ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > How did illidan know about the naga?
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

How did illidan know about the naga?  Pages (2): [1] 2 »
folder icon   09-16-2004, 01:43 PM
How did illidan know about the naga? Post #1
Thrall3

Peon

Can some one tell me how Illidan and probably only Illidan knew of the Naga's existence? Because no one else knew they existed. They were buried deep below the water for thousands of years. There civilization was secret for all that time and suddenly Illidan knows they exist and calls them forth? Some explain that.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   09-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Post #2
Jezta

The Black Sphynx

To my knowledge we never really find out how Illidan knew about the Naga, but I have a theory or two.

Illidan sided with Queen Azshara in the final battle of the War of the Ancients. Queen Azshara still rules the Naga because the Naga are the High-borne of the night Elves who didn't escape the collapse of the Well of Eternity. When the Naga had grown in strength Azshara sent Lady Vasjh out into the world along with what I guess would be a large warband of Naga. Azshara probably contacted Illidan or vice-versa and Illidan was given command over the Naga. Either that or Vasjh ran into him and knew who he was. She saw that he had grown in power and pledged herself to him like Prince Kael'Thas ended up doing.

Its possible he never knew about them and just kinda found them wandering around and promised them power in return for their service. Who knows?

Is there any definitive story as to how Illidan managed to find the Naga?

folder icon   09-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Post #3
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

In the TFT starting cinematic he says "Now my blind eyes see what others cannot." So I think he got the ability to see the naga when he consumed the skull of Gul'dan. When he consumed the skull of Gul'dan he also obtained the memories of Gul'dan including the location of the Tomb or Sargeras and probably also the existance of the Nage. Being a sorcerer of great power, Illidan then contacted them and summoned them to the surface, and they allied because of their common hunger for magic and hatred for the Night Elves.

folder icon   09-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Post #4
Jezta

The Black Sphynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Ni
In the TFT starting cinematic he says "Now my blind eyes see what others cannot." So I think he got the ability to see the naga when he consumed the skull of Gul'dan. When he consumed the skull of Gul'dan he also obtained the memories of Gul'dan including the location of the Tomb or Sargeras and probably also the existance of the Nage. Being a sorcerer of great power, Illidan then contacted them and summoned them to the surface, and they allied because of their common hunger for magic and hatred for the Night Elves.

The "blind eyes" thing was a lead in to his next line. "Sometimes the hand of fate must be forced." Meaning he realizes what nobody else does, not a literal "hey I can see them thingies down there!"

folder icon   09-17-2004, 06:50 AM
Post #5
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Ok, here are some quotes from the warcraft history. This is the last time we hear of Azshara:

Quote:
Somehow, against all odds, Queen Azshara and her Highborne elite managed to survive the ordeal. Tortured and twisted by the powers they had released, Azshara and her followers were dragged down beneath the raging sea by the Well's implosion. Cursed - transformed - they took on new shapes and became the hateful serpentine naga. Azshara herself expanded with hate and rage, becoming a massive monstrosity, reflecting the wickedness and malice that had always hidden within her core.

There, at the bottom of the Maelstrom, the naga built for themselves a new city, Nazjatar, from which they would rebuild their power. It would take over ten thousand years before the naga would reveal their existence to the surface world.
And this is the point where the naga appear again:
Quote:
Illidan agreed and immediately set out to destroy the Frozen Throne, the icy crystal cask in which the Lich King's spirit resided. Illidan knew that he would need a mighty artifact to destroy the Frozen Throne. Using the knowledge he had gained from Gul'dan's memories, Illidan decided to seek out the Tomb of Sargeras and claim the Dark Titan's remains. He called in some old Highborne debts and lured the serpentine naga from their dark undersea lairs. Led by the cunning witch Lady Vashj the naga helped Illidan reach the Broken Isles, where Sargeras' Tomb was rumored to be located.
So appearently he just knew it "somehow", as there is is no real explanation. There is nothing in between these two quotation that explains it. I think I'm gonna replay the FT campaign to find some answers there.

folder icon   09-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Post #6
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

Well perhaps since he consumed the skull of Guldan he has the ability to sence power like some other magicians can! And Guldan could in the dream medivh showed sence the power buried deep underneath the sea. and since Illidan has always hungered for power i gues he tried to contact them ... who knows.

folder icon   09-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Post #7
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Hmmm, ok, I just found the quotation in the wc2 manual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vision of Gul'dan
Images came, flashing much too quick to comprehend. And then... something. A fleeting picture that left a longing stirring inside my soul...

...buried deep beneath the ocean; dark and ruined, but still breathing...
...still pulsing with the lifeblood of the earth itself...
...an ancient power...
...ancient and terrible...

It might be Sargeras, it might be the Old Gods, it might be the Naga. We don't know.

folder icon   09-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Post #8
Ravenclaw2099

Abomination

Quote:
He called in some old Highborne debts and lured the serpentine naga from their dark undersea lairs.

The phrase "old Highborne depths" seems like a clue.After all Illidan did side with the Legion/Highborne during the war of the ancients. My guess is that he did some favours for them, and thus they owed him some favours in return. So he summoned the Highborne he helped (now transformed into Naga) to repay whatever deeds he done for them, thus they helped him in his quest to destroy Ner'zhul.

And Knight, in reference to Guldan's vision, im pretty sure it was the Tomb of Sargeras. Why else would he have raised the islands during the second war?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   09-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Post #9
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

Quote:
Hmmm, ok, I just found the quotation in the wc2 manual:It might be Sargeras, it might be the Old Gods, it might be the Naga. We don't know.

thats Sargeras !

folder icon   09-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Post #10
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenclaw2099
And Knight, in reference to Guldan's vision, im pretty sure it was the Tomb of Sargeras. Why else would he have raised the islands during the second war?
Medivh doesn't reveal the existance of the Tomb of Sargeras until after the Horde had passed through the Dark Portal. The first vision was way before that. Also, Gul'dan doesn't find out the location until the Raid on Medivh's Tower. All these are seperate events.

folder icon   09-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Post #11
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

When did the orcs raid the tower of Medivh ? to my knowledge it was only the humans that raided it when they killed him ! and that was in war 1. As i can remember thats the only time the tower has been " raided " . And the plot for the deamons was to lure the orcs to open the tomb of sSargeras and Sarger had the power over medivh! Kiljaeden was afraid of Medivh becaue he knew how powerful he was and that it also was his master. teh reason for the orcs even being lead into Azeroth by the power of the deamons is to prepare for the deamon invation and release Sargeras!

Last edited by Urin_BloodfaceII on 09-18-2004 at 12:18 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   09-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Post #12
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Yes, it was the humans that raided the Tower of Medivh, but Gul'dan broke into the mind of Medivh trying to find the location of the Tomb of Sargeras. However, Medivh was killed while Gul'dan was in his mind, so Gul'dan was knocked out for several months (I think).

folder icon   09-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Post #13
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

Sorry was drunk.

Indeed, but Guldan saw only water in his vision, and felt the power of Sargeras. Sargeras used Guldan to :

1. Do his biding by invading the world of Azeroth
2. Make Guldan do 1. for the über prize that was a death trapp by releasing Sargeras.

I assume Sargeras let him get the location of the tomb of Sargeras, since Medivh/Sargeras was so friggin’ powerful.

Guldan was knocked unconscious, but so were everyone that was communicating through thoughts! The Warlocks in Draenor before the portal was made and when Guldan had the vision

Guldan was knocked out when he probed Medivhs thoughts and that gave doomhammer the opening to size power.

Last edited by Urin_BloodfaceII on 09-21-2004 at 06:46 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   09-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Post #14
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Please! Write grammatically coherent sentences! I just have no idea what your point is. No offence, really.

folder icon   09-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Post #15
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

edited:

folder icon   09-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Post #16
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Ah, it makes a lot more sense now

folder icon   09-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Post #17
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

why i wrote that bad ( beeing drunk) or what i meant ?

folder icon   09-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Post #18
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Both, I think. I had no idea what you were writing, and I wondered why your English had suddently become so poor.

folder icon   10-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Post #19
TheShadowHunter

Kodo Beast

Dueas on Malygos

gul'dan actually new of the tomb of the dark titan pre-orc invasion,it says in the last gaurdain that when mediveh visited gul'dan in his dreams he showed him images of azeroth including the location of the tomb.

folder icon   11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Post #20
K.J.

Kodo Beast

Quote:

Actually that "Blind Eyes" is referring to the fact that he knows about the threat that the Lich King is bringing to the world while most of the other characters don't

I love it when you call me Bunny loooooove!!

folder icon   11-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Post #21
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J.
Actually that "Blind Eyes" is referring to the fact that he knows about the threat that the Lich King is bringing to the world while most of the other characters don't
How do you know? Did he tell you? It is never said specifically, so we are free to speculate about it.

folder icon   11-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Post #22
K.J.

Kodo Beast

naw yo momma told me

I love it when you call me Bunny loooooove!!

folder icon   11-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Post #23
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J.
naw yo momma told me
I seriously doubt that. Has anyone ever told you that you are lame? If you've used this response before, I say that is rather likely.

folder icon   11-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Post #24
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

but he could be right ( if you look at it from a real point of view) ... since some magic dudes can sence power or magic with like a 6th sence( or 9th sence if you will) In the warcraft world.And It is prooven that by cutting off other sences over a long time you can get "super sences"( better focus your sences) and you can infact train some sences too. And since illidan does uses his powers all the time seeing as he is blind and can there fore focus his powers much better than regualr magicians he could perhaps feel some extra groove.

Like Hellen Kellers smell sence !!! ( which I assume you all have heared of through southpark or through school.

folder icon   11-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Post #25
Jezta

The Black Sphynx

No, no, no!
You all are taking his line way too literal.
He's setting up his next line. He sees that sometimes you can't just sit idly by and wait for something to happen, you have to take action. That's what his eyes see. It’s not hard to figure out; there really should be no speculation there.

folder icon   11-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Post #26
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

everythign can be specualted about ! but the how did he know about the naga ????

folder icon   11-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Post #27
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urin_BloodfaceII
everythign can be specualted about ! but the how did he know about the naga ????
In fact he didn't know about them at all. He was just depressed and wanted to commit suicide by jumping off the cliff into the sea because Tyrande had broken up with him. As a matter of fate, the water breathing spell of the naga ran out just in that moment (though it had lasted for thousands of years). What we didn't see in the intro movie was that Illidan did in fact jump off the cliff, but luckily the naga saved him just like dolphins sometimes save people. The "blind eyes" sentence is simply because he is so depressed that he sees only emptiness in life. That's how it happened!

folder icon   11-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Post #28
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

Point to you ! So you say ... " so my blind eyes see things that others see not " is infact that the life has no meaning and you might as well commit suicide ( this is not aa suggestion to any of the forumers at these boards to take suicide even to your a geek and your life sucks !!) would be a bit odd of blizzard to have such a message ... dont you agree ?

folder icon   11-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Post #29
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urin_BloodfaceII
Point to you ! So you say ... " so my blind eyes see things that others see not " is infact that the life has no meaning and you might as well commit suicide ( this is not aa suggestion to any of the forumers at these boards to take suicide even to your a geek and your life sucks !!) would be a bit odd of blizzard to have such a message ... dont you agree ?
I know, but in fact they don't quite send that message. When Illidan was saved by the Naga he was filled with such joy that he realized there was actually a purpose in life.

folder icon   11-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Post #30
M4tt

Gargoyle

Grimora on Shadowsong

Or maybe a mtstical llama told him about the long hiden kingdom of the naga.

But, hey I'm just speculating, although I have very credible sources about this one.

folder icon   11-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Post #31
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

I think you are right. You can always trust a mtstical llama.

folder icon   11-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Post #32
Ravenclaw2099

Abomination

Quote:

Or a Big FLoppy one..

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-07-2004, 04:33 AM
Post #33
Kjell Thusaud

War Chief

Micky Mouse on Crack

Quote:

But are there mtstical llamas in Azeroth?

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Post #34
Knight of Ni

Stoned Troll Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Thusaud
But are there mtstical llamas in Azeroth?
I think the mtstical llamas might have been the 6th race in warcraft 3, adn his "blind eyes" sentence might have been directed towards them. Man, I love speculation

folder icon   11-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Post #35
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4tt
Or maybe a mtstical llama told him about the long hiden kingdom of the naga.

But, hey I'm just speculating, although I have very credible sources about this one.

Thats just stupid ! and you know what ? you are too !

edit : " Nooooo I used my 5000 post on THAT !!!!!!!!!" WTF !

Return to Top  Pages (2): [1] 2 »

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: