ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > Mountain King or Archmage?
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

Mountain King or Archmage?  Pages (2): [1] 2 »
folder icon   10-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Mountain King or Archmage? Post #1
Big-Floppy-Llama

I've been playing humans a bit more these days, and I usually prefer rushing the other base (mainly to kill miners and harvesters) with a hero and about 3-4 footmen (with 1-2 getting there as the battle starts). I was thinking about it, and I kinda figured that the archmage wouldn't be quite as good since you really need a lvl 2 brilliance to be able to cast blizzard or water elemental that much. The mountain king however has the nice thunderclap, but not much mana. Just wondering whic hero you guys think would complement my strategy?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-12-2002, 09:02 PM
Post #2
Zaknafien

Overlord

Actually, that may be the pally. He gives an extra 400 or 600 or something HP to your attack force, so even though he is bad late game he may be just the guy for a rush.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Post #3
Big-Floppy-Llama

True, but this is just to disrupt the forces not to win right there. So I don't want to be stuck with some crappy hero later on.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-13-2002, 01:03 AM
Post #4
Zaknafien

Overlord

Disrupting forces = MK. However, if you do do pally, he can sheperd a another hero up the levels with holy light as well.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Post #5
Wolve

Grunt

I have found that the mage is the best at rushes, water elements give you an extra unit to attack with. If you are goood then you will be able to keep your mage alive until he levels up, well you are attacking his base. When I decide to rush in a game it almost always ends up in a win. So if you are going to rush early in the game don't go in with the idea that it is only too disrupt his eco. go in with guns blazing, ready to kill.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Post #6
Executor

Spirit Wolf

i personally prefer the arch-mage....
why do u think pally is bad in late game...??? ressurection rocks
AM still is my favo hero of humans..

folder icon   10-13-2002, 01:41 PM
Post #7
keithjr

Dread Lord

Keith on Malygos

i think AM is better, mainly because i always use spellcasters. Brilliance is great. I either go water elemental for early creep/rush, or blizzard for tower destruction, but mostly i get water elemental. I think mass teleport is a game ending spell, since you can navigate the board so much faster. Need those extra siege units back at base? go back and get em my fav is making a water elemental invis, walking past the people's enterance defense, and if they have no real inner defense, just mass teleport to your invis elemental, and take em out from the inside out that is always a great strat, and if they town portal a bunch of people back that you cannot handle, youc an always teleport back out in a couple of seconds, and redo it when they leave again, and hope they dont have anohter scroll

folder icon   10-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Post #8
Skysphinx

Witch Doctor

I'd go archmage. you see, when you go rushing you are bound to find some creeps... and when you get to your enemie's base you will have gained at least 2 levels... depending on teh map.

By then you should have water elemental level 2 and brilliance level 1... I don't know, but that ought to be a neat rush.

Mountain King rocks too, just save your mana and be careful not to get hurt while arriving at your destination.

----------------------
zOOt says the arch-mage.

I hate the Huntresses. You should, too.

Last edited by Skysphinx on 02-31-2003 at 25:63 AM
folder icon   10-13-2002, 07:30 PM
Post #9
Zaknafien

Overlord

Pally is bad late game because the AM will just dodge around him and massacre your base, and the MK will smash your army so hard res will just give him more experiance.

BTW, level 3 isnt much of a rush.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Post #10
GLENN_3E

Shadow Hunter

Bah get both MK and Mage. I get the MK first and later the mage. Plus be sure to visit the gob merchant to get more mana pots. Then thunderclap away!

folder icon   10-13-2002, 09:48 PM
Post #11
Big-Floppy-Llama

I tried both the mountain king and archmage today and in 3 games each of rushing, I did find the archmage a little better. I was usually about lvl 3 from creep hunting, so the extra units the water elemental provides really helped. THe mountain king was good, but the stunning/slowing effect doesn't quite last long enough. Once I got sorceresses and priests the game was pretty much over (although this was level 3).

folder icon   10-13-2002, 10:50 PM
Post #12
Zaknafien

Overlord

Have you tried gaggins mana pot idea? If the MK had unlimited mana he would be the AMs equal easiily. Just get 2clap 1 bolt and you can really hurt them.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-14-2002, 10:26 AM
Post #13
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Yeah, I was on the receiving end of a high lvl DMK with thunderclap- NOT pretty!

That spell is seriously UBER, more so than the TC's warstomp. Sure warstomp stuns, but the THunderclap slows enemy units which makes them pretty useless unless they're casting spells. PLus, it does a TON of damage!

For early game disruption, though, I would say the AM vs NE, since their wisps can make short work of Water elementals. THe DMK is the ideal choice in such a scenario .

folder icon   10-14-2002, 02:04 PM
Post #14
Friend of Fidel

Ranger

actually 2 blizzards can kill all the workers mining gold easily exept for night elves so you don't need a lvl 2 brilliance aura...

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Post #15
Big-Floppy-Llama

Quote:
Originally posted by -G R U N T-
Yeah, I was on the receiving end of a high lvl DMK with thunderclap- NOT pretty!

That spell is seriously UBER, more so than the TC's warstomp. Sure warstomp stuns, but the THunderclap slows enemy units which makes them pretty useless unless they're casting spells. PLus, it does a TON of damage!

For early game disruption, though, I would say the AM vs NE, since their wisps can make short work of Water elementals. THe DMK is the ideal choice in such a scenario .

Even better, that way they're down $70*# of wisps and they have to produce some more. Remember, I'm doing this to disrupt and possibly kill the hero. Not to destroy the base.

folder icon   10-14-2002, 08:45 PM
Post #16
Zaknafien

Overlord

It also kills mana in units, so unless your MK has mana pots hese in the same problem.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-14-2002, 09:42 PM
Post #17
The Slayer

Tauren Chieftain

*chants*
DMK! ALL THE WAY! DMK! ALL THE WAY! DMK! ALL THE WAY!

-Chieftan
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Post #18
Zaknafien

Overlord

And whens the last time you saw hp run out in avatar? Esp with health potions as they waste fire on him.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-15-2002, 06:15 AM
Post #19
McLeod

Arch Druid

Ignore him while he has Aavtar and focus on his army. Kill him when he turns back to normal. Having a lvl 6 hero yourself would help too. High level MK isnt unbeatable at all. Manaburn his ass for 300 mana when you have a chance - bye-bye all the nice MK skills. I'd take level six Archmage anyday over level 6 MK, especially with lvl3 blizz and lvl2 brilliance. Teleport is just too awesome, in team games especailly (huge maps - hit and run owns).

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 10:15 AM
Post #20
Zaknafien

Overlord

Ignore him in avatar? How do you plan to do that? Hese stunning at least half your army and/or stormbolting your hero every 2 seconds. Not that easy to ignore. Also you cant burn him since av lasts the whole battle(magic immunity). He dominates battles for the humans, and the AM kills stuff off it with mass tela.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Post #21
McLeod

Arch Druid

Well what else can you do? Focus fire on him while he has Avatar on? Bad idea. Keep in mind, at level six he has only 330 mana. -150 for avatat and what have you, 180 left to do all the clapping and hammer-throwing. Not much. Unless you are loaded with mana pots. But hey, every hero rocks with pots. Say hello to my meta DH with three health pots and two scrolls. And then say goodbye to your army.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 12:26 PM
Post #22
Thrall-WS

Wyvern Rider

McLeod, after bying all of they stuff for your hero u probally not gonna have a normal size attack force for that period in the game when u buy your 3 healing pots and 2 scrolls. I usually buy very little for my heros unless i know it will help alot.. but i should try one of them mana pot hero things.

[COLOR=Dark-blue]Phear Is My Greatest Allie...[/COLOR]
"You can smell a horde zealot a mile away." -Gaggin
Last edited by Thrall-WS on 10-15-2002 at 12:33 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   10-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Post #23
Zaknafien

Overlord

MK with 1 mana pot, however, can last the whole battle if you just use hammer for breaking an ultimate or hitting the enemy hero when they flee. Even with 180 mana, thats 2 stomps, youre really hurting the enemy. And yes, I think I think I can kill your DH . The MK IME kills everything else on the battlefield once he is level 6, with the disadvantage that he isnt mobile like the other heros. I cant remember how many things ive smashed using him.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-15-2002, 06:23 PM
Post #24
Evil Penguin

Shadow Hunter

....both. They complement each other really well. The furious MK draws fire from the fragile AM, while becoming a thunderclap machine despite his low mana because of brilliance. Great fun. But I have to think AM is a better rusher. Lvl 2 water elemental and lvl 1 brilliance is all you need for an initial, crippling attack.

Talk to crazy people - you might learn something. Or, you might get stabbed with a syringe. Either way, it builds character.
folder icon   10-15-2002, 06:40 PM
Post #25
Zaknafien

Overlord

BWT, the MK doesnt really have 330 MP at level 6. My MK was in the 400s at level 5. You forget about all the tomes and items youll find, which complement your guys rather well. I put 1 mana thing in him and trashed my oppenents in a game right now. Of course, brillance helped too.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Post #26
McLeod

Arch Druid

You must've gotten a pendant of energy, because it would take a crapload of Intel tomes to get him some much mana at lvl 5. And by the way today I just ripped a medium army of knights and footies while standing near my moonwells with my meta DH. And he was alone, although enemy hero was killed too. I guess it all depends on situation you're in. Try microing a huge Av MK in the battle in a tightly built base - almost impossible. While my DH was just standing there firing his cannon of chaos.

folder icon   10-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Post #27
Zaknafien

Overlord

Well, thats also a good situaton for him, because the enemy is all cramped and stackedup around him. BTW, no pendant, maybe there were a lot of tomes though. Anyway, he gets quite a lot throughout the game.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-15-2002, 10:17 PM
Post #28
Gaggin

Arch Druid

Velentris on Shadowsong

Hmm, a level 3 AM for a rush? Hello, if you've taken the time to get to level 3, then you're definately not rushing. At most you might hit level 2 on the way to your enemy's base. The Paladin actually makes for a decent rush. You arrive at your enemy's base with him and 4 footmen. If he starts targeting your footies, put the point into holy light and heal. If he starts targeting your Pally, put the point into divine shield. MKs make a good early rush too in team games, as they can stun heroes to finish him off. Mages are really only effective against newbs, who'll attack the elementals. Blizz is my choice for the mage personally, you can cast it 4 times in a row at level 1, wipes out archers really quick.

But the bottom line is... humans just aren't great for hero rushing. sure, they're decent on 1v1s against n00bs, but in team games, they're not nearly as usefull as heroes like the DH and BM.

Once again, if your hero is level 3, you are NOT rushing. You're taking your good ole time I'd say.

folder icon   10-15-2002, 10:27 PM
Post #29
GLENN_3E

Shadow Hunter

MK. Get the Mage as the second hero. Recently there was one replay sadly in version 1.02, about a MK taking on an ENTIRE UD army. He was level 6, and lost his army. The other guy had lvl 5 DL and lvl 4 Lich plus Aboms, Necros and Ghouls. The MK guy had two boots of speed, so he ran to the mana pot merchant and bought everything (including invisibility potions). Then he snuck up on the heroes and defeated the whole army, leaving 4 aboms running back home. And he did it a few times. (his base was in ruins, but he had 1 expansion).

If any of you still use version 1.02 i can send u the replay for it, else it wont work on 1.03.

folder icon   10-16-2002, 12:48 AM
Post #30
Zaknafien

Overlord

I have a few times ive done that myself, just I wasnt so sneaky about it with invis potions or anything. I just run into an exp or something, bash everything I can up, and mass tp home with te mage a ibrought along. Ussually kills the exp unless its well defended, and it kills most of their army as well if they arenty careful.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-16-2002, 05:49 AM
Post #31
McLeod

Arch Druid

Footie/MK rush is just silly. There is no way in hell it will work against a half decent player. I've had it tried against me and what can I say, I fed MK some burn and killed footies with my hunts/two archers. Sometimes I dont even need the moonwells to fight off such half-assed rush. AM rush in 1.02 was so effective solely because WE's were cheese.

As for your MK Zak, he has 315 mana at lvl 5, so it would take 4 intel tomes or 2 +2 intel tomes to get him 400+ with tomes only. That or something neet like Mantle of Intelligence. Either way items are way to random to take them into calculation.

Last edited by McLeod on 10-16-2002 at 05:51 AM.
folder icon   10-16-2002, 10:06 AM
Post #32
Zaknafien

Overlord

Well, I did have a mantle and some tomes, but I get those almost every game.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-16-2002, 10:14 AM
Post #33
McLeod

Arch Druid

Well I get some tomes every game too, but only Intel tomes increase mana capacity and I definately dont get those in every match.

folder icon   10-16-2002, 06:00 PM
Post #34
Zaknafien

Overlord

You dont? I tend to get at least 2 every match from creeping.

My currant best replay.
This one as of 10/20
folder icon   10-17-2002, 01:45 AM
Post #35
Big-Floppy-Llama

I'm with zak, I got a few tomes of knowledge and a few random tomes in each game today (3 games). Anyways, Iíve kind of gotten my early rush strategy working against most people, but now I need a mid to late game strategy. Right now I usually use about 4-6 sorceresses upgraded all the way, paired with about 5 priests (3 auto cast heal, the other 2 on infer fire) and a mix of knights and footmen (footmen are just the ones I have left over from earlier tiers). However, even against my friend who is pretty bad (he was undead) its takes a bit too long it seems to weaken the enemy. Any ideas on what is a good thing to pair with this arrangement of sorceresses and priests?

Return to Top  Pages (2): [1] 2 »

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: