ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Whats goin on with WAR3
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Whats goin on with WAR3  
folder icon   06-24-2001, 02:15 AM
Whats goin on with WAR3 Post #1
ElvenAssasin21

Critter

Alright now, from what i have seen on Warcraft 3, it looks like it is gonna kick some ass. But, i am still curious why no water units and why is the max level for heros 10? Now the question i am gonna ask kind of is 2 questions. Why did u make it so that heros can be revived with only gold and not mana stones. Why not, from what i hear mana stones are precious and are not come across often. Cause if they cost mana stones to revive it would be harder to revive them rite? Because in a multiplayer game people wont really care if they lose a hero cause they know they can revive it for just gold. If it took mana stones they would be more cautious if they lost a hero. Because gold is expendable, but mana stones are just damn rare.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-24-2001, 02:35 AM
Post #2
Quimquay

Overlord

First of all, Blizzard won't answer you on this forum, so don't say "why don't you do this".

1) There are no water units (like War2) because that would interfere with the whole hero system. Ships in War2 are extremely powerful, and would make the land combat (which is more involved than ever) unbalanced. And would they need ship heroes as well? That would be silly. Land units can also walk through most shallow water, so there would be bizarre confrontations between melee units and ships. Another reason is because they would need to be extremely large, and probably tax the system too much. There is, however, a goblin zepplin NPC which acts as a air transport, so you aren't limited to ground for troop movement.

2) It hasn't been announced exactly what mana stones are, and how they are acquired/used. I suspect you are awarded them for completing quests, and other things (not all maps have quests, i'd imagine). I also suspect they are present to limit the number of new heroes you can acquire at one time. Using them for reincarnation would be flawed, since Blizz really wants you to have fun with your heroes, and put them in the heat of battle. If you need mana stones to require them, people might hesitate before using the heroes. War3 is not a battle of economies, it is a battle of combat strategy. Blizz wants your heroes to be in every battle, i think.

3) The level cap is 10 to limit the growth of a hero. If one ever got to level 100 say, it would be so invincible and so fast, that the game would become unwinnable. There are tricks that you can use to level up your heroes infinitely (the sacrifice altar, or killing your ally's units) so Blizzard had to set a strict limit. Plus, with a lower limit, it encourages you to play around with a few heroes, instead of just one, since they can only get so strong. Remember that games only last about 20-30 minutes (probably less in War3) so a higher limit would be pointless.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-24-2001, 02:36 AM
Post #3
Minatar12

Dread Lord

There are no naval units for 2 reasons, I think. 1) Blizzard wanted to stress RPG elements in the game, and its hard to complete quests using ships. 2. It seems awkward that the Undead would use ships...I mean it just doesn't make sense. I used to be mad at that but now I'm not, because now they've concentrated on land battles, making them more interactive, and instead of worrying about ships, they worried more about quests and integrating the storyline.
All right, see ya.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-24-2001, 02:36 AM
Post #4
dimitri583

Faster! More Intense!
ForumsX Administrator

no naval units cuz they wanted rpg elemts in the game. u cant really have a hero ship, or something, cuz ships are manned by many crewmenbers, it jsut wouldnt fit. small armies, morel iek groups actually.

also, they did that so u would use ur heroes, isnteado f casutiously haording them in ur base. also, ur hero's inventory gets ressurected with the hero, as well. for the same reason.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-25-2001, 01:00 AM
Post #5

i always hated the navy aspect, it was gay to me. air too. only got the zepplins. those were bad ass scouts. what if you had to load your hero on a transport. they are weak and aere walways targets. also if you need a navy, heroes are worthless. its whoever has the better navy and can keep the other of their island. remember heroes can't fight in the ocean thats 3000ft deep. so they eliminated it for that reason.(thank god )

edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-25-2001, 04:36 PM
Post #6
DeadFork

Kodo Beast

mana stones will be collect when you kill creeps(NPC;s, random guy that are on the map tat arent your primary enemy) after there dead the mana stones will be put in your stock pile

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-26-2001, 08:27 PM
Post #7
Hell J13000

Warlock

The reason you ressurect heroes with gold is that there are a limited amount of creeps on the map.

Blood is thicker than water, but it doesn't taste better
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-26-2001, 08:30 PM
Post #8
Quimquay

Overlord

Exactly, HellJ. The number of heroes you can have is linked to the number of mana stones on the map. Do you get a mana stone for every NPC you kill?

I think you should get a mana stone when you kill a hero (an enemies, of course). That'd be sweet.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: