ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > General Discussion > Favorite Movies
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Favorite Movies  Pages (2): [1] 2 »
folder icon   06-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Favorite Movies Post #1
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

I have to do some research for a course I'm taking. What are some of your guys' favorite movies? Thanks much.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Post #2
Jezta

The Black Sphynx

Hmmm, tie between X-men 2, and LoTR: The Two Towers

folder icon   06-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Post #3
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

Xmen 2 was awsome. I loved it. LOTR was good too, great set design, but a little long for me.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Post #4
Kegel

I've always liked the Monty Python movies.

-Monty Python: Quest for the Holy Grail

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Post #5
XanTerD

Catapult

Shawshank Redemption or The Sixth Sense would probably top my list.

"Life moves on, whether we act as cowards or heroes. Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such."
- Henry Miller
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Post #6
Carmius

Freelance Bum

oooh, don't get me started. I'll start posting summaries of each one and why i like it

Anyhoo, here it is (used to be in my sig)

Top 10:

1. L.A. Confidential (Hanson)
2. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Jackson)
3. The Usual Suspects (Singer)
4. Memento (Nolan)
5. Following (Nolan)
6. Saving Private Ryan (Spielburg)
7. Goodfellas (Scorcesse)
8. Braveheart (Gibson)
9. This Is Spinal Tap (Reiner)
10. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (Leone)

Top 11-25:

11. M*A*S*H (Altman)
12. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Forman)
13. Ran (Kurosawa)
14. Life is Beautiful (Begnini)
15. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Gilliam, Jones)
16. It's a Wonderful Life (Capra)
17. Forrest Gump (Zimeckis)
18. American History X (Kaye)
19. On the Waterfront (Kazan)
20. Double Indemnity (Wilder)
21. Apocalypse Now (Coppola)
22. the Princess Bride (Reiner)
23. The Producers (Brooks)
24. Fight Club (Fincher)
25. Blade Runner (Scott)

I love movies.

Last edited by Carmius on 06-09-2003 at 08:36 PM.
folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Post #7
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

You put fight club and american history x below #10?? Oh my! they are #1!

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Post #8
Carmius

Freelance Bum

How many of my top ten have you seen?

American History X and Fight Club were both great movies (the former i found much better than the latter) but none of them can beat The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (#10).

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Post #9
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

I've only seen momento but American History X has to be my favorite movie of all time so it beats it. What about 80's movies tho? Come one, Better off Dead, Say anything...

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Post #10
Carmius

Freelance Bum

The Princess Bride is on there, as is Spinal Tap and Ran. And i just realized i forgot Blade Runner *smacks forehead*. editing it in now. thanks for the reminder.

seems a shame to bump chinatown to 25th.. oh well

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Post #11
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

have you ever seen rain man?

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Post #12
Carmius

Freelance Bum

Yah, but it was on T.V. Quite a good movie, though not great great. Dustin Hoffman was incredible.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Post #13
Darkwolf

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmius
How many of my top ten have you seen?

American History X and Fight Club were both great movies (the former i found much better than the latter) but none of them can beat The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (#10).

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly has probably THE most definitive song from a movie genre. That duel song is just so amazingly cool, and its got Clint Eastwood.

That said, my favorite movie is probably The Matrix right now. Damn, I love the Matrix. Not just for the fighting, too, I love it cuz its all philosophical and its got all the underlying social messages and stuff. Other great movies are The Usual Suspects, Saving Private Ryan, Fight Club, and mayyyybe Indiana Jones.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Post #14
Carmius

Freelance Bum

aaaayaayaaaaaaaa... wooww woooww wow....

Ennio Morricone kicks ass.

The Matrix was pretty sweet, but i think my brother watching it over, and over, and over, and over, and over again ruined it for me a bit. That's not the best thing to rate a movie on, but it's still the same in the end.

And i forgot Double Indemnity on my list too... oi!

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Post #15
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

any one see 25th hour? Great great great great great. Spike Lee did an awsome job on that one.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Post #16
Jezta

The Black Sphynx

Whos seen 13 Ghosts? That was nice. And I wanted to see 25th Hour...but....bah.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Post #17
Carmius

Freelance Bum

Yes it was quite good. Edward Norton turned in another beautiful performance. One thing i didn't like about the movie though was all these sub-plots that didn't seem to come together, or not even mean anything/add anything to the story. Other than that it was great. I especially loved Norton's "Fuck You" speech.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Post #18
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

I love Edward Norton. Period. I just saw Italian Job and I really liked it but I heard that he didn't want to do that movie and was forced into which i think is horribel and if he didn't want to do, then he shouldn't have. I was alittle disapointed in him in that one. He was the mean guy, nto the adorable, nice guy.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Post #19
Eilistraee

Raider

The Lion King and The Matrix and various others I can't think of right now. WAHA!! The Lion King owns you!! ^.^

hey, disgusting blob of primordial goop that allegedly hosted a random assortment of proto-cellular materials that, with an electrical charge from a bolt of lightning, would miraculously evolve into an immensely complicated being such as a human
folder icon   06-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Post #20
Dark Jester

Overlord

Teenage mutant Nijnja turtles.

Leonardo- You get the ugly one!
Michaelangelo- Which one's the ugly one?!?!?!

folder icon   06-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Post #21
Carmius

Freelance Bum

Quote:
Originally posted by Marzipan17
I heard that he didn't want to do that movie and was forced into which i think is horribel

Yah, some sort of contract obligations, so he didn't put much into the performance. Still wanna see the movie though.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Post #22
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

Anyone see requiem for a dream or traffic? I love those good ole' drug movies. Or Moulin Rouge and Down with Love. Ewan McGreggor is absolutly splendid if you ask me.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Post #23
Carmius

Freelance Bum

I didn't really like traffic. When i first watched it it was on a subject that really bothered me (doesn't as much anymore). But it wasn't just that. Soderburgh's camera use i found annoying, like a bad documentary. It really irked me.

I've seen only the first half of requiem for a dream. I had to stop it and i still haven't gotten back to watching it. What i saw was great though.

Moulin Rouge! was great. The cinematography was insane in it, and some of the music was sweet. Musicals are usually fun, but I don't really go for chick flicks.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Post #24
Always Right

Anime Freak!

Absolute favorite movie of all time? Not an easy thing to decide. But, it's best to stick to the classics in these types of situations, so I gotta go with Akira. I wouldn't be downloading gigs upon gigs of pirate fansubed anime right now(and I do mean right now) if it wasn't for Akira.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Post #25
Carmius

Freelance Bum

Akira was pretty sweet. The animation was pretty nifty. It got me started on anime. Since watching it i've seen.... Spirited Away (hey, they're hard to find around here!). Spirited Away was awesome, liked it more than Akira.

Mononoke Hime SHOULD be in the library by now *grumbles*

folder icon   06-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Post #26
Always Right

Anime Freak!

Unfortunetly I havn't seen Spirited Away yet. Mononoke Hime was pretty bitchin', I never thought it was that great. Akira and Ghost in the Shell are more bitchin'er. People have once wished death upon me for saying that

folder icon   06-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Post #27
Carmius

Freelance Bum

Spirited Away was kickass!

There's one other one that looks worth watching. Grave of the Fireflies. It'll probably take a lot to find a copy of it, but looks quite good.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Post #28
Always Right

Anime Freak!

Yeah, I'll probably have to dig through the backshelves of BlockBuster to find Grave of the Fireflies. Probably won't be there though. I'll have to go to Best Buy and buy it, which I most likely won't do I did a quick iMesh search for it, found it, but it was like 600 megs; don't think I want to download all that.

But yeah, I'll rent Spirited Away soon probably. Me and my brother split the Robotech Macross Saga box set just yesturday and it'll probably take me all week to get through it Then there's other stuff. Anyway, I'll get around to it eventualy. I should probably rent Mononoke Hime again, too. Havn't seen that in a while.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 11:16 PM
Post #29
Carmius

Freelance Bum

Hmm... never thought of looking online for Grave of the Fireflies. I had to download Akira because i couldn't find it, maybe once summer's here i'll get on it.

folder icon   06-10-2003, 02:43 AM
Post #30
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkwolf

That said, my favorite movie is probably The Matrix right now. Damn, I love the Matrix. Not just for the fighting, too, I love it cuz its all philosophical and its got all the underlying social messages and stuff. Other great movies are The Usual Suspects, Saving Private Ryan, Fight Club, and mayyyybe Indiana Jones.

Word, I like a lot of movies (and I mean a lot), But Matrix is my favorite, at least for the time being.

4000 posts means i gotta do 4000 chicks... yes, thats the advantage of a high post count! - dimitri

Well i banned suckmyballs today, although he has an enticing name i just had to ban him. - Ultrapunk

Your punctuation, especially the quadruple comma,,,, fascinates me. - TheMadMac
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-10-2003, 05:01 AM
Post #31
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

Top 10 random Order

Requiem for a dream
Fightclub
Breave heart
Pulp fiction
Se7en
Ace Ventura - pet detevtive
Matrix 1 & 2
Lotr 1&2
Starwars 1,2,4,5 & 6
saving privbate Ryan

folder icon   06-10-2003, 05:31 AM
Post #32
Quantia9000

Kodo Beast

Well if we're counting anime, i'd have to go with The End Of Evangelion. Otherwise, i'll say Adaptation. with the Matrix Reloaded as a close second.

folder icon   06-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Post #33
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

"Top 10 random Order

Requiem for a dream
Fightclub
Breave heart
Pulp fiction
Se7en
Ace Ventura - pet detevtive
Matrix 1 & 2
Lotr 1&2
Starwars 1,2,4,5 & 6
saving privbate Ryan"

Absa-fecking-lutly! Minus ace ventura, the rest, ey! great!

folder icon   06-10-2003, 06:58 AM
Post #34
VeeGee

Grrrr!

Here are my top 10 in no particular order:

Reseivor Dogs
The Princess Bride
Clockwork Orange
Starship Troopers
Starwars: The Empire Strikes Back
100 Girls
Requiem for a Dream (although I've seen it once)
Batman Returns
The Neverending Story
and Snake Eyes for its beautiful long takes and Nicholas Cage's fine acting.

What kind of research are you doing?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Post #35
Marzipan17

Spirit Wolf

I am in this class and I have to find the most common movie among the poeple that I know and since the poeple that I know have really bad taste in movies, so I decided to ask new people that I didn't know. The Neverending story was m fav movie when I was a kid. I loved it!

Return to Top  Pages (2): [1] 2 »

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: