ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > General Discussion > Diablo III new class, "Demon Hunter". This video is super cheesy next to deathwing
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Diablo III new class, "Demon Hunter". This video is super cheesy next to deathwing  Pages (2): « 1 [2]
folder icon   10-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Post #36
Funderbunk

Farseer

Did you play the first expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2, The Mask of the Betrayer? That was really fantastic. Storms of Zehir, not so much.

folder icon   10-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Post #37
Zorax

Sig Nazi

On a related note, have you guys played Fallout: New Vegas? That's some good gamin', right there. I was about ten hours into a campaign last night, turned off my computer, went to turn it on this morning and BAM! Bluescreen of death. My first thought was, "What is this, 1999?". Anyway, the point of my story is that New Vegas is pretty good; so far, it's more interesting than Fallout 3 was (and I liked Fallout 3).

/drunkonwar3.comftw

/bringbackwar3.com

folder icon   10-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Post #38
Funderbunk

Farseer

Yeah, well, that's Obsidian Entertainment for you. They release games with great stories and actual thought put into them (hell, they made Star Wars deep for fucks sake) and then they don't let you play them.

Cases in Point:
Neverwinter Nights 2
On release, had a gamebreaking bug right after the tutorial missions that nobody could get around until the first patch came out, making it effectively unplayable.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
A game so broken that modders have taken it upon themselves to create a restoration project that took several years to complete.

folder icon   10-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Post #39
Zorax

Sig Nazi

Nah, it actually wasn't the game that was at fault. My computer's been dying for weeks, now.

folder icon   10-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Post #40
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

Speaking of New Vegas, you seen the bug that lets you steal anything from any vendor anytime you want? It's pretty damn funny. Heard about it from CAD.

folder icon   10-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Post #41
Zorax

Sig Nazi

That sounds like a pretty darn nice bug. I doubt I'd need it though; before my comp died, I had broken into the Silver Whatever on the strip, the storefront of a weapons-dealing mafia family. They wanted to kill my sidekick, which I wasn't about to let happen. I used a Stealthboy and snuck around planting bombs in everyone's pants. After clearing the place out, I have over 10,000 caps and more gear to sell than there are vendors to trade with. Ridiculous.

folder icon   11-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Post #42
Black~Enthusiasm

Arch Druid

I get it, Blizzard thinks we're the dumb helpless bitch from the trailer.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Post #43
Zorax

Sig Nazi

I feel more like one of the dumbfounded-looking demons that Blizzard is dancing around merrily while shooting in the face.

folder icon   11-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Post #44
Ultra_punk

Administrator

I haven't played the expansion yet. As for Fallout 3, I guess after playing ten billino hours of oblivion when i got to Fallout 3 it just felt... too desolate. I mean it was cool for a few hours but then other games got in the way, it wa sjust hard to get into. It wasn't a game that i kept going, "omg omg i gotta play it", not like everything else.

Then again Oblivion, i put in a lot of hours and then sorta stopped playing for a few years then spent a several month binge on it all of a sudden.

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Post #45
Zorax

Sig Nazi

I think a lot of people had that experience, Ultra. I know that none of my Oblivion-playing pals got into Fallout, and I think it's because of the thematic shift to deserts and guns and drug addictions. That's a setting that simply doesn't appeal to people as universally as Oblivion's, I think.

folder icon   11-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Post #46
Funderbunk

Farseer

Am I the only one who didn't like Oblivion? What use is an open world if there's nothing interesting in it.

folder icon   11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Post #47
TheMadMac

ok, i just burned down The Watch guard station in Neverwinter Nights 2. I tried this game five or six times and never got to chapter three. I'm still amazed at how little I accomplish after an hour of playing this game.

folder icon   11-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Post #48
Zorax

Sig Nazi

That's how I feel about Neverwinter 2 as well. I can't ever seem to get anywhere in the bloody story.

folder icon   11-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Post #49
TheMadMac

You know, I'm trying awful hard to impress this bitch Neeshka even though she does NOTHING in combat. All she can do is disarm traps. I can bash my way through all the doors and chests. Her stealth stuff is bullshit since my party always follows two feet behind her even if they've been commanded not to do so. She never uses sneak attacks unless I tell her to "Always be stealthy" but then she's twenty minutes behind the rest of my party because she's tiptoeing around goddamn corpses I've already left behind. I leveled up "parry" but she takes more damage and does less damage than when she's simply stabbing people.

Why am I hanging onto her instead of someone who can conjure fireballs?

O and btw, if you can swing a two handed battleaxe you shouldn't pick up a bastard sword of instakill and say "O I don't know how to use this, I should just keep on using my two handed sledgeaxe". You should suck it up and use the bastard sword of instakill. Do you need an extra feat in exotic weaponry to use Ivy's artificially intelligent sword of confusion +1 from Soul Calibur 2? Yeah probably. A bastard sword? NO.

folder icon   11-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Post #50
Funderbunk

Farseer

Hah. If you know the story, go do the expansion instead. It's only tangentally related.

folder icon   11-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Post #51
~Crusader~

Ranger

Mailpouch on Burning Legion

Obsidian is a pretty poor developer. All they do is make B quality sequels to games already fully developed with mechanics.

Played Alpha Protocol? There is a great example of the quality of Obsidian.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Post #52
Funderbunk

Farseer

I don't know about New Vegas (I was never a Fallout fan), but KotOR II and NWN II were both superior to their originals, or would have been if they had worked at all.

The problem is you can never get to the video game bit because they never work. Which is too bad, because they have Avellone and Sawyer who are the greatest game developers of all time.

folder icon   11-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Post #53
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

What, precisely, was Alpha Protocol a sequel to in your mind? It was a good game, by the way. Not mind-blowing, not amazing, but definitely good. It had some issues but it did so many things right that it was still quite worth playing.

Quote:
Posted by Funderbunk:
Am I the only one who didn't like Oblivion? What use is an open world if there's nothing interesting in it.
Not at all. I tried to play Oblivion many times, but I could never get into it. I think 2 main things bothered me:
1) The story is this big urgent "YOU MUST DO THIS RIGHT NOW OR WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE HORRIBLY IN HELLFIRE" thing going on, but it feels like it's going on in the background. Nothing stops you from faffing about for a week of in game time and then going back to the main story, and you actually HAVE to do that if you want to experience 90% of the game, which is sidequest crap. Also, that's the part of the game that's, y'know, kinda fun--the sidequest crap. The main story missions all have a bland, seen-it-before, generic feel.
2) The character building mechanics are absolutely TERRIBLE. Quite possibly the worst I've ever seen in an RPG ever. I see what they were TRYING to do, and it was a great idea, but the implementation SUCKED. Explain this to me: why is it that the smartest way for me to build a character as an Archer with no magical skills is to take not Archery, but Magic and Armor and other crap I don't care about as my class' PRIMARY SKILLS? It's completely ass-backwards and I don't like it one bit.

folder icon   11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Post #54
the12thman

Night Elf Ranger

Yeah I hate oblivion

AIM: the12thman 11
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Post #55
TheMadMac

I lasted twenty minutes with Oblivion. The game seemed huge, and that was not attractive. It was actually a real deterrent for me. I don't want my games to be smaller, I just want them to be clear. I want the game industry to VALUE MY TIME rather than assume that I enjoy mundane tasks in games. I like a game that tells me how far I am from winning. I like point systems.

folder icon   11-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Post #56
Ultra_punk

Administrator

Depends on your personality really. If you were a guy that loved finding out stuff, doing crazy shit and really building up what you could with the mechanics presented, Oblivion was very fun. I blew like 200-300 hours into that. What I disliked was that they didn't properly change how people treated you when you became high and mighty. What i did find hiliarious is when i became head of the mage guild and fighter guild and whatever, i could grab some lackeys to follow me around. Too bad they sucked but it was real hiliarious when they blindly charged into battle only to die in awkward rag doll positions.

As for fallout, i am a pure and true fan of that series. I loved Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 was also cool. When I got to Fallout 3, it just felt like... "another team did this and was too scared". Yeah it was fallout, but when Fallout 1 came out that was like "THe bombs just fell". When Fallout 2 was presented, it was "The bombs fell a while ago". When Fallout 3, set much later from Fallout 2, it felt like the time period before Fallout 1 and the bombs JUST fell. There wasn't that sense of continuation, progress or whatever. It jsut felt like, "We made a world like fallout with the oblivion engine". That's what i was disappointed about and i couldnt really get into the game because of it.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Post #57
Dark Jester

Overlord

Oblivion sucked hard. I got to the 2nd town with all the guilds and got retarded bored. I was sprinting to the 2nd town and couldn't kill a fucking worm because I had too much fatigue to hit it.... DO NOT LIKE.

Honestly I think I just don't like open ended RPG DnD things. Didn't like Mass Effect and people jizzed their pants about it.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Post #58
~Crusader~

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Buster
What, precisely, was Alpha Protocol a sequel to in your mind? It was a good game, by the way. Not mind-blowing, not amazing, but definitely good. It had some issues but it did so many things right that it was still quite worth playing.

Nothing...the point was that Obsidian can make decent follow-ups but not their own franchises.

Alpha Protocol was extremely generic and outdated. Plus the cover system was broken. Also it was panned critically; Sega has already said they will not publish a sequel.

Gaming as a whole is on a very downward spiral. There have not been any true flickers of light since Demon's Souls last year for any progress. And probably nothing truly phenominal since the first Bioshock. We're in a drought currenly imo.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Post #59
Funderbunk

Farseer

You know who Obsidian is, right? Can't make their own IP? Fallout IS their own IP, it's just changed hands and they've just changed names. These are the guys who made the original Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Planescape Torment. They're the guys who Bioware leeched off until they were on their own feet, and now ironically they returned the favor.

"Sega has already said they will not publish a sequel."

Yeah, we've known this since a year before the game came out, just like everyone who followed it's development knew it wouldn't be good, and we know whose fault it is.

No, I'm not psychic, it's just simple reasoning. Here's why Alpha Protocol was such a disapointment: Sega would not publish it, unless Obsidian "made it more like Mass Effect". The shooter aspect was never supposed to be this important, but Sega delayed the game for a year and forced it in.

I think THAT's Obsidian's real problem - stupid publishers. KotOR II had half a year shaved off it's deadline and left it with no ending or proper Q&A support (which is why nothing worked) and to top it off, Lucasarts didn't give them the go ahead to patch it. Aliens: Crucible was cancelled even though it was 95% finished, because the publisher wanted to see how the new AvP did before releasing more Aliens games.

In fact, this is why they went bankrupt when they were still Black Isle. Publishers kept screwing them over. "Oh, your DnD games are making you lots of money, but not enough for us, so we're pulling your rights so you can't make The Black Dog" said Wizards of the Coast. "Oh, your next Fallout Project? Yeah, well, since we as the publisher own the rights, we're going to give those rights to SOMEONE ELSE INSTEAD".

Terrible business sense I guess, making deals with all the wrong people. I mean, what successful companies in the last ten years have been stupid enough to work with SEGA?

EDIT: Then again, Blizzard merged with Activision, so I guess it's just publishers all around.

Last edited by Funderbunk on 11-06-2010 at 06:56 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Post #60
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Oh no, it was panned critically! Stop the presses!

...oh wait, why should I care what critics think?

Say what you want, Alpha Protocol was a good, enjoyable game. Like I said, not great, but I'm very glad I bought it and played through it. The worst part was the final area, honestly. The shooter aspect was pretty much all that was there, and it felt really forced(which makes more sense given what Funderbunk said).

folder icon   11-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Post #61
Funderbunk

Farseer

The only critic I listen to is Yahtzee, and for someone who hates EVERYTHING he was pretty positive about Alpha Protocol.

Well, comparatively positive anyway.

Anyway, there's plenty of terrible games who get great scores and great games who get terrible scores. I can tell you exactly what happened for everyone, especially on websites like Gamespot (who in fact fired staff for exposing this about a year ago). Great score means the company paid up, bad score means the company said "screw you we ain't paying for reviews".

This explains why reviewers never seem to have any idea what they're talking about. And why things like "Wii Party" get great scores while the reviewers still can't stop complaining that casual games a re crap.

Last edited by Funderbunk on 11-06-2010 at 01:32 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Post #62
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

That's really not that surprising. It's one reason it's better to listen to independent reviewers(a la Yahtzee) and word of mouth instead of trusting review sites or magazines.

Although, to clarify, Wii Party isn't BAD, if that's what you're looking for. There's some decent fun to be had there with 3 of your friends. It knows exactly what it is. It's just absolutely nothing more than that.

I don't usually agree with Yahtzee's overall opinion of games, since I'm not nearly as harsh as he is and I like different things, but since he's so critical it's usually a good sign that a game is worth getting if he likes it at all. How much he hates anything is also usually an indicator, though there are some that I just completely disagree on(Dead Space and anything qualifying as a JRPG come to mind).

folder icon   11-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Post #63
~Crusader~

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funderbunk
You know who Obsidian is, right? Can't make their own IP? Fallout IS their own IP, it's just changed hands and they've just changed names. These are the guys who made the original Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Planescape Torment. They're the guys who Bioware leeched off until they were on their own feet, and now ironically they returned the favor.

"Sega has already said they will not publish a sequel."

Yeah, we've known this since a year before the game came out, just like everyone who followed it's development knew it wouldn't be good, and we know whose fault it is.

No, I'm not psychic, it's just simple reasoning. Here's why Alpha Protocol was such a disapointment: Sega would not publish it, unless Obsidian "made it more like Mass Effect". The shooter aspect was never supposed to be this important, but Sega delayed the game for a year and forced it in.

I think THAT's Obsidian's real problem - stupid publishers. KotOR II had half a year shaved off it's deadline and left it with no ending or proper Q&A support (which is why nothing worked) and to top it off, Lucasarts didn't give them the go ahead to patch it. Aliens: Crucible was cancelled even though it was 95% finished, because the publisher wanted to see how the new AvP did before releasing more Aliens games.

In fact, this is why they went bankrupt when they were still Black Isle. Publishers kept screwing them over. "Oh, your DnD games are making you lots of money, but not enough for us, so we're pulling your rights so you can't make The Black Dog" said Wizards of the Coast. "Oh, your next Fallout Project? Yeah, well, since we as the publisher own the rights, we're going to give those rights to SOMEONE ELSE INSTEAD".

Terrible business sense I guess, making deals with all the wrong people. I mean, what successful companies in the last ten years have been stupid enough to work with SEGA?

EDIT: Then again, Blizzard merged with Activision, so I guess it's just publishers all around.

Black Isle Studios developed two of the three games you mentioned. Granted that Obsidian has several guys left from the now defunct developer, the top 3 guys on Fallout (Cain, Boyarksy, and Taylor) are not affiliated with Obsidian. Boyarksy is actually a lead developer on Diablo 3 currently.

Bioware developed the Baldur's Gate series, it was published by Black Isle Studios and Interplay. The engine for Baldur's Gate was developed by Bioware and was subsequently used by Black Isle Studios for the sequels and for Planescape.

Hence, point being, Obsidian I would hardly affiliate with past success as the former.

Sega actually planned on doing a sequel until they saw how horribly the game was recieved and poor sales. Soon after they released they dashed any hopes for a sequel.

Don't blame the Mass Effect...effect! The gameplay was extremely outdated and technically buggy and flat broken at times. The storyline was decent, but generic and predictable.

Fallout's rights were sold when Black Isle went defunct, hence the company lost any claim to the rights of the franchise.

folder icon   11-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Post #64
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

New Vegas is pretty fucking fantastic. Literally better than fallout 3 in every way.

folder icon   11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Post #65
Ultra_punk

Administrator

What's new in New Vegas?

folder icon   11-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Post #66
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

definitely feels more like one of the older fallouts. the story is a lot better, skills like speech and science are useful, melee/unarmed playthroughs are actually pretty fun now, and the companions are pretty cool.

folder icon   11-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Post #67
Zorax

Sig Nazi

I also felt like I had more agency in the world than in Fallout 3. And the world is simply more interesting. You have to choose which faction to help against the others, and the choices aren't as simple as Light Side/Dark Side. Plus, there a gang of murderous Elvis impersonators. And no subway tunnels.

folder icon   11-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Post #68
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorax
And no subway tunnels.
this

folder icon   11-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Post #69
TheMadMac

I caved and bought fallout new vegas while I was sick. I want to play it from beginning to end, because I like playing a game beginning to end, and I just don't see that happening... This world is huge. LOTS of walking across the desert. LOTS of it.

AND. IT'S BUGGY.

Jesus, I didn't think they'd be true to that part of Fallout 1 and 2. My game crashes every day. Inventory problems crash it, if my Internet connection wavers it crashes, if STEAM wants to ADVERTISE TO ME WHILE I'M PLAYING THEIR GAME it CRASHES. Once I figured out that I had to save every 5 minutes I stopped getting angry and just let it all happen. Game got me through the flu. But man, I was shocked.

Return to Top  Pages (2): « 1 [2]

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: