only thing XBOX has going on, it is the most powerful system on the market.

"Behavior is a function of its consequences."
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Post #21
Avathar

Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeliph
I really like the feature that you can download games from previous systems and play them on your hard-drive, I think that will draw quite a few people.

Where can/will I be able to download them?

Tulip. - Avathar
folder icon   06-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Post #22
K.J.

Kodo Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeliph
XBOX has more going for it than Halo...like Ninja Gaiden, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and many others. Halo is popular, but it's not the only thing XBOX has going on, it is the most powerful system on the market.

are you seriously going to try to argue that xbox has better games than the PS2 oh and let's not forget PSX since it is can plays those too. Power on a system really doesn't mean that much the important thing is the games you put out for it and while those 3 games you just mentioned were great games they are too few and far between. That is why Playstation is kicking xbox and gamecubes asses in sales they are bombarding the market with many more quality games then the other systems.

oh and Kegel im a playstation fanboy by heart but I also pay attention to the market. Nintendo is not going to go the way of Sega and just disappear I mean look at some of the things they have done in order to survive sales totally skyrocketed when they lowered the price on their system to the point where for a while all their units sold out and they were outselling both the xbox and PS2 units combined.

folder icon   06-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Post #23
Kegel

Quote:
oh and Kegel im a playstation fanboy by heart but I also pay attention to the market. Nintendo is not going to go the way of Sega and just disappear I mean look at some of the things they have done in order to survive sales totally skyrocketed when they lowered the price on their system to the point where for a while all their units sold out and they were outselling both the xbox and PS2 units combined.

I was just kidding, but if you could cite some kinda link for that data that'd be cool.

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Post #24
The Angry Frenchman

Night Elf Ranger

Didn't Nintendo buy out Sega?

folder icon   06-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Post #25
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegel
I was just kidding, but if you could cite some kinda link for that data that'd be cool.
That's a stat I've never heard of... I'd be interested in a link too. I know Xbox made big headway in selling systems when they went down to the $150 price mark... maybe you're confusing the two?

SEGA is still around and were not bought out by anyone. They no longer make consoles though, they just do games. Something Nintendo should be doing too IMO.

folder icon   06-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Post #26
The Angry Frenchman

Night Elf Ranger

Quote:
SEGA is still around and were not bought out by anyone. They no longer make consoles though, they just do games. Something Nintendo should be doing too IMO.

Okay, I was wondering cause I thought I remember seeing traditionaly Sega titles on GameCube. That's what made me think that Nintendo had bought them.

folder icon   06-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Post #27
TheMadMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod

Well, it was Warcraft, then Diablo, then Starcraft, then a bunch of sequels. So Blizzard's latest original idea was starcraft. ... Nevermind.

Nintendo isn't going to suffer the same fate as Sega. No, its actually a little more humiliating for us die hard nintendo fans. We're going to be stuck with dinky game boys. Stupid hand held video games, that look decent enough (currently reminiscent of SNES) but on screen the size of your palm. Unless you plan on going blind at an early age trying to count the number of dust-mite-sized hearts then I suggest giving up on Nintendo. The gamecube bombed. If this is the last one to come out, it will too.

Whoever said that people buy two consoles is blatantly wrong. I own SNES, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo 64. I never bothered with any of this "generation" of consoles, and I probably won't buy the next.

folder icon   06-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Post #28
K.J.

Kodo Beast

Quote:
That's a stat I've never heard of... I'd be interested in a link too. I know Xbox made big headway in selling systems when they went down to the $150 price mark... maybe you're confusing the two?

I'll try to find the article it was on ign.com and gameinformer.com somewhere i'll have to search the sites lata on and find them.

and Madmac you are probably one of the few gamers that doesn't have a new generation console.

folder icon   06-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Post #29
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

I only used to have one generation of console at a time (NES, then Genisis, then N64, then Dreamcast) but since I've gotten done with college and am making big $$$, I can afford two or three... though I don't have the cabinet space for three nor interest in a PS3 at all.

folder icon   06-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Post #30
Kegel

I'm with you Kris as far as PS3 goes. The only thing PS3 has going for it in my opinion is that some games that come out for Xbox and PS2 are released for the PS2 first, such as Grand Theft Auto games, so this would probably carry over to the PS3. Otherwise there's plenty of games for me that come out for both systems.

I've owned basically all of the popular consoles (besides anything sony), like NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Gamecube and Xbox, and an Atari I forget the number of, but I never really collected more than 6 or 7 games for any of them. So for me at least, variety of games is not as important, as long as I can get 4 or 5 good titles and a bunch to rent from blockbuster, the console is fine for me.

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Post #31
IKickPuppies

Assassin

Same here. We are the Nintendo generation, and now we all have jobs, letting us buy more than one system without depending on our parents. I own all 3 of the systems out now. The only reason I have a GC is because my mom got it for me when it first came out. She opted for the GC based purely on price. The Revolution will be the same. Peoples' parents might buy it for them because it's cheap, but the bulk of the twenty-somethings, who make up the core audience, will most likely stay away. My friends aren't that into gaming. I doubt any of them have ever posted on a forum. None the less, many of them have either a PS2 or an X-box. I have met 1 other person who owns a GC. In five years Nintendo will be nothing but a held-held manufacturer/Zelda games developer.

Edit: Collections don't grow like they used to. Nowadays, you buy a game, beat it, and then get store credit towards your new game. You only keep it if it was really amazing.

Edit #2: I'm actually looking forward to the PS3. The "same here" above was meant as an agreement to Kris's "used to have only 1 console" comment.

Last edited by IKickPuppies on 06-16-2005 at 08:03 PM.
folder icon   06-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Post #32
Naes Reborn

Catapult

Sengal on Frostwolf

Quote:
If I was a moderator I would continually delete this "naes177" in all of Naes' posts.

You were around in 2002-2003, correct? If so, you would know why I sign my posts with naes177. Tradition man, tradition.

naes177

folder icon   06-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Post #33
Kegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naes Reborn
You were around in 2002-2003, correct? If so, you would know why I sign my posts with naes177. Tradition man, tradition.

naes177

But wait, Avathar's registration date is in ... oh it's not even worth it anymore.

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-17-2005, 05:32 AM
Post #34
Forzan

Abomination

For those discussing the download features:
Go here

Quote:
Revolution will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

I'm sold. I would love to have a cheap, small console that will have 3-4 guaranteed hits like Zelda, along with the ability to download SNES games and put them on the harddrive. I can't wait to find out how to make pirated roms work on it- but I'll bet you'll be able to get old N64 games for $5 a download. Old Final Fantasy games, The Legend of Zelda, $1.99.

Downloadable games are where the future is at. I've read articles on how a future Playstation will be nothing but downloaded games, with content constantly updating (like Guild Wars).

It looks like there's a multiplayer internet service for it too. I'm glad Nintendo finally caught up- the new Smash Bros. will probably waste hours of my life with online play.

---------------

I don't see a problem with signing posts. I'm hopping on this bandwagon while the trend is still fresh.

naes177

Last edited by Forzan on 06-17-2005 at 06:07 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Post #35
the_time_machine

Overlord

im gettin a ps3 all the way, im a big final fantasy fan, and the majority of the games i like only came out on the ps2,

the gamecube was a joke, there was like maybe 1 or 2 decent games worth gettin, the rest was just all mario, rainbows, candy and farts. And the controller pissed the hell outta me,

the xbox i just have no real interest in, i found halo overated and quite boring, i just dont find any fps really fun anyway. and the controller was so big u could break ur dogs back if u dropped it, or atleast knock someone out

i know these reasons why i should get the ps3 over the generation or the 360, but id only ever buy 1 console, and my money is on ps3, based on the games, i dont care about specs and stuff

Return to Top  Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: