ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > Flagship Studios > Free + Paid Multiplayer Modes
Search this Thread:

newthread reply Flagship Studios
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Free + Paid Multiplayer Modes  
folder icon   05-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Free + Paid Multiplayer Modes Post #1
Ultra_punk

Administrator

So i saw this on another forum by Ivan

Quote:
So to briefly clarify, Hellgate: London is an action-RPG with a fully developed singleplayer mode and multiple online modes. Our online modes vary, too. Some will be comparable to Diablo (your typical 2 to 32-player instanced experience or whatever), while another may include more MMO-like functionality and will thus be comparable to those sorts of games (Guild Wars and whatnot).

We will definitely have some form of free online multiplayer. However, we have not yet figured out how we're going to fund the ongoing operation of our MMO-like game... It could conceivably cost something. It could revolve around micro-purchases. It could focus on expansions and episodic content. It could be anything. The point is, we need to generate revenue for ourselves and our publishers so that we can maintain continual support while not screwing over the user. Without ongoing funding, we will be hard-pressed to justify spending money on patches and new content updates, the reason being: why work for people who are no longer making you money when you can focus on creating a new product to sell?

The games industry is still a business, remember. We at Flagship desperately want to make the best game we can for all of you and then have you play it forever. We also want that experience to be supported during that time... Now how do we make that happen? How do we convince our investors that ongoing support is of paramount importance? Easy! We prove that ongoing support earns a profit.

Anyway, expect an announcement regarding our MMO-like online plans in the near future. For now, rest easy knowing you will at least have access to some kind of free online game.

What would you think of all free multiplayer, all paid multiplayer or half/half?

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Post #2
dimitri583

Faster! More Intense!
ForumsX Administrator

i dont think they would make it as an MMORPG. I mean, then again, thats what they said about WoW, seeing how Everquest had such a stranglehold of the MMORPG world, but then again, the warcraft universe is widely known and beloved. Hellgate: London is an entirely new gam by an entirely new company that has no fanbase yet. I think they should support a limited multiplayer element, and keep it free in order to bring in gamers. Once you build up a gamer base, then explore more advanced genres like MMORPGs. Until then, stay mainstream RPG.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Post #3
Bryndon

Chaos Blademaster

Make it so you have to beat all or some of a "free" multiplayer game, and then offer the customer the chance to experience the game as a paid MMOG. That way, people can see how fun it is to play multiplayer, and they won't be absolute n00bs when they start out on the "real man's game".

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Post #4
Ultra_punk

Administrator

So basically what you are suggesting is a free noobfest but paid multiplayer is where it has any real gameplay value?

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
Return to Top  

newthread reply Flagship Studios
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: