ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Your best and worst map?
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Your best and worst map?  
folder icon   06-07-2003, 06:21 PM
Your best and worst map? Post #1
XanTerD

Catapult

Simple questions: which maps do you seem to do the best on, and which ones do you seem to struggle with?

Personally, I absolutely hate Stromguarde. I, like, hate it with a passion. Maybe because its big and you can't really be aggressive on it. Although I won a few games on it today, I have been going thumbs down on it lately.

My best map is probably Scorched Basin. I think I have an 80 percent win percentage there, although its like 20% on Strom. I don't know why I do so well on it. Maybe because its a very wide open map, good for creeping or for an early attack. On all other maps I go essentially 50% which makes sense cuz my overall winning percentage is about 50% overall on both of my accounts.

Favorite map would have to be either LT or Gnoll Wood. Granite golems own your bones.

"Life moves on, whether we act as cowards or heroes. Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such."
- Henry Miller
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Post #2
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

I absolutely hate LT. It's the worst map in the entire game. It's way too structured, you always know where your opponent is, and it's not even pretty. I don't know exactly what makes it so bad, but it feels like I'm playing a turn-based game instead of an RTS, it's so played out.

My favorite map is Drywater Gulch for FFAs. If you don't know why, then play me...

folder icon   06-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Post #3
Darkwolf

Overlord

I don't think LT is the best map, but I'm definetaly best at it. The one map I HATE is Plains of Snow. I always lose there.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Post #4
Zaknafien

Overlord

I like the "wierd" maps where people have trees preventing direct attack or bases 2 inches away from each other.......stuff like that

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Post #5
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Plunder Isle. My favourite map, hands-down.

Look at my stats on plunder isle and er.....ignore the other maps . I hate the limited 'thumbs down' thing in FT! I liked playing exclusively on plunder isle .

-G R U N T- has attached this image:

folder icon   06-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Post #6
Menofhonor

Tauren

LT is by far my favorite map cause its just perfect. There are alot of creeps and they gradually grow in difficulty. There are lots of expansions incuding naturals which are close and corners that are harder to get to. It really doesnt favor any races. It has a well of healing so orcs have a place to heal their grunts early on. Its also small enough to harrass alot but enough places so that you can hide expansions and have to scout alot.

Least favorite map is stromguard. It is so freaking big. It has 1 entrance to bases which promotes turtling. The creeps go from a few easy ones to all very hard ones so you have to kind of take a break in between creeping. You get a free expo practically as there is one entrance to that and its the same as your base entrance. Also I believe that this map favors humans because using defend allow them to creep all of the hard creep alot faster than the other races.

folder icon   06-08-2003, 08:11 AM
Post #7
Zaknafien

Overlord

What does defend let human creep? All the nasty creeps on there are chaos damage, and their spells(lightning shield, frost nova) are anti-melee/small units.

Also, you can turtle on any map you please Remember those guys we played on LT who made solid walls of cannon/spirit towers across their bases? But since turtling never works, it doesnt matter what map people try to turtle on, because theyll die anyway.

And in lvl 10+ FFA's, maybe 1/10 of the people turtle anyway Its only newb teams that try it.

And as far as the free expo goes, Its not that free at all. Its still vulnerable to a rush(you can use your early resources for an army to get the expansion, or 50 towers, but not both at the same time)

And speaking of favored races, LT lets humans massacre every natural, 2 of the middle camps and makes the pool easier to kill, and helps a lot with the merchants and the mines behind the merchant!

So humans have a definate advantage there, moreso than they have on stromgaurde at least.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Post #8
Menofhonor

Tauren

On strom those most of the big creeps do priercing damage and LS can be easily microed out of. I used to play that map alot in my early days with human just cause I could creep way faster than everyone else with defend. Who does chaos damage on the map anyway? As for LT all the piercing damage creeps are wimps the big creeps are melee. On LT the only real play I would use defend while creeping is the middle pool. Think about the other races on LT. DH and BM/FS can solo the middle ranged creeps and can take out the natural expo creeps easy. The UD can take out their natural with 4 ghouls and a dk and come out barely injured. If LT favors anyone creeping its ud because of the huge amount of creeps and the many smaller creep camps. I really dont see how defend helps on LT. Strom you can creep so many creeps with defend. If I remember right there are alot of creep groups with a lvl 8 and 2 lvl 5 guys and they all do piercing damage. Imagine how hard it would be especially ud and orcs to creep on strom. Orc have no early healing (they do on lt with the pool) so it hard for them to creep hard. UD has many small units that are hard to keep alive vs such big creeps until their heros have lvled a bit and they have bigger armies. NE can handle the creep because of moonwells but they can't creep near as fast as human cause the wells dry up and they have to go back every time.

EDIT: I just checked and the lvl 8 creeps do chaos damage. Even still you are able to focus on him and take them out very fast as compared to any other race.

Last edited by Menofhonor on 06-08-2003 at 09:23 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Post #9
Zaknafien

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Menofhonor
I used to play that map alot in my early days

Ya...... When they didnt do chaos damage. Now, every large creep on there that has enough damage to worry about it chaos. Sure you can use defend against a lvl 2 gnoll, but dont expect it to be any good against any decent sized unit on there. As someone who was playing that map right up until beta started, I can tell you that LT is a lot more human favored than it is It anything, its anti human because humans ussually dont have early game healing, and foots get chopped up by the creeps very easily.

And ya its easy to micro out of LS, but it hurts you more with tightly packed foots than with anything else except ghouls maybe. Only ghouls can heal.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   06-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Post #10
XanTerD

Catapult

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkwolf
I don't think LT is the best map, but I'm definetaly best at it. The one map I HATE is Plains of Snow. I always lose there.

Plains of Snow used to be my favorite map in War2. I had some great games on the map. I haven't played too much of it on War3 because I never play team games above four players and I dont FFA alot.

"Life moves on, whether we act as cowards or heroes. Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such."
- Henry Miller
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Post #11
Gnome-

Night Elf Ranger

I do enjoy LT quite a bit, but humans have a slight creep advantage early on because of the gnolls, most of them around the pool of health do pierce, a few normal. But it helps quite a bit. I also like Plunder Isle, AND Stromguarde. At first I hated Strom but it's grown on me.

When it comes to biting scrotums in
vengeance, "Who Knows"?

"GNOME KNOWS!"
folder icon   06-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Post #12
WhoaGod

Wyvern Rider

All i hear is LT, LT, LT. Geez... For 1v1 my best maps are Scorched Basin(I don't know but i seem to try alot harder on that map than on any other). Tranquil Paths is another cause it best supports my style of play. The third is Gnoll Wood, another map i do great on. Just gotta learn my new ud build on those maps. For my worst maps, that would be non-ladder maps cause i'm not use to them and of course FrostSabre! Omg i hate frostsabre i do horrible on that map even though i never lost on it.

folder icon   06-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Post #13
Menofhonor

Tauren

You like big maps huh. So you must not like alot of interaction. I will remember this next time I play you.

folder icon   06-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Post #14
WhoaGod

Wyvern Rider

Haha... Maybe i should stop posting on threads like these. Meno is starting to understand what goes on through the mind of whoa during a game . Anyway i like the small maps just as much as the big, nearly all my ladder games ended in like 13:00 minutes, i micro best in small battles and whoever said the undead can't harrass . Maybe i gotta start taking a different approach with you meno, your winning streak has come to an end .

folder icon   06-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Post #15
Zaknafien

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by WhoaGod
Haha... Maybe i should stop posting on threads like these. Meno is starting to understand what goes on through the mind of whoa during a game . Anyway i like the small maps just as much as the big, nearly all my ladder games ended in like 13:00 minutes, i micro best in small battles and whoever said the undead can't harrass . Maybe i gotta start taking a different approach with you meno, your winning streak has come to an end .

Who did say the UD cant harass anyway? I wanna laugh at that moron.
And in TFT, you cant harass the UD back either

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   06-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Post #16
WhoaGod

Wyvern Rider

The public and stuff zak, hey come on to classic so i can watch you 1v1 meno!

folder icon   06-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Post #17
food

Overlord

I seem to do good on DW and LT. I do horribly on HM.

folder icon   06-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Post #18
Zaknafien

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by WhoaGod
The public and stuff zak, hey come on to classic so i can watch you 1v1 meno!

You know the public is stupid.......UD are probably the best harassers, with a DK and a few ghouls.

You should get Rise of Nations and play a real strategy game

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   06-11-2003, 01:43 AM
Post #19
Mullet Crusader

Warlock

My favorite Ladder maps are Lost Temple, Plunder Isle and Legends.

Mullet Crusader - (You crazy drunk Irish bastard)
- Silencer 7's 8k Post Speech
folder icon   06-14-2003, 03:46 AM
Post #20
HB88
Banned

I like timbermaw hold or whats it name it got dragons. but my favorite is helms deep realistic, and ww2 blietzkrieg them maps are awsome

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   06-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Post #21
Zherak_Khan

Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaknafien
You should get Rise of Nations and play a real strategy game

Or just StarCraft:BroodWar.

folder icon   06-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Post #22
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

How many of you played a map on Drywater gulch? If you havent, you should play me sometime. It's my favorite map, but no one ever wants to play me.

I also like Ice Crown, but it's only for gigantic team games, which never happen.

folder icon   06-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Post #23
AzNtIbUrOn

Grunt

Plains of Snow and Stromguarde really tick me off. PoS (aka Piece of Shit ) is a predictable enemy map where I find myself in situations of tower rushing and limited creeping. Netime that I have to use siege to get to a damn goldmine really pisses me off. Stromguarde is just the opposite, but just as crappy. Although there is alot of creeping, there is no chance of rushing. Games in Stromguarde are long and horrendous, you get a frickin' free expo for gosh sakes.

folder icon   06-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Post #24
Zaknafien

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zherak_Khan
Or just StarCraft:BroodWar.

RoN nukes look sooooooooooooooooo much cooler than SC nukes though

And you know as well as I do that a games quality is determined by its graphics

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   06-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Post #25
Caj Darkmoon

Arch Druid

Ya know what i find odd? In War2 the vast majority said that GoW was their favorit map. It allowed more strategy then any other war2 map... yet in war3 its hardly mentioned. What changed?

folder icon   06-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Post #26
Zaknafien

Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by CajDarkmoon
Ya know what i find odd? In War2 the vast majority said that GoW was their favorit map. It allowed more strategy then any other war2 map... yet in war3 its hardly mentioned. What changed?

Gameplay. War3 is abut micro and smaller armies, and GoW is freaking huge.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   06-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Post #27
Zherak_Khan

Dread Lord

The fact that most people play ladder and cant play GoW on it might also be a factor.

Zak: I hope you didnt mean that, because you can give me whichever fackin graphics you want and I will still take StarCraft over a game with RoC "strategy". When concering RoN...it hardly works and is a bit confusing and I havent got multiplayer and I will spend my money on blizz games. Besides, Im like "this" far from making it into Norwegian National Team in StarCraft, and I dont feel like giving up now.

folder icon   06-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Post #28
Zaknafien

Overlord

Actually, I was joking about the graphics

It does have quite a bit of strategy though. Actual unit couners for one, as well as terrin usage and borders and cool stuff.

It loses a lot of strategy in super late game where the economies are huge enough to fuel and endless stream of guys marching to battl, but in serious games someone always loses before that point. So I'd suggest a least trying the demo. Its also a differant way of playing, which I find refreshing after so many blizzard games

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: