ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > RPG Forum > Avatar Wars Practice Arena 2
Search this Thread:

newthread reply RPG Forum
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

folder icon   10-15-2002, 10:15 AM
Avatar Wars Practice Arena 2 Post #1
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

Now I havent talked this over with Quim (which I should) But Ill propose some reworkings to the system

Another complaint was the reward and how people made a lot of money at the practice arena. Now I have no problem since the game does not give experience only money. Shouldnt the characters who play mroe often be given an advantage? Every one can compete in the practice arena, I mean if it is updated once a day, it takes about 10 seconds to post a move, and most of us are on here anyways. The reward could be lessened or you can have to pay for items. The practice matches arent that different than the official matches, as the peple who win more get more money (official matches you earn LOTS more money!)

If Quim oks this I will once again be doing "unofficial" characters, unoficial refing, and other goodness. People who are qualified as unooficial refs are
Me, BFL, and Foxx. Pell seems to be learning the rules quickly and I remember The Unhallowed asking to be a ref.

Quimquay: PM or email me - XxHANZO@hotmail.com

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 10:24 AM
Post #2
the 1 eyed fool

Assassin

ok its Pracetice there should be no reward but if u use items here they shouldnt disapear from ur inventory but u can only use how many u have of that item

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Post #3
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

I don't think there should be any reward for the Practice Arena, other than becoming a more experienced combatant. If you give experience/rewards, then it gives advantages to those who have more time to play. Think about most any professional sport... all teams play the same number of games, all teams have the same chance to win. I think this is how Avatar Wars should be as well. That said, I'm not a fan of the old bank or the new stock market either, though I did invest some myself. I think it needs to be about the fighting, not all this extra crap.

Fun Infused Games | My Blog | Smooth Operator | Evilscale | Wellplayed.net
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Post #4
dimitri583

Faster! More Intense!
ForumsX Administrator

the extra crap adds to it IMO. fighting is like 10 seconds a day, people might wanna do more, ya know? and im up for participating in the practice arena, but yeah, make the reward money less. the practice arena/stock market shouldnt compete with the main form of income... betting on the real matches.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Post #5
Grudgebearer

Witch Doctor

There should be a lot of restrictions on what can be won in practice matches. I think it should be nothing at all, really. I also think the stock market thing is ridiculous.

I'm all for having practice matches, but only for fighting experience.

folder icon   10-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Post #6
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Grudgebearer
There should be a lot of restrictions on what can be won in practice matches. I think it should be nothing at all, really. I also think the stock market thing is ridiculous.

I'm all for having practice matches, but only for fighting experience.

Agreed.

Fun Infused Games | My Blog | Smooth Operator | Evilscale | Wellplayed.net
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 04:59 PM
Post #7
Big-Floppy-Llama

$5 per match won and $10 max made each week maybe? So for 10 weeks of fighting you would get the equivelent of an official win. And I say that items are not allowed. It got too tense last time when people never specified whether items were allowed or not.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Post #8
Pellanor

Administrator

maybe make it so that if you win an a practice, you gain 5, and if you loose, you loose 5 (down to 0). this way, if you practice a lot, and your good, you'll make money, but there's always a chance to loose.

or something...
if you just wanna practice without the risk, then go over MSN or something. my spreadsheet thing, while not official (yet...) works well enough for practice, if you can't get a copy of the official program.

course, that's just my 2 cents.

SC2 ID: Pellanor - 760
LoL Summoner Name: Pellanor
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Post #9
Grudgebearer

Witch Doctor

If there is any money to be won*, Llama's money per week cap idea seems like the best idea to me. One problem with that system is who is going to keep up with all that?
It just adds another level of complexity, and when you're dealing with this many people all in the same competition, simplicity seems like the best way to go to me.
Pellanor's idea could be a good way of keeping people from going overboard because of the risk, but conversely, it could just end up making the rich richer and the poor poorer. And once again, it adds another level of stuff to keep up with.

*I'm still against money being won at all from practice matches.

Last edited by Grudgebearer on 10-15-2002 at 08:25 PM.
folder icon   10-15-2002, 11:29 PM
Post #10
Big-Floppy-Llama

Well, we could do one match at a time and keep an excel spreadsheet of the fighters that week.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Post #11
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

I only do 1 match at a time, and 1 update per night. So that would give us a minimum of 5-6 days per match. As far as I know no one really made all that much money in the practice arena, and no matter what we do, practice rewards or no practice rewards, the rich will get richer and the poor poorer, as the rich always have beter characters. I always posted the winners on the first page so Quim could up date monies won.

A few people made a lil bit of money with the MSN or AIM matches, as those can be done very quickly. A new proposition,
1 arena match per week, and IM matches get no reward. Items are free and a $20 reward for the winner. With no items allowed it just comes to who has more money to spend on abilities.

Perhaps this " Mini Tournament" Where we get an even number of people to fight, then the overall winner gets some cash? (It would be single elimination instead of whatever Quim does =P)
Id like this to be as acceptable to as many people as possable. The practice arena is a place where you can have a little more fun outside of the official matches.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Post #12
Pellanor

Administrator

I had a huge idea last night. what if we had a simulator arena? basically whoever's fighting decides on a amount of "virtual money" in multiples of 50v$, to use. this allows you to test your character at higher levels, find out what you eant to buy when you get real money, and generally find out how much ass a character with 1000v$ can kick.

but yea, from what I understood of hanzo's idea, it seems pretty good. it would take 5 weeks to equal one match, so there wouldn't be too much money to make.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Post #13
dimitri583

Faster! More Intense!
ForumsX Administrator

that poll did nothin! me and gunny wanna fight, lets decide on somethin here! i say a random cheap item in case of victory, but youll only get it once ever 2 victories, so u dont just sit here hogging the practice arena...

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-22-2002, 06:12 AM
Post #14
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

Meh I will be doing everything from this account now, as logging out and logging into a new account is now a pain in my ass. You could do a practice match right now with no reward... (Ill start working on the numbers)

folder icon   10-24-2002, 04:27 AM
Post #15
the_time_machine

Overlord

i think there should be only one match at a time, last time it got fully out of hand and ruined it, there were like 3 different practice arenas with like couple matches goin at once with unoffical characters and stuff it just got out of hand.

i think only one match at a time, and the prize could be $10, but maybe hanzo could organise a list so everyone gets a pracice match and a shot at $10

folder icon   10-24-2002, 06:08 AM
Post #16
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

Also i thought of this the other day. We need an alternative source of money other than the Official matches. Think this you start with $50 you buy 2 vials and 2 SVs that leaves you with $10. You will surely use 2 vials and 2 svs in one match. Now if you loose you only have $10 going into your next match, while the winner has $100 going into his next match. So your complaints of the rich getting richer are all moot as thats how the system works anyways. we could add stipulations that you can only earn $50 a week (half the winnings of an official match)

folder icon   10-24-2002, 09:58 AM
Post #17
Pellanor

Administrator

yea, seeing as you can finish an official match in what, 4 days (see my match) it still won't be anywhere near as much.

edit time: I don't care about $ yet. I wanna fight somebody! come on. bring it!

Last edited by Pellanor on 10-24-2002 at 12:24 PM.
Return to Top  

newthread reply RPG Forum
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: