ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > General Discussion > General Discussion > New Building: Feedback Wanted
Search this Thread:
Is the Vault a good idea?
You may not vote on this poll
Yes, good idea. [ 6 ] polls/bar2-l.gifpolls/bar2.gifpolls/bar2-r.gif 33.33%
No, bad idea. [ 8 ] polls/bar3-l.gifpolls/bar3.gifpolls/bar3-r.gif 44.44%
So-so, it needs some adjustment. [ 4 ] polls/bar4-l.gifpolls/bar4.gifpolls/bar4-r.gif 22.22%
Total: 18 votes 100%

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

New Building: Feedback Wanted  
folder icon   01-29-2005, 01:15 PM
New Building: Feedback Wanted Post #1
Quimquay

Overlord

I was trying to think of a way to make things a little more competitive. I came up with one idea.

Right now, there is no cap to the amount of money you can have. I propose to steal an idea from the Command & Conquer playbook: the Silo. I'll call it the Vault, since it's for money, not tiberium.

Anyways, without Vaults, you cannot have more than, say, 10000 credits. That's enough to buy almost anything but it's not that much. Building a Vault raises that limit by, say, 5000 credits. And the money is actually stored in the vault. That means that if your base is plundered, you lose the money in them. Your opponent gets a percentage of it, like with normal plundering.

And here's the catch: You can't build them in a safe sector.

This accomplishes a number of objectives:

-You have to leave safe sectors (if you want more than 10000 credits at a time)
-You can't build up a huge untouchable surplus of cash
-You have to maintain a strong presence in unsafe sectors (or risk the vast majority of your money)
-You can't horde your assets in your original safe sector
-It doesn't affect newbies at all, since the initial limit is high enough for a while

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Post #2
Eyrdan

Grunt

Might I suggest if you go that way that you also remove listing all of the players' bases on the profile view? Otherwise newbies attempting to get a foothold on unsafe worlds would get stopped dead in their tracks since everyone will be able to see where they are building without even needing to explore to find it.

Also, since this might be a rather strong source of income for Evil players, I'd suggest that it affect karma as strongly (I'm noticing less and less evil players, even the "somewhat evil" ones are becoming rare).

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Post #3
Eyrdan

Grunt

Just thought of another downside... 10,000 might be too low, as starting a new base (cost of building a new base) can be a large portion of that cap, thus making it even harder for to spread outside of safe sectors (although this can be adjusted, maybe making it 15,000 or so, so that you have enough cash to start the base and start some defense buildings as well).

Last edited by Eyrdan on 01-29-2005 at 05:05 PM.
folder icon   01-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Post #4
Quimquay

Overlord

10000 and 5000 are placeholder values. They are probably too low.... But keep in mind

Building a base all at once costs: 1000 for the base, 600 for the lab, 1000 for the HQ, 4000 for 2 armories, 2500 for the shipyard and maybe 2500 for extras (turrets, repair bay). That's 11600. So maybe 15000 would be a better lower limit.

I could remove the list of bases from the profile, too. Doesn't bother me, any. I never use it.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   01-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Post #5
Eyrdan

Grunt

Sounds good... and for the list of bases, I'm just trying to look ahead how it could be exploited... it's easy to look at a profile, see that he has more than 10k cash therefore has cash located in these 'banks', look which of his bases are located in hostile territory, and attack them... sure if he's well defended, it's not a piece of cake, but for players just emerging from pacifist sectors, they might be easy targets for those with already large warfleets.

folder icon   01-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Post #6
Highspar

Spirit Wolf

what you could do, is say that a certain % of how much a person has is kept in his fleets. so that way, not only do you get the xp for destroying a fleet, but you could find the strong box, and get yourself some cash. I see having bases with silos causing people to have to stay to a few sectors instead of moving around.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Post #7
eightball_slayer

Grunt

I think the vault idea is good but the number for each vault should be higher like 10k, you can only have 12 building a base so 5k a vault wouldnt be enough for a immediate threat or have a clan bank sort of thing where clan leader can distribute money to each clan member.

folder icon   02-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Post #8
Quimquay

Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball_slayer
I think the vault idea is good but the number for each vault should be higher like 10k, you can only have 12 building a base so 5k a vault wouldnt be enough for a immediate threat or have a clan bank sort of thing where clan leader can distribute money to each clan member.

The numbers I've been using are:

15k as a base amount
15k for each Vault

For many cases, you only need one Vault. 30k is high enough for any purchase. Realistically, you will probably have 2 Vaults. 45k is quite a bit of cash.

folder icon   02-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Post #9
Magnum375

Grunt

How much will it cost to create a vault, and how long will production time be on it?

folder icon   02-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Post #10
Quimquay

Overlord

1000 credits and 1 hour.

folder icon   02-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Post #11
Magnum375

Grunt

Eh, sounds reasonable, though being picky, I dont exactly agree with the price...

folder icon   02-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Post #12
Quimquay

Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum375
Eh, sounds reasonable, though being picky, I dont exactly agree with the price...

Hmm, 500 then.

folder icon   02-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Post #13
Zorax

Sig Nazi

I currently have $800,000. This really shouldn't happen again. I say, keep the cost at 1,000 or 2,000.

folder icon   02-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Post #14
Quimquay

Overlord

You'd need 52 Vaults to store that much.

Some people have over a million. Yeah, this will fix the problem of people having near infinite reserves of cash. If you wanted a huge reserve, you'd need to have lots of well-defended bases, which is fine by me.

folder icon   02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Post #15
Magnum375

Grunt

Well, think about it. Just to be able to store that much, it would probably cost you double just to defend properly.

folder icon   02-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Post #16
tse-tin

Spirit Wolf

Yahiko on Archimonde

will there be a fleet limit?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Post #17
Blask

Grunt

compared to the 3 mil i have that isn't much

folder icon   02-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Post #18
eightball_slayer

Grunt

i see a flaw in the well defended base comment, people would just visit every pacifist sector and fill them with vaults thus never having to defend anything and defeating the purpose of a money cap.

folder icon   02-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Post #19
Quimquay

Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball_slayer
i see a flaw in the well defended base comment, people would just visit every pacifist sector and fill them with vaults thus never having to defend anything and defeating the purpose of a money cap.

You can't build them in pacifist sectors.

folder icon   02-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Post #20
tse-tin

Spirit Wolf

Yahiko on Archimonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimquay
You can't build them in pacifist sectors.

on defeding these fleets will we have a max number of fleets? or maybe there could be a building like a 'hangar' that would increase our fleet limit. just make it expensive and a long time to build so nobody has like 50 fleets or anything at the beggining

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Post #21
Pellanor

Administrator

one possible suggestion for fleets:
base of 5
+2 per base (outside of safe zone)
+1 per special structure (hangar?)(canot be built in safe zone)
have the hangar as an advanced build.

this would be another reason to expand, as it lets you control more fleets. The 5 base should be plenty for somebody to start off with before expanding out of the newbie zone.

SC2 ID: Pellanor - 760
LoL Summoner Name: Pellanor
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Post #22
Quimquay

Overlord

A Hangar is a good idea. I'll put it into 1.1. It doesn't need to be advanced...

There would be a small problem when you lose the hangars and your fleets are still in effect. I guess the excess fleets could be disbanded and returned to your main base.

folder icon   02-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Post #23
Pellanor

Administrator

the question would be, which fleets get disbanded?

I think what you would want to do is have a check, and every time a player has more then the allowed number of fleets, they get a prompt saying something along the lines of "We are no longer able to support all of our current fleets. Please select X fleets to disband. These fleets will immediatly travel to the nearest base and be disbanded."

I think you should run this check every time an order is given that way you can still check the maps and everything in order to figure out who you want to send disband.

Actually an idea may be that, on the orders page, when you have too many fleets, you're only option for the orders is "Travel to nearest base and disband". Then don't count any ships that have that order towards the fleet limit. Maybe add a boolean variable to the fleets table that is called "disbanding" or something, and run your query to determine the number of fleets based on fleets where that flag isn't set.
Still allow the player to cancel that order at any time (sans warp), as per normal, and just re-toggle the flag.

SC2 ID: Pellanor - 760
LoL Summoner Name: Pellanor
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Post #24
tse-tin

Spirit Wolf

Yahiko on Archimonde

do you have an idea on what the original fleet limit would be and how much space extra hangars would provide?

i think that you should start with 10 fleet "slots" and every extra hangar gives you 3 extra fleet "slots". the hangars should cost around 5000 and cant be built in pacifist sectors so nobody can build up fleets and then send them out without any risk. also i like pellanors idea that every base outside of pacifist sectors provide 2 "slots".

folder icon   02-26-2005, 12:33 AM
Post #25
Ultra_punk

Administrator

EDIT: Meh, said something irrelavent.

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
Last edited by Ultra_punk on 02-26-2005 at 02:38 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
Return to Top  

newthread reply General Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: