ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > StarCraft II Discussion > My macro vs micro play style...
Search this Thread:

newthread reply StarCraft II Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

My macro vs micro play style...  
folder icon   10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
My macro vs micro play style... Post #1
Roof Shingles

Gargoyle

Hi All,

Looking for an opinion here...

I'm loving SC2. I usually play P but I think I'm gonna try with Terran 'cause I keep getting raped by MM rush. I sometimes win those with mortys but not always... I hate cheese.

Why am I going towards Terran? Mostly 'cause I think my macro is best with them. I love the warping in units thing, but having to be close to a pylon to get units is sometimes hard for me (less so with a proxy pylon, but still harder). Especially if my attention is elsewhere. I prefer hotkeying buildings and hitting the build hotkey for whatever unit i want and having a rally point close to the action (usually on several other units already part of my attacking force). I know I can do this with gates too, but I think I'd be losing somekind of advantage. Oh and having to use a queen to get production up also doesn't suit my style... again... I prefer to micro my combat and build at the same time... hard to do with warping and the whole queen targetting a hatchery for extra larva thing.

So ya... anyone else have this problem with Protoss (finding it hard to micro and keeping up unit production by warping units)? I'd like to know how you deal with it, cause I don't really wanna go Terran, to me they seem like the cheesiest race. But I think in this regard they are the easiest. Or maybe I just need more practice with P, I don't know.

folder icon   10-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Post #2
Urin_BloodfaceII

Demi-God

I love protoss, just having a hard time vs marauder timing push. If i see it coming i try to go collosi and speedlots as fast as possible. I love stalkers tho, so I am vulnerable.

folder icon   10-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Post #3
Pellanor

Administrator

I really like the warpgates. My micro kinda sucks though, so it can't really go downhill if I'm focusing on WGs rather than just hotkey buildings.

Urin: I've always found that immortals are great against mauraders. Is there some reason you don't like them?

Crusty (complete side note): Enjoy having Phaneuf as your captian.

SC2 ID: Pellanor - 760
LoL Summoner Name: Pellanor
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Post #4
Roof Shingles

Gargoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellanor
I really like the warpgates. My micro kinda sucks though, so it can't really go downhill if I'm focusing on WGs rather than just hotkey buildings.

Urin: I've always found that immortals are great against mauraders. Is there some reason you don't like them?

Crusty (complete side note): Enjoy having Phaneuf as your captian.

Phaneuf... ha... ya I'm not sold on that dude either... not looking good for my Leafs.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you mean by it not going downhill? Do you mean you build so many units via warpgates that its ok that your micro is a little weak?

Urin,
As for collossi vs MM rush... ya its great... but wow... you better build them fast, and do you build other units to support, you must? Can you give a build for anti mm rush using collossi Urin?

folder icon   10-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Post #5
Pellanor

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Shingles
Phaneuf... ha... ya I'm not sold on that dude either... not looking good for my Leafs.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you mean by it not going downhill? Do you mean you build so many units via warpgates that its ok that your micro is a little weak?

Urin,
As for collossi vs MM rush... ya its great... but wow... you better build them fast, and do you build other units to support, you must? Can you give a build for anti mm rush using collossi Urin?

Just came across this Turtorial to stop early MM pushes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLlzeecUsc

As for my micro going downhill, basically I'm so bad at micro that I might as well just be warping more units in.

SC2 ID: Pellanor - 760
LoL Summoner Name: Pellanor
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Post #6
Roof Shingles

Gargoyle

Ya I've seen this video before. I've tried it but I don't know... it did not work for me. I failed in two places I guess... I did not have enough energy to keep the MMs off the ramp (I used FF but after the second one I was out of energy so maybe I needed more Sentries). Then the other problem I had is that he focus fired the mortys and then I didn't have much else.

Also, that fails big time if you have a bigger ramp. Too many things have to happen just right for this to work... but my biggest issue with that is that you are relying on FF and you only have so many before you run out of energy. Can't build too many Sentries cause they are 100 gas, and you need the gas for the mortys and teching to collossi. Anyway... obviously from that video it is possible, but too many things have to happen just right... very hard for the P player.

Anyways, whateves. I played my first 1v1 games as Terran since I first put up this thread and I won all of them (only three, but still perfect). Hate to say it, but I think I'm giving up on toss in favour of Terrans (cheesiest race imo).

Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna try this cheese timing rush with Terrans and if/when someone counters it I'll let you know what they do.

Last edited by Roof Shingles on 10-06-2010 at 11:52 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Post #7
TheMadMac

Early game warpgates are always an advantage. But if you ever play something like say, "Deception" which is a macro heavy custom game, you'll find that gateways are the way to go. You can cue up a bunch of units at the same time instead of that coloring nonsense you get into. So if you're up to say, warpgates and you're just trying to push out units, change em back! you won't lose the advantage, you can't look back at those warpgates. It takes like 10 seconds for them to change. I say put em back to gateways and cue your units up to walk to your army. The time you don't have to spend looking at your base will compensate.

MMM is hard for protoss to beat. Marauders alone are actually difficult for protoss to beat, since terran air to air combat is superior.

folder icon   10-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Post #8
Ultra_punk

Administrator

Well you have to take advantage of what you have as protoss versus the MM ball in early game. Mainly it is sentry force field, a more mobile force (without stim) and proxy pylons.

It's not cheese for protoss to have forward pylons across the map. Early game in PvT is mostly about buying time. Like for instance if you rush at the terran army and he stims to come at you, just run away. He loses health across all his units and it limits his ability to stim later if he presses at your base.

You need to be gunning for colossus or storm. Get one before the other.

It's easier to be terran but don't cheese out! Afterall, I play zerg

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Post #9
Crusty_-_-Gloves

War Chief

I'm from BC pell, got H. Sedin as our captain

I wish i had more time to play SC, school is pretty rough this year

from my experience there's only a couple ways to beat a MM ball, chargelots and sentries, colossi/sentry/stalker like the video, or high templars. I prefer the colossi sentry/stalker (and maybe immortal) like the video just because it gives you the ability to fight air which is usually a pretty common transition from MM.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Post #10
Ultra_punk

Administrator

If you have colossi you ahve to be pretty bad to lose against an MM ball. I thought this was about early game.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Post #11
TheMadMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty_-_-Gloves
I'm from BC pell, got H. Sedin as our captain

I wish i had more time to play SC, school is pretty rough this year

from my experience there's only a couple ways to beat a MM ball, chargelots and sentries, colossi/sentry/stalker like the video, or high templars. I prefer the colossi sentry/stalker (and maybe immortal) like the video just because it gives you the ability to fight air which is usually a pretty common transition from MM.

Vespene is your limiting factor, you can't make stalkers colossi and sentries. If you're getting colossi your other unit is zealots, Maybe chargelots. If I don't know if he's going air or ground then I get templar, sort of. Templar cost Sooo much vespene and they take so long to charge, that... meh. They're okay. But with feedback they pretty much totally counter banshees, ravens, medivacs, and do some nice damage to BCs.

(feedback your enemy's medivacs before you psionic storm him ftw)

folder icon   10-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Post #12
Ultra_punk

Administrator

Well if you have your main and natural, then your army is likely to be colossi and stalkers. Your zealots are either from running down your cash or from the beginning of the game. Gas wise you can do that army mix quite easily.

Return to Top  

newthread reply StarCraft II Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: