ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > World Of WarCraft Discussion > Priest Talents -- Holy Spec
Search this Thread:

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Priest Talents -- Holy Spec  
folder icon   11-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Priest Talents -- Holy Spec Post #1
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

I started out as a Shadow spec and got myself up to lvl 34 so far. I respeced yesterday to Full-on Holy and *WOW* what a difference. My nukes take forever to cast now and I really miss Mind Flay. I am a waste of PvP time one-on-one, and it takes me a lot longer to grind now.

However, I rock an instance or Battlefield for my healing capabilities.

I am at the point now where I can make some well chosen talent picks in the future or continue to throw good money after bad. I have found two good Holy priest specs, one is true Holy and the other is more balanced. What do you think of them?
Holy Priest:
Discipline Talents (21 points)

Unbreakable Will - 5/5 points
Improved Power Word: Shield - 3/3 points
Improved Power Word: Fortitude - 2/2 points
Mental Agility - 5/5 points
Mental Strength - 5/5 points
Inner Focus - 1/1 point

Holy Talents (30 points)

Improved Renew - 5/5 points
Spiritual Healing - 5/5 points
Subtlety - 5/5 points
Improved Healing - 5/5 points
Improved Flash Heal - 2/2 points
Improved Prayer of Healing - 2/2 points
Spirit of Redemption - 1/1 point
Master Healer - 5/5 points

Shadow Talents (0 points)

None

Balanced Priest:
Discipline Talents (10 points)

Unbreakable Will rank 5/5
Improved Power Word: Shield rank 3/3
Improved Power Word: Fortitude rank 2/2

Holy Talents (23 points)

Improved Renew rank 5/5
Holy Specialization rank 4/5
Spiritual Healing rank 5/5
Holy Fire rank 1/1
Improved Healing rank 5/5
Improved Prayer of Healing rank 2/2
Spirit of Redemption rank 1/1

Shadow Talents (18 points)

Blackout rank 5/5
Improved Shadow Word: Pain rank 2/2
Shadow Focus rank 3/5
Improved Psychic Scream rank 2/2
Improved Mind Blast rank 2/5
Mind Flay rank 1/1
Shadow Reach rank 3/3

Last edited by Cholera on 11-17-2005 at 12:41 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Post #2
Big-Floppy-Llama

My thoughts are that if you plan on ever leveling again spec back to shadow. Holy, while viable for questing/grinding is probably one of the slowest ways to level. At your level the holy/disc talents shouldn't be required to do any instance (well, they never really are but thats something else)

That said, the two holy talents that will come into play 90% of the time is improved renew and spiritual healing.
Subtlety is all right, but with a tank that doesn't blow it isn't a big deal.
Improved flash heal is nice for PvP, but then again I'd probably just buble myself and cast away at your level. Until you get to the end game other classes probably aren't going to be taking down your shield and then some in one hit.
Improved prayer of healing - Pretty much a PvE spell, and not needed at that.
Spirit of Redemption - its only use is that the big bright shiny thing that pops out of your corpse lets people know a train ran over your ass and you're dead.
Master Healer - worthless.

For the sake of your sanity, go shadow until 40 then get some disc stuff.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-13-2005, 03:01 AM
Post #3
LunarElemental

Arch Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Floppy-Llama
My thoughts are that if you plan on ever leveling again spec back to shadow. Holy, while viable for questing/grinding is probably one of the slowest ways to level. At your level the holy/disc talents shouldn't be required to do any instance (well, they never really are but thats something else)

That said, the two holy talents that will come into play 90% of the time is improved renew and spiritual healing.
Subtlety is all right, but with a tank that doesn't blow it isn't a big deal.
Improved flash heal is nice for PvP, but then again I'd probably just buble myself and cast away at your level. Until you get to the end game other classes probably aren't going to be taking down your shield and then some in one hit.
Improved prayer of healing - Pretty much a PvE spell, and not needed at that.
Spirit of Redemption - its only use is that the big bright shiny thing that pops out of your corpse lets people know a train ran over your ass and you're dead.
Master Healer - worthless.

For the sake of your sanity, go shadow until 40 then get some disc stuff.

what he said. There is no reason to leave shadow specc before you head into MC these days.

when you do get there, you probably want to spend more points in disc than holy for good healing. I'm currently 31 disc 20 holy, and loving the mana regeneration. Our holy tree just blows, sad as it is. Master healer is only useful in 5 man dungeons (which are so easy anyways, you don't need it), and spirit of redemptions is, again as BFL said, a OH SHIT I DIED sign for your raid.

subtelty... i dunno i kinda like it. tank wipes will happen, and if so you have a little peace of mind knowing that it's prolly the rogue that's second on the aggro table

"My spirit burns like the sun and i shall dry you like a prune."

pappskalle.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Post #4
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

so, you are both suggesting a full-on shadow spec until ShadowForm and then drop points into the Discipline tree? Or drop a few into the Holy tree for decent Renew healing, some into Discipline for PW:S, and then focus the rest on Shadow?

I like the Improved PW:S, and my guild likes me to have PW:F.

...but now that i have explored the Holy tree and have found it to be severely lacking at this level, I am curious to see what it will be like to rock the house in ShadowForm.

folder icon   11-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Post #5
Big-Floppy-Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholera
so, you are both suggesting a full-on shadow spec until ShadowForm and then drop points into the Discipline tree? Or drop a few into the Holy tree for decent Renew healing, some into Discipline for PW:S, and then focus the rest on Shadow?

I like the Improved PW:S, and my guild likes me to have PW:F.

...but now that i have explored the Holy tree and have found it to be severely lacking at this level, I am curious to see what it will be like to rock the house in ShadowForm.

I'd go full shadow then put points into disc if it were me.

folder icon   11-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Post #6
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

I myself am leveling up a priest(currently shadow-specced) and I realize that I can't do shit in PvP right now. I know alot of it is the fact that Alliance aren't good players(really, they whine and bitch and aren't team players, I lose almost every time), I get raped by rogues(which take down my shield in seconds), warlocks(which outrange and outdamage me), and warriors(just kidding, warriors go down easy).

Is there any way I can improve on this other than "stay back and heal". I can't really stay back and heal since I'm their primary target and I have no escape spells.

folder icon   11-15-2005, 02:32 AM
Post #7
Big-Floppy-Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaggin
Is there any way I can improve on this other than "stay back and heal". I can't really stay back and heal since I'm their primary target and I have no escape spells.

You summed it up pretty well right there. If people want to get to you they can, and theres not a lot you can do about it.

Priests are the tanks in PvP.

folder icon   11-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Post #8
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

well, i'll tell ya what -- Fear is your best friend.
Mind Flay with slow them down if they are coming at ya.

Other than that, get the best staff possible (ie -- Crescent Staff from WC, or the Illusionary Rod from SC:Lib) for your level.

Now if the cooldown on Fear wasn't so long, i wouldn't spend so much time running away.

I also like to PvP near a steep drop or a cliff. I can always bug out over the cliff using some Levitate, as long as I have a spare feather.

folder icon   11-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Post #9
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

Quote:
I'd go full shadow then put points into disc if it were me.

Crap. I hate to have to drop another FIVE GOLD to respec at this level. I could wait until the 1.10 patch, but who knows when that will hit...

folder icon   11-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Post #10
~Crusader~

Ranger

Mailpouch on Burning Legion

Quote:
Crap. I hate to have to drop another FIVE GOLD to respec at this level. I could wait until the 1.10 patch, but who knows when that will hit...

A long time ago. Seeing as we are up to 1.9 now.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Post #11
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crusader~
A long time ago. Seeing as we are up to 1.9 now.

um... 10 comes after 9.
meh.

anyway... at the risk of raising someone's ire about "old topics", here is a link to an older one that has a few other worthwhile priest specs.
Each are a little more balanced, spending a lot more points in the Discipline tree.
http://forumsx.net/showthread.php?t=27545

folder icon   11-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Post #12
~Crusader~

Ranger

Quote:
um... 10 comes after 9.
meh.

I am sorry, but after 1.9 will be 2.0. Dealing with decimal systems can be tricky, I'll give you that.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Post #13
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

Quote:
I am sorry, but after 1.9 will be 2.0. Dealing with decimal systems can be tricky, I'll give you that.

riiiiight.
i'll let it go since you have never worked for any kind of software development company.

folder icon   11-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Post #14
Big-Floppy-Llama

Quote:

1.9 -> 1.10

2.0 is generally reserved for major revisions (such as an expansion.).

folder icon   11-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Post #15
~Crusader~

Ranger

Mmmm sooo you software people make up new decimals then? Yea i've never been good with that stuff. So what you are trying to say is: 1.10.0.0 right?

folder icon   11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Post #16
captainaop

Priest

Warrick on Nathrezim

Quote:
Priests are the tanks in PvP.

OMFG YOU STOLE MY LINE!!!

lol, something I ALWAYS say in a priest PvP discussion is, "Priests are the tanks of PvP" followed by something like, "You have to be prepared to act as such"... it's not hard when you get the hang of it. The second you see an attack coming at you, shiled + renew, then after the inevitable stuns wear off, immediatly fear and start spamming flash heal on yourself, shielding and fearing when you can, and hope your team kills them before they kill you.

Back on topic, the best thing to do IMO is stay 100% shadow till you get around lvl 50 or so, maybe 55 even... then switch to disc/holy, notice that I said disc/holy, not holy/disc.
This is my talent setup currently...
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...000000000000000
every once in a while I do switch back to shadow if I know I'm gonna be solo farming for a loooong time (and I know the money I make from it will outweigh the cost of respecing, lol)

Another pointless post by captainaop

My four highest lvl WoW char's...
1 - Warrick - lvl 62 undead priest, Nathrezim
2 - Jinzil - lvl 47 troll rogue, Nathrezim
3 - Sormflaith - lvl 40 tauren shaman, Nathrezim
4 - Wirack - lvl 36 undead mage, Nathrezim
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Post #17
captainaop

Priest

Warrick on Nathrezim

Quote:
I also like to PvP near a steep drop or a cliff. I can always bug out over the cliff using some Levitate, as long as I have a spare feather.

Sorry for the double post, too lazy to edit my last one...

Just thought I'd say, cliffs are a priests best friend. Mind Blast, SWain, Mind Control, walk off cliff... if the cliff isn't tall enough though you might need another mind blast or two. Also, I don't think you get any honor for just throwing someone off a cliff, so doing some form of damage before mind controlling is probably a good idea... Or if you need a quick escape, levitate off a cliff works too.

folder icon   11-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Post #18
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaop
Back on topic, the best thing to do IMO is stay 100% shadow till you get around lvl 50 or so, maybe 55 even... then switch to disc/holy, notice that I said disc/holy, not holy/disc.

every once in a while I do switch back to shadow if I know I'm gonna be solo farming for a loooong time (and I know the money I make from it will outweigh the cost of respecing, lol)

Thanks for the feedback. I think i will spend the 5G and respec tonight back to shadow. I am lvl 35 now, so I am almost at shadow form.
Quote:
Just thought I'd say, cliffs are a priests best friend. Mind Blast, SWain, Mind Control, walk off cliff... if the cliff isn't tall enough though you might need another mind blast or two. Also, I don't think you get any honor for just throwing someone off a cliff, so doing some form of damage before mind controlling is probably a good idea... Or if you need a quick escape, levitate off a cliff works too.

I am so glad you agree! (FINALLY!!! SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!!! )

folder icon   11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Post #19
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

Quote:
Mmmm sooo you software people make up new decimals then? Yea i've never been good with that stuff. So what you are trying to say is: 1.10.0.0 right?

almost, yes. More like 1.10.x.x, where the x's represent some set of release and build numbers.

We software people (that cracks me up) call this "versioning", and it doesn't work like actual "decimal" numbers. The standard is MAJOR.MINOR.RELEASE.BUILD where the Major release is incremented for a substancial overhaul, the Minor is incremented for some enabler patch (like all the content patches we see from Bliz), a release is incremented each time a set of files of that Major version is set into the "wild", and the Build is incremented each time a new build is compiled by the developers for testing/distribution.

...it works that way for lots of software companies, but not all. I haven't actually seen a published major/minor version number for the release following version 1.9 but in my discussions on other forums we have refered to it as 1.10.

Cheers.

folder icon   11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Post #20
captainaop

Priest

Warrick on Nathrezim

I think I posted this question on the WoW forums, don't think it got answered though... anyways...
those that mean that when the Burning Crusade comes out, it'll be 2.xx.x.x?

folder icon   11-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Post #21
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

Quote:
I think I posted this question on the WoW forums, don't think it got answered though... anyways...
those that mean that when the Burning Crusade comes out, it'll be 2.xx.x.x?

who knows. It is so far off (Q4 2006) that there is no predicting.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that you are probably right.

BUT... and this is a total THREAD HIJACK... but how will the expansion pack affect existing users who don't purchase it?

folder icon   11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Post #22
Big-Floppy-Llama

Quote:
who knows. It is so far off (Q4 2006) that there is no predicting.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that you are probably right.

BUT... and this is a total THREAD HIJACK... but how will the expansion pack affect existing users who don't purchase it?

Maybe, but possibly not. Some games denote a 2.0 version when there is an engine upgrade rather than added content. Their previous games usually stay at 1.xx, but we'll see what they decide to do.

As for the how the expansion will affect people without it, it'll likely let you see and interact with those people who have the expansion, but you'll be stuck at 60 while they're at whatever, you can see their nice shiny new epic toys, but not touch, etc etc. I can't really see a reason why you wouldn't get the expansion.

folder icon   11-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Back on topic Post #23
Cholera

Treant

Cholera on Detheroc

I spent the 5G and respec-ed back to Shadow this morning. At lvl 35, that's 26 points all in the Shadow tree. I am totally stoked to have Mind Flay back and now my Mind Blast doesn't take as long to recharge. Plus SW/P causes more damage (33%), and my Fade works longer. I just got Silence for the first time, and I can't wait to use that during PvP. Dang, my priest rocks again.
5 more levels until ShadowForm... I can't wait!

... which reminds me...
Have you seen it happen when you are using Mind Flay in a party against a mob and the bolt that you are channelling at the mob connects to all your party members?
Any idea why that happens?

folder icon   11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Post #24
LunarElemental

Arch Druid

Quote:
I spent the 5G and respec-ed back to Shadow this morning. At lvl 35, that's 26 points all in the Shadow tree. I am totally stoked to have Mind Flay back and now my Mind Blast doesn't take as long to recharge. Plus SW/P causes more damage (33%), and my Fade works longer. I just got Silence for the first time, and I can't wait to use that during PvP. Dang, my priest rocks again.
5 more levels until ShadowForm... I can't wait!

... which reminds me...
Have you seen it happen when you are using Mind Flay in a party against a mob and the bolt that you are channelling at the mob connects to all your party members?
Any idea why that happens?

fade = worthless for leveling.
it's decent when you play with pugs while leveling to 60, i suppose, but really what you should be doing is focusing on leveling. Loot is for lvl 60, when the game really begins .

this is the build i used until I hit 60 and had farmed enough cash for my epic mount (I also ran alot of ubs/strat/scholo and healed just fine with this build. Those places are such a joke now it's not even funny)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...500232410315151

you could substitute improved inner fire for 3 in mental strength, but I liked that + defense and staff damage for grinding.

After that it's a matter of what you want to do. Like to dominate the kill list in PvP? Stay shadow, we're one of the best single target classes in the game (don't let the whiny mages tell you you're just a wanna-be because it's not true). Wanna hit molten core and BWL? hit disc holy, heal till the mere sight of 40 green health bubbles makes you want to vomit.

I love my priest, I love it that no matter what my spec is I am one of the best classes in the game. People will probably never warm up to the idea of a priest doing something other than healing, but as long as you have some nice guild mates to run BGs with that don't complain if you like to DPS once in a while, the priest class rocks.

Well, except for all the fear nerfs. Epic daggers make me a sad panda :'(

"My spirit burns like the sun and i shall dry you like a prune."

pappskalle.
folder icon   11-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Post #25
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

I've seriously considered respeccing from shadow to disc because the benefits look great, but at this point I'm getting shadow-weaving and silence and I really don't wanna giveup spirit tap and mind flay(effects aside, it looks cool). and is shadow focus really better than blackout? I find the unexpected stun to be really handy in both pvp and pve.

Also, inner focus looks like it'd be hella sweet, a free cast with a likely critical effect. Is it all I am hoping for?

folder icon   11-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Post #26
Big-Floppy-Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaggin
I've seriously considered respeccing from shadow to disc because the benefits look great, but at this point I'm getting shadow-weaving and silence and I really don't wanna giveup spirit tap and mind flay(effects aside, it looks cool). and is shadow focus really better than blackout? I find the unexpected stun to be really handy in both pvp and pve.

Also, inner focus looks like it'd be hella sweet, a free cast with a likely critical effect. Is it all I am hoping for?

Spirit tap is so beneficial when leveling. I would say priests are one of the best grinding classes if you can get a good mind blast, pain, mind flay, wand rotation going. I wouldn't drop it until 60 (and not even then if you're going to grind for money). Personally I loved blackout in pvp but it messed up my pve grinding groove I always found the disc tree (minus improved PW shield and fortitude) to complement holy better than shadow. Inner focus is all right, I primarily used it for buffing. Considering the only worthwhile nuke that can crit is mind blast, its not really worth it if you're still leveling.

folder icon   01-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Post #27
captainaop

Priest

Warrick on Nathrezim

Quote:
Spirit tap is so beneficial when leveling. I would say priests are one of the best grinding classes if you can get a good mind blast, pain, mind flay, wand rotation going. I wouldn't drop it until 60 (and not even then if you're going to grind for money). Personally I loved blackout in pvp but it messed up my pve grinding groove I always found the disc tree (minus improved PW shield and fortitude) to complement holy better than shadow. Inner focus is all right, I primarily used it for buffing. Considering the only worthwhile nuke that can crit is mind blast, its not really worth it if you're still leveling.

hehe, posting in an older thread, oh well... thought I'd mention, one of the most useful things for inner focus that I found is, when fighting multiple mobs, and you're running out of mana, wait till you have like 15% health, then Shield, Inner Focus, and Greater Heal. Inner focus doesn't start the global cooldown, so you can do all three right away. Basically for only 450 mana (or whatever the cost of shield is), you get a whole life bar back. You can do that in PvP too, just gotta be aware of how fast your opponent will beable to take down the shiled. It's also really useful for Prayer of Healing or Greater Heal on the tank or something in instances. Due to the 5 second rule, casting larger heals with inner focus adds even more effieciency to it, especially for a priest going for spirit/mana every 5 seconds.

Return to Top  

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version