ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Straight Arcane
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Straight Arcane  
folder icon   01-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Straight Arcane Post #1
Cloud

Arch Druid

Staight teching, no barracks, no nothin like htat, straigt to arcane sanctum. Works great if you have a good ally, make mk first, then archmage. let ally use hte heros, fully upgrade preist and sorcs, start pumpen em out, while staying in no upkeep. i gotta go, playin war3. ill talk more about the strat later.

Beautiful
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Post #2
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

uhhh. sure. whatever you say.
is that kind of like skipping all of tier 1 to mass dryads?

folder icon   01-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Post #3
Zaknafien

Overlord

Sort of. Just much more effective.

Better to take it slower and add a footy screen though. otherwise you tend to die when they suprise you.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Post #4
Strifestrike

Warlock

Yeah ive done that 100 times.

But zak is right in a 1v1 your better off getting footies and doing a slower tech.

I read that on a Magic card once, heh.
folder icon   01-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Post #5
Cloud

Arch Druid

Oh yah, one on one, but if you have a good ally, you dont have to worry tooo much. Get the mk out, and soon after have an archmage. And like i said, share control of that MK, get him leveld. And by level 6, you got just at much of a meat shield with that one MK, as you do with 12 footies. And while they try and try and try to focus on that MK, they are slowed, polymorphed, dispeled, stormbolted, thunderclapped and bashed. Plus you got inner fire goin on, and healin, also got whatever your allys doin.

Beautiful
folder icon   01-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Post #6
Zaknafien

Overlord

Theres no shield like footies with a pally though. And a pally is a great team hero.

Besides, if you go 50/50 spells and shield your ally can get some of his spellers himself. Which is always good.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Post #7
Strifestrike

Warlock

I disagree, if you have an ally who will give u a good meat sheild ure much better off going pure spells. Human spell casters are the best in the game without a doubt. Especially with AM.

folder icon   01-26-2003, 12:33 PM
Post #8
Zaknafien

Overlord

Divirsity is always a good thing though. For example, when you have 12 sorcs with slow turned off and lev 3 AM aura you can easily get 2 polies out of each. Then say your allies orc, they contribute healing ward to take care of healing and you just get about 3 priests for dispel magic. Meanwhile, inner fire and lust make your armies much more powerful.

Besides, all mages can be made nearly useless by a human opponent who just gets about 5-6 preists. If they are mass dispeling with preists or WoN youre better off having a larger army and less sorcs anyway, cause sorcs slowing will never run out of mana with an AM nearby and polying will blow to much mana when its dispelled in a second.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   01-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Post #9
Menofhonor

Tauren

LMAO zak wern't you just talking about mass archers now your talking about diversity?

I will address both problems with mass casters. First of all they are very powerful. I like to get an AM first with blizzard and brilliance. I will use the sorcs mainly for slow and then just pound them with the sorces surprisingly strong attack while I blizzard them non stop and clap them. All the time my army is getting healed. As for the priests dispelling the slow it just doesn't work well. Slow is reapplied as soon as its dispelled and I have never seen mass sorcs run out of mana just while slowing with brilliance aura. If you have an ally (preferably orcs) to provide alot of meat you will be golden. In this situation always consider yourself to be one army and move together. Wards are perfect for this so you can moniter your enemies movements. This combo is very hard to stop.

As for how to get them I have a good strat for this that you guys should use. First of all make the AM first and hero rush the enemy by blizzarding peons. This will almost always slow a rush down somewhat, even do it twice if you need to. At the same time at your base build a lumber mill quickly right next to your townhall. With the lumbermill the alter and some farms you will be able to enclose a tower or 2 which means that they have to kill another building before they can reach the tower unless they have serious range attack early. This combined with your heros help(usually running around in circles staying alive) you will be able to fend off the early rush fairly easily. Sure there are good players that can slow you down but it doesn't happen often. Plus if your good you can get those caster out very fast. Many times if I feel like I have enough casters I will add some knights or gryphons to my army. But usually I will just go for 3 heros.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Post #10
Strifestrike

Warlock

Hehe men like thats not what everyone does a;ready

folder icon   01-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Post #11
Zaknafien

Overlord

Mass archers works for NE, humans need spells

Spells damage is weak though, so meeting a competant dispeller will kill you. And divirsity is always good. Id rather have orc+human for example than 2 humans.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   01-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Post #12
Menofhonor

Tauren

I was just messing with you zak. But I did calculate sorcs damage and they actually do good damage compared to riflemen if you take food into consideration. Priests damage does suck though. But if you can add blizzard and thunderclaps you should be able to do damage fast enough. But yea its good to have someone from a different race I agree, to be you meat.

Strife I was just making sure that everyone builds towers cause no one mentions that.

Cloud I didn't read you post very well in the beginning. If you are fast teching to casters you need to pump a bunch out before you upgrade them otherwise you are just hanging your ally out to dry.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Post #13
Strifestrike

Warlock

Ahhh patronizing the true noobs, you really are to kind.

(I may not be good, but even I can say anyone stupid enough to think they could handle a rush with a hero and some militia is an idiot.)

Which leads to a good point, does anyone think militia suck compared to burrows or moon wells? Or even spirit towers.

folder icon   01-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Post #14
Zaknafien

Overlord

No. Militia are great And human towers upgraded have massive HP.

I know, meno

Its just diffearnt stuff works with differant races. And team games are a completely differant aspect of war3

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   01-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Post #15
Menofhonor

Tauren

Well militia do kind of suck I guess but at least it allows them to live longer and surround heros. The biggest problem with milia I guess is that while they are effective very early they quickly become useless in base defense. NE probably have it the best as moonwells can really be used at anytime not only when being attacked. Orcs are all right in their burrows if you make them in hard to reach places behind buildings. As for early rushes UD have it the worst. Zigs are so expensive to upgrade that a human you could probably put up a couple farms and a tower for the same price so its a wash. The UDs town hall tower is supposed to be their natural defense I guess but even that you need to be at tier 2 which is one of the reasons I tech fairly fast with ud, along with crack ghouls.

Well strife I have seen many people tech without towers thinking they will save money but the advise I gave was more than that. I was trying to tell people the importance of protecting your towers by surrounding them with buildings. This actually goes for all towers. With orc I always build my buildings in a way to sort of build a wall around my base with openings at the ends. This way I can put my towers and burrows behind them allowing them to live longer in battles allowing them to do more damage.

folder icon   01-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Post #16
Zaknafien

Overlord

Zigs are just towers. Not really base defense like militia and burrows.

Militia are good early on, which is the only time i need them. I get towers with super HP later if i need defense.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   01-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Post #17
Menofhonor

Tauren

Thats kind of what I was saying is that their only real natural base defense is their tier 2 townhall.

folder icon   01-28-2003, 02:17 AM
Post #18
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

The UD have blight, which gives them homefield advantage I guess. They also get ghouls very quickly for lumber, so they're put at an advantage there. Once the hall upgrades, it's an excellent defensive structure.

As for mass casters, they're good if they're protected, but dryads make them silly.

folder icon   01-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Post #19
Cloud

Arch Druid

Not necisarliy, if you go in with a scroll of protection or two, the dryads waste all thier mana on dispelling it, then, the actuall damage done by the sorcs and priests does ok, but like i said, you have to have a decent ally, i find that a NE ally with lotsa upgraded archers and hunts does best. And you also have to think about inner fire, and healing. Theres also a decently leveld MK, and an archmage thats tearin it up with blizzard.

Beautiful
folder icon   01-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Post #20
Zaknafien

Overlord

Scroll is sorta annoying, but not that fantastic. They just turn dispel off until you buff your guys.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   01-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Post #21
Cloud

Arch Druid

True, but how many people actaully do that?

Beautiful
folder icon   01-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Post #22
Menofhonor

Tauren

Even if you do turn off dispell at first you can still use debuffs to hurt the enemy then they will start dispelling the scroll as well. Hey whats the worst that could happen when you get the scroll you get bonus armor?

folder icon   01-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Post #23
Zaknafien

Overlord

+12% HP i think. Not that big a deal.

How mant people actually do that? Me for one if I was using dryads, which I dont He asked me about AM shell for banshees. If I say something I mean I use it Just like lightning shell from shamen may really screw up an enemy ghoul force or something, but I dont have the micro and just dont use it, so I dont point it out

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: