ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > World Of WarCraft Discussion > DK Damage numbers w CATA
Search this Thread:

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

DK Damage numbers w CATA  
folder icon   11-12-2010, 08:05 AM
DK Damage numbers w CATA Post #1
Roof Shingles

Gargoyle

Hi All,

I'm not playing WoW right now, but the recent changes to the Death Knight piqued my interest again. If or before I start playing, I would like to optimize my rotation and build (for bosses), but to do that I'll need to know the damage that the spells/abilities do. And the whole "A strike that deals 150% damage + blah blah blah" doesn't do it for me, I'm never sure what they mean.

So my question to you folks... could you please let me know the average damage per hit for the following abilities and maybe can you please link your character so that I can compare your build/weapons with other peeps who post:

Icy Touch
Plague Strike
Frost Strike
Obliterate
Howling Blast
Blood Strike
Scrouge Strike
Festering Strike

A few other questions about the class:
1) Can you put Unbholy Frenzy on your pet?
2) I think Festering Strike costs 1 frost or 1 blood rune, is that right (emphasis here is on the "or")?
3) If Runic Empowerment chooses death rune (that is really a blood rune) to activate, will it activate it as a death or blood rune.
4) Also concerning Runic Empowerment, does it only activate runes that are completely depleted (i.e. like if two frost runes are being refreshed, will it choose the one that is waiting for the other one to finish) or could it activate a rune that only has like 1 second to be activated?

Thanks,

Last edited by Roof Shingles on 11-12-2010 at 08:16 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Post #2
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

Hey Roofie,

I don't have a damage tracking mod, so I can't give you my damage numbers, but I can answer some of your questions at least.

1) Yes you can.

2) It's 1 Blood AND 1 Frost.

3) Not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure it will activate as Blood. It might have a safeguard to prevent it from activating Death Runes to avoid wasting them though. Again, not 100%, just what I think.

4) It says "fully depleted", so I assume it means one of the ones waiting in the wings. Again, not 100% on this.

I haven't played my DK a ton since the patch, so that coupled with my Unholy spec changing how Runic Empowerment works means I don't know a huge amount about that ability. Anyway, I hope that was at least a little helpful.

Here's my Armory profile if it helps you at all.

folder icon   11-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Post #3
Roof Shingles

Gargoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Buster
Hey Roofie,

I don't have a damage tracking mod, so I can't give you my damage numbers, but I can answer some of your questions at least.

1) Yes you can.

2) It's 1 Blood AND 1 Frost.

3) Not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure it will activate as Blood. It might have a safeguard to prevent it from activating Death Runes to avoid wasting them though. Again, not 100%, just what I think.

4) It says "fully depleted", so I assume it means one of the ones waiting in the wings. Again, not 100% on this.

I haven't played my DK a ton since the patch, so that coupled with my Unholy spec changing how Runic Empowerment works means I don't know a huge amount about that ability. Anyway, I hope that was at least a little helpful.

Here's my Armory profile if it helps you at all.

Thanks PB.

I'm thinking of a rotation that focuses on runic power generation (to get more Frost Strikes/Death Coils and more Runic Empowerment procs), so that means avoiding two rune abilities because two rune abilities make 7.5 runic power per rune, while single rune abilities make 10. I'm speaking untalented, but talented an OB generates 25, while an IT and PS generate 30, so its still better to go with single rune abilities. Also if you compare using 2 death runes for IT (40 runic power) vs one OB (25 runic power), the ITs still get more runic power. I know what you're thinking, one OB does way more damage than two ITs, but I crunched the numbers, and the extra damage I do with the additional FSs is superior to an OB rotation over the long haul.

I played about a year ago, and then I was Frost Specced and didn't use Obliterate. I spammed IT, PS, and BS, and whenever it was up, I would use FS. I did the math and it was a superior rotation than anything using Obliterate, ya it was, trust me. And I was first or second in the DPS charts with my guild using this rotation all the time, and I had shit gear compared to the rest in my guild (including other DKs).

The trick was that I was able to use Frost Strike alot more than if I was using Obliterate (this was also the time when the Icy Touch glyph generated 10 more runic power which helped of course, but now I can get that in a talent, so…). And in my head, any ability that uses runic power is a free ability, the resources for a DK are the runes, runic power attacks are a bonus that don’t use any runes, you just can’t use them too often, But I made the time between each use less .

Anyway, I'm only telling you this because Frost is now built so that if you don't use the Obliterate talents (i.e. Annihilation), then you're picking shit like Lichborne, Icy Winter and other stuff that does not increase DPS. So I doubt I can make a good build in Frost without using OB in my rotation, but who knows… enter Runic Empowerment…

Runic Empowerment... and now it gets interesting... If I focus on using Frost Strike as much as I can, then that means I'll be getting free runes (via Runic Empowerment) 45% of the time, and more often than some other DK who doesn't use FS as much (or any runic power attack). And with each free rune I get via RE, I'm able to generate more runic power via the rune ability I use (IT, PS, BS), which means generating runic power more quickly, which means more RE procs. Basically RE gives free rune abilities, which give runic power, which give FSs, which give RE procs, which gives even more rune abilities, which gives even more... blah blah... you get it… its cyclical with each step improving the next. So ya, I think this Runic Empowerment is huge, but I gotta run the numbers. Send me damage numbers please!

folder icon   11-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Post #4
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

I re-DLed Skada and fooled around with my DK to figure my DPS. I can't figure a way to get it to include my pet, but given his paperdoll white dps of 700ish plus abilities I figure I can ballpark him around 1k. With that inclusion, my dps on a target dummy is about 5.5k without cooldowns, 6.5k with cooldowns.

Hope that information helps! It seems you're going for a Frost build, so it might not be helpful to you as I'm Unholy, but I'm just trying to supply you whatever information I can.

folder icon   11-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Post #5
Roof Shingles

Gargoyle

Um, I was shooting for a Frost build only because it worked so well for me the last time I played, but I don't have to. I love Unholy and I'll probably go there too. The rotation is much simpler in Unholy too. I'm thinking that tree might get nerfed though, seems so much better than Frost at the moment

folder icon   11-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Post #6
Pellanor

Administrator

My roommie seems to have frost DPS figured out pretty well. He's been putting out some serious damage. Here's a combat log from a night we were working on LK a few weeks back.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/...20qd/details/3/

One thing he was saying was that he spent a lot of time without anything to do, runes on cooldown, etc... Apparently gemming for Haste helped him a bunch in that area, as he's kicking out solid numbers now.

Hope this helps

SC2 ID: Pellanor - 760
LoL Summoner Name: Pellanor
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
Return to Top  

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: