ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > General Discussion > Beta Test My Game!
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Beta Test My Game!  
folder icon   04-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Beta Test My Game! Post #1
Pellanor

Administrator

So I'm working on a racing game for my game design course, and need some people to help beta test it. The final thing is due in just a couple weeks, so there's not that much time, but it would be nice to get some feedback from other people.

Unfortunately the game is windows only, but I'm sure most of you will still be able to play it

Download Latest Version - Download with PhysX(only needed if you haven't already installed PhysX).

To install, just run setup.exe
You also need to have the PhysX System Software installed, and I've provided the installer in the zip file.

Controls (Keyboard):
Arrows or WASD -> Steer / accelerate / brake
Space -> shoot rice bullets
Shift -> Use Powerup
A/Z -> Switch between powerups
Ctrl -> E-Brake
Enter -> Menu selection

Controls (X-Box Controller):
Left Analog -> Steer
Left Trigger-> Brake
Right Trigger-> Accelerate
A -> Shoot Rice Bullets / Menu selection
X -> Use Powerup
Left/Right Shoulder -> Switch between powerups
B -> E-Brake

I just got the installer working today, and haven't had a chance to test it on many systems. The big thing I want to get checked is that people can get the game running. If you can, that's great. Feel free to comment on game play. If you can't get it to work, I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know what went wrong, and hopefully I'll be able to get it fixed

By the way, if you're getting a low framerate (which causes bounciness makes it hard to steer) you can go to /Serious Sushi/bin/game.cgf and change shadows=1 to shadows=0 (just edit it in notepad). That should help speed things up. If you're having problems editing in Vista or Windows 7 you'll have to run notepad in Administrator mode (just right click on it on the start menu).

SC2 ID: Pellanor - 760
LoL Summoner Name: Pellanor
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   04-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Post #2
Crusty_-_-Gloves

War Chief

I got it to work and it was actualy pretty fun. I beat the computers in a 3 lap race by over a minute though. The other racers don't appear on the minimap either, and half the time they ended up flying over the course when they took the jumps.

Also The credits and help menu's didn't work. I tried to play a second time but the program didn't respond and shut itself down. I re-loaded and played a quick 1 lap game and tried to play another and it made a screeching sound and shutdown like before.

It has amazing music too.

hope this helps

Last edited by Crusty_-_-Gloves on 04-11-2010 at 06:08 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Post #3
TheMadMac

AWESOME! Wow, very cool. I love the sushi dinner table theme, I like that we're just wheels of sushi, and I like how responsive these guys are. when you tell them to stop They Totally Stop. That encourages you to go very very fast but if you do that you'll end up hurting yourself a lot. It makes it feel very chaotic and fun.

There was a hole in the arena around the corner that you have to go very slow to bypass getting blown up. Also, I appreciated your insta upgrades on the top of the half pipe. But there are some really curious, weird physics going on up there. Whenever you leap above the half pipe I start to float backwards. There was another time where I did a bigger leap and found myself flying/floating all the way back to the start of the match.

Wasabi makes you go fast! Awesome! but if you use it before going on a ramp it usually flips you so land going the "wrong way".

Full screen works, but only when you reboot the game. The other video options don't change if you click on them.

My game always crashes once I finish the race. When I hit "fire" to continue to the next screen it informed me that the game was crashing.

okay, yeah, same thing happens every time. I get an error response on the dos sheet that reads...

TOO MANY PARTICLES!
tt1:7.00+0.10, sz:4+1 d1:0.01+0.00, n:7110/7110

Last edited by TheMadMac on 04-11-2010 at 08:21 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Post #4
Pellanor

Administrator

Sweet. Glad it's working for you guys. Those are a couple known bugs, and the AI difficulty is something we're also working on.

I'll be sure to let you guys know when updated versions are up.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Post #5
TheMadMac

okay, it crashed before i made it to the end this time. I did a five lap game this time. The game does seem to get upset the longer you play it in general.

Huh. Got through the five lap game this time without trouble. I don't know what was different.

Immediately after the half pipe you get the turn of doom. But, currently, the easiest way to deal with the turn of doom is to shoot rice at the boxes THROUGH the walls, because rice goes through walls. And then it's just a turn you have to take without boosting through it.

Best lap was 55:083. :-P

Last edited by TheMadMac on 04-12-2010 at 12:18 AM.
folder icon   04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Post #6
TheMadMac

I think the lag comes from this "e-brake" on off message. I don't know why it comes up but it comes up more often some times than others.

Also, you're making it pretty easy in the beginning of the game. First, you get no penalty for starting way in the lead by holding down "go" in the beginning and flying off. Then you immediately get a boost, the best powerup, and if you take your first left, you get a shield stopping people from messing with you early in the game which is the hardest part.

Ahh! Here's something. Did you know that if you shut the game down in a way that doesn't end in an error message, I do it by closing the game via the X button on the dos window, all of the computer players remember their powerups from the last game. So you get missiles up your butt if you start your first lap that way.

I'm sorry if this is like, way too much info for you Pell, I'm sure you know all of this already, but I really don't have anything I have to be doing right now so I thought I'd play your game... 20 times... I do enjoy the game.

Oh no! I'm stuck in an endless cycle of the game thinking that I'm upside and falling through a hole! okay it only repeated itself five or six times. Tends to happen when you wasabi your way over a jump.

I do think the win goes to whoever gets the most wasabi. I always assume that red tiles mean missile. It surprises me when red means soy sauce, especially since the soy sauce is grey.

Last edited by TheMadMac on 04-12-2010 at 12:34 AM.
folder icon   04-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Post #7
Pellanor

Administrator

Great feedback. The AI remembering their powerups is a new one, we never noticed it before. Also like what you said about the start, as that kind of balance stuff is something we haven't looked at much yet. I'll take the colour coding suggestion into account as well. Never really thought of it that way, but blue missiles doesn't make much sense.

folder icon   04-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Post #8
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

I played through it once so far, and it's good stuff! It feels so fun and 'pure' - reminds me of the days when I used to play Wacky Wheels and Micromachines racing games ^_^.

At first, I was wondering why a racing game was called 'Serious Sushi', but then I got in-game and it was indeed most serious!

I'm not very good - I only beat the comps by like....half a minute .

For what it's worth, the game also seems to crash on my comp when I 'press fire to play again' :p.

folder icon   04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Post #9
TheMadMac

When I boost off the first ramp I tend to hit an invisible artifact in the ramp about halfway up that knocks my guy off left or right.

I can't get that "remembering powerups" thing to happen again.

so if you jump off the half pipe on the left side by boosting and then hold forward and right you can make it back to the figure eights around start. but, if you flip yourself upside down on the half pipe, you stay there until someone comes around and knocks you around a bit.

best time: 4:52
best lap: 54:023

Last edited by TheMadMac on 04-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.
folder icon   04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Post #10
TheMadMac

Is it a bug or a game mechanic that it takes longer for you to regain your health the more you get blown up? I just played a game where I was screwing around, got up, let the game run to the point where it was very buggy. (if you let a match run for 10 minutes it starts to do funny things). My health actually took a full minute to recharge. that was fun.

folder icon   04-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Post #11
Pellanor

Administrator

I'm not sure about the health recharge. I'll ask my group about it.

Anyway, new version is up. AI has been improved a bit, but not much else has changed.
Download - Download with PhysX(only needed if you haven't already installed PhysX).

folder icon   04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Post #12
TheMadMac

hoho, yeah, they're a lot meaner now.
yeah, after all that practice, I still smoke em. but the game does seem bouncier/laggier now.

folder icon   04-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Post #13
Pellanor

Administrator

If you're getting a low framerate (which causes the bounciness) you can go to /Serious Sushi/bin/game.cgf and change shadows=1 to shadows=0. that should help speed things up.

folder icon   04-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Post #14
Funderbunk

Farseer

I start it up, I get:

SDL_app: Sushi.exe - System Error

The program can't start because cudart32_30_9.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Then it proceeds to actually give me the menu. I go to start a game, the whole thing disappears.

I tried reinstalling using the repair function. Going to remove and then reinstall it now. EDIT: Nope, still does it.

folder icon   05-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Post #15
Pellanor

Administrator

Finally got the game finished and submitted. Check it out http://valsarn.com/serious_sushi/

folder icon   05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Post #16
Ultra_punk

Administrator

Well i have to say, the website looks nice on first glance.

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Post #17
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

Website needs screen shots... come on!

I tried to download this (still am) but it seems to stall out at 2% each time.

Fun Infused Games | My Blog | Smooth Operator | Evilscale | Wellplayed.net
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Post #18
Pellanor

Administrator

That's weird... there shouldn't be any issues since its on the same server as forumsx...

Anybody else try downloading the latest version?

And yes, totally need to get some screenshots up.

folder icon   05-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Post #19
TheMadMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_punk
Well i have to say, the website looks nice on first glance.

"Here is some random text."

hehehe

folder icon   05-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Post #20
Pellanor

Administrator

rofl

yeah, guess how much time I spent on the content of the site

folder icon   05-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Post #21
TheMadMac

well just played through the game. I don't like sushi in Roman helmets. And I liked the wasabi as a boost icon! Why did you change it to fast arrows? Sure, it was kind of unclear, but when you realized that it was an icon of wasabi you had to stop and think about the metaphor for a second. It actually gives the game flavor. It works fine for soy sauce, maybe not so good for ginger but whatever. I like the wasabi part and whoever told you to take it out was wrong, it adds a lot of character to a pretty standard game.

Mario Kart did the same thing. Instead of a really standard looking missile icon you get a turtle shell. Instead of a boost icon you get a mushroom. Oil spill=banana. These cartoon images grounded the game in a Mario universe. The wasabi, ginger, and soy sauce put your game in a sushi universe. And since video games are all pretty much the same three or four games now (racing, first person shooter, a variation on tetris, and "Accounting! The video game!") the only thing that makes them interesting and worth playing is the character of the game.

folder icon   05-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Post #22
Pellanor

Administrator

Thanks again for the feedback

We never really discussed the icons and what not, focusing more on the gameplay than the look (as we're coders and not artists). Also the helmet thing was pretty last minute, we needed some way to tell the vehicles apart, and that's what we came up with. Had we more time and some more artistic talent working with us we probably would have had something better

Definitely something to keep in mind for whatever I work on next

Return to Top  

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: