ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > I find your lack of units disturbing
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

I find your lack of units disturbing  
folder icon   02-20-2002, 04:55 PM
I find your lack of units disturbing Post #1
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

So far, here is my biggest beef with Warcraft III. I understand that they are limiting units in order to provide less emphasis on base building and more on fighting and exploring... but, with these less number of men, it also makes these harder.

Let's say you want to go out and explorer, kill some creep, ect. To be effective, you must take a large number of your units out with you. This leaves your base relatively open to be attacked. The same goes for when you attack another enemy, you are often forced to send out most everyone on your side.

It just seems there is alot of empty, unprotected base going on here.

Fun Infused Games | My Blog | Smooth Operator | Evilscale | Wellplayed.net
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-20-2002, 04:56 PM
Post #2
deathofspam

Arch Druid

I think that is why they start every hero with a scroll of town portal, and let you find more, or buy more. That way when you find yourself under attack, a hero is just a click away

"What makes a person so poisonous righteous, that they think less of anyone who dares disagree?"
-Moxy Fr?vous
DarkJesterZero1: your on my "Would have sex with list"
She wants a donkey punch, trust me. - Darkwolf
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Post #3
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by deathofspam:
I think that is why they start every hero with a scroll of town portal, and let you find more, or buy more. That way when you find yourself under attack, a hero is just a click away

</font>

Aha! I didn't even think about using that town portal like that. Still, that's only one or two instances... what if it happens three time!

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-20-2002, 05:29 PM
Post #4
Kydrone

Headhunter

lol u jsut buy more scrolls : )

Kydrone

We Will Live FOREVER
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-20-2002, 05:53 PM
Post #5
Foxx

Kodo Beast

I'm assuming your the Alliance for the purpose of this thread.

Leave 1 hero at your basee, and send 1 with your scout party (which should be a small group of knights, possibly 3-6). If you have Gryphon riders, have them guard your base qwith the hero, otherwise use Drawven Steam Tanks filled with Riflemen. Or use both.

"I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong"-Richard Feynman

I'm a member of a mass cult known only as 'The Y Chromosone"

If a tree falls in the middle of a forest when no one's around, and it hits a mime, does anyone care?

www.wholetruth.com Infect Truth
folder icon   02-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Post #6
The_Lone_Gunman*

Overlord

i like warcraft three but i wish we could build armes for like epic battles... ahh the old conquistador rush!

Be respectful of your superiors, if you have any.~ Mark Twain
Actually, It turns out I'm the President of the Forums, and forgot.
http://forumsx.net/showthread.php?t=26044&page=3&pp=35
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-20-2002, 07:27 PM
Post #7
Thurin II

Catapult

You could also use the Arch-mage's mass teleport or the Dread Lord's dark summoning to get your troops around

Defeat isn't just a outcome, it is a state of one's mind
folder icon   02-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Post #8
lost

Tauren

Yeah,I read a warcraftiii.net diary and it said the end of the game pretty much consists of your men killing the enemy base while the enemy kills your base. Whoever kills the building's first wins.

folder icon   02-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Post #9
deathofspam

Arch Druid

I also saw an amulet that casts something like dark summoning, only smaller

"What makes a person so poisonous righteous, that they think less of anyone who dares disagree?"
-Moxy Fr?vous
DarkJesterZero1: your on my "Would have sex with list"
She wants a donkey punch, trust me. - Darkwolf
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-21-2002, 05:57 PM
Post #10
WhoaGod

Wyvern Rider

If you are skilled, you can prob handle it. I think it'll be fine since the units have alot of hp. That promises a long battle and time for reinforcements!

folder icon   02-21-2002, 06:46 PM
Post #11
Rondax

Peon

Having played, I can honestly say that base defense is not a major concern. First off the scrolls of town portal are wonderful and completely set your mind at ease about leaving the base. In addition, most of the time you are not wandering tremendously far from your base (unless you are attacking the enemy). When I leave base it's just to guard a strategic position, use a NPC building of some sort, or level my hero. In all these cases I'm not all the way across the map. In fact, if I need to return to my base for whatever reason I can quite easily since you don't need to wander that far away. I think you'll find base defense and massive unit production is much less important then taking strategic portions of the map, leveling your hero, and organizing good attacks. Just my opinion. What do others think?

Rondax

folder icon   02-21-2002, 07:13 PM
Post #12
KeeperOfTheGrove

Overlord

ive found only one problem that happenned to me once but seems like its going to be more common

im in a ffa and i send almost everything to kill off one the players
i manage to do this but my heros die in the process
so i have all these guys that take forever to get back to my base while tis getting attacked

I Support The Fight Against Vet-Hood!!!
Start your day off with a dose of vitamin C ~UH not oranges and all that worthless shit, CANADA!
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Post #13
Kris

StarCraft Live
Webmaster

I just ran into this today... I was in the middle of a battle with some NPCs (about 5 to 6) when the enemy attacked my base... my men weren't close enough together so when I used Town Portal, not all of the came with me... so the NPCs whiped out the remaining few and I barely defeated the attackers (who shortly regrouped and promptly destroyed me, as my partner had been dropped from the game).

folder icon   02-22-2002, 11:19 AM
Post #14
TheUndertow

Shaman

In my opinion, there needs to be more town portals available. The common mentality among non-beta testers is "oh, you can just buy more". Well, the truth is you can't just buy more all the time. A lot of maps don't come with a goblin merchant, so there is no way to buy more scrolls. Once you use that first tp that comes with the hero, that's it. You either have to tech up to tier 2 and get another hero or pray that you'll get one from a creep, which is something that rarely happens.

When I play I can be way the hell away from my base because I'm trying to fight as many creeps as possible. Even when I'm just a little bit away in the middle of a map it can be too far away to save my peons from certain death. Unless I have a town portal my economy is completely vulnerable for the most part because defensive structures are too wimpy, yet if I turtle and don't kill creeps I will die as well. So there is this contradiction in what Blizzard is intending with this game -- they want the player to get out of his base and attack, yet they don't give the capabilities to safely do so.

Return to Top  

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: