ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > General Gaming Discussion > ok newbies listen up, heres some advise from abouve
Search this Thread:

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

ok newbies listen up, heres some advise from abouve  Pages (2): [1] 2 »
folder icon   08-23-2001, 12:07 AM
ok newbies listen up, heres some advise from abouve Post #1
The_Lone_Gunman*

Overlord

ok newbies listen, i dont know that any of you go to the general discusion, but if you do youll find your beign dissed. all the vets and regulars preety much call you ignorant and most of them are leaving, its destroying the forums so look for all our sakes read these tips.

1)b4 you ask:before you ask question reserch it, like look at the unit guide and the main page. these nothing people hate more than an ignorant newbie

2)the horde doesnt rule:nuff said

3)if you dont have anything nice to post, dont post anything all

4)westwood sux bay this and yull be more popular i gauruntee it

5)vote for me in the war3 awards show as funnest poster:its on gen discusion and itll buy you some respect

6)lobby for your own forum, ask an admin for a new war3 discusion. like this one for the vets, and a new one for you

follow these 6 steps and you will be alot more respectable

Be respectful of your superiors, if you have any.~ Mark Twain
Actually, It turns out I'm the President of the Forums, and forgot.
http://forumsx.net/showthread.php?t=26044&page=3&pp=35
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 12:27 AM
Post #2
Lone Wizard

Tauren

oh dear. What could have been such a useful topic turned into corruption. Is there no justice?

"Ask Warlock, he seems to know everything! Including the 6th race!!"

"Jan's got spirit, yes he do...Jan's got spirit, how about you?"

"Dude you just lost"

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 12:43 AM
Post #3
The_Lone_Gunman*

Overlord

i sugest you read number 3

Be respectful of your superiors, if you have any.~ Mark Twain
Actually, It turns out I'm the President of the Forums, and forgot.
http://forumsx.net/showthread.php?t=26044&page=3&pp=35
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 02:08 AM
Post #4
Bryndon

Chaos Blademaster

I'm not a newbie, am I?

folder icon   08-23-2001, 02:38 AM
Post #5
Minatar12

Dread Lord

Yes you are. Your a huge newbie. 99% of the people in this warcraft 3 discussion are total newbies. All the vets post in the general discussion, its painful to post in here, I don't even know why I'm doing it now.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 03:33 AM
Post #6
Kayless

Catapult

Nothing wrong with being a newbie (everybody’s got to start somewhere) just check before posting questions that might be redundant and annoy veteran members. Pretty much the same for all message boards I've been to.

folder icon   08-23-2001, 08:00 AM
Post #7
Lone Wizard

Tauren

Now by my ammended defintion of a newbie, Kayless here is not a newbie at all. He has shown clear thinking skills and common sense.
Hope to see you around more kayless

"Dude you just lost"

folder icon   08-23-2001, 08:11 AM
Post #8
Chib

Tauren

hehe, i've a veteran reborn into this forum
which is why you don't see me asking dumb questions and shiznet like that.

folder icon   08-23-2001, 08:21 AM
Post #9
Lone Wizard

Tauren

sure you are chib, sure you are..

What vet were you?

"Dude you just lost"

folder icon   08-23-2001, 08:42 AM
Post #10
the unhallowed

Farseer

i think that firest of all its important to KNOW you are one ... i know im a newbie even that i post in both rooms i think that MAYBE in novmber i want be a nOOb no more

a spell was cast and the sky turned red
The angel's heart froze to ice
in his gloomy sky - the slience where dead angels lie

you owe me 5 dollers for reading
folder icon   08-23-2001, 09:55 AM
Post #11
Tall Dark Handsome 2

Warlock

Gunman, the Horde DOES rule, and you will die for thinking otherwise.
LOL just kiddn' I'll just verbally kick your ass one of these days. I'd be a shaman by now, but my old account got erased. DAMN!

And apologies to FlameBurst, for stealing your flag

AYE??
-Isefer
folder icon   08-23-2001, 10:12 AM
Post #12
EditorOrion

Catapult

Though I think the Gunman went a little over-board, I agree with him when people say, "[race] is gonna roxxors you all" who knows? Blizzard games tend to be, you know, balanced.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 12:55 PM
Post #13
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

I've actually seen some pretty inteligent newbies on both forums. take ryquist and hobbes as an example. smart, funny, inteligent guys that can add to any discussion and fit right in. why? cause they know what they're doing, and what they're talken bout. Kayless you seem much like that. remember, if you try not to be an idiot, most of the good will go to you.

TDH2, I find your sig offensive .

4000 posts means i gotta do 4000 chicks... yes, thats the advantage of a high post count! - dimitri

Well i banned suckmyballs today, although he has an enticing name i just had to ban him. - Ultrapunk

Your punctuation, especially the quadruple comma,,,, fascinates me. - TheMadMac
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 01:43 PM
Post #14
jackdaw

Shadow Hunter

i know i'm a newbie, but its not really the amount of post that add up. i've been watching the forums for a couple months before i joined. and so far i haven't really pissed anyone off (that i know of).

Я ни псих или героя

Listen to my words. Fear not for I am an Angel, I Love you and I will guide you. ~ Malkavian Bible

"I am only a Product of your Necessity"
~ Jack The Prophet, The Book of Jack
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 01:46 PM
Post #15
GLENN_3E

Shadow Hunter

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The_Lone_Gunman*:
ok newbies listen, i dont know that any of you go to the general discusion, but if you do youll find your beign dissed. all the vets and regulars preety much call you ignorant and most of them are leaving, its destroying the forums so look for all our sakes read these tips.

1)b4 you ask:before you ask question reserch it, like look at the unit guide and the main page. these nothing people hate more than an ignorant newbie

2)the horde doesnt rule:nuff said

3)if you dont have anything nice to post, dont post anything all

4)westwood sux bay this and yull be more popular i gauruntee it

5)vote for me in the war3 awards show as funnest poster:its on gen discusion and itll buy you some respect

6)lobby for your own forum, ask an admin for a new war3 discusion. like this one for the vets, and a new one for you

follow these 6 steps and you will be alot more respectable

</font>

Wats the requirements for being a vet, hmm???????

folder icon   08-23-2001, 02:02 PM
Post #16
McLeod

Arch Druid

Glenn, here are some important things that will help you to become a vet:
1. Visit the forums frequently
2. Post intelligently, meaning, dont post about things that were discussed a thousand times before, dont ask "silly" questions, dont spam.
3. At least two months must pass since your registration date.
4. Get to know all the regulars (or some of them at least)
5. Get out the warcraft discussion forum! j/k

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 09:00 PM
Post #17
Scorch Hellfire

Wyvern Rider

ok gunman you need to read the post Few are Newbie!!!

Also whats so bad about war 3 discussion i mean why have a general discussion? by what i have read its not about war3 so y have it on a war3 site?!

From the ashes of war we came...
From the magics of a foolish race we came...
And now we come again, with one solitary thing in mind...
TOTAL DOMINATION!
We come again at the beginning of a new reign, The Reign of Chaos, a reign that we will implement to scower the name of the Burning Legion across the universe as the ruler of all worlds!
So where there is war, we will be there...
Where there is death, we will be there...
And where there is pain, hatred, and evil, we will be there!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

---------------------
?Hola! Me llamo Scorch Hellfire. ?Y bienvinidos a Infierno S!

I only flame those who deserve it so CONSIDER YOURSELF ASHES!

Certified Scourge Cultist (tm)
~Demon Warlock~
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-23-2001, 10:49 PM
Post #18
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scorch Hellfire:
ok gunman you need to read the post Few are Newbie!!!

Also whats so bad about war 3 discussion i mean why have a general discussion? by what i have read its not about war3 so y have it on a war3 site?!

</font>

poor, poor misguided fool. gaming discussion does not all a forum make. Sometimes there are lapses in info, and there wouldn't be much things to post about. and if everyone talked only about war3 ALLL the time, it would get incredibly boring, don't y'know. That's the reason we split the forums up in the first place. Try cheking some of them out, eh? (aka Rpg/fafiction forum, General discussion, CoW, etc.) maybe, just maybe, you might even learn something! GASP

and mcleod, it should be more like three months, in my opp.

4000 posts means i gotta do 4000 chicks... yes, thats the advantage of a high post count! - dimitri

Well i banned suckmyballs today, although he has an enticing name i just had to ban him. - Ultrapunk

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-24-2001, 08:39 AM
Post #19
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

When I first came to the new forum (about a week after it opened), I considered EVERYONE to be a newbie (I've been posting TONS in the old forum, go see for yourself). Only a few of the old timers remained, like Gregory, and I don't see him posting much nowadays. Heck, *I* never post much nowadays. THe point is, I;ve seen many newbies become frequent posters with insightful comments. And the reason why I rarely post in the first place is because most of the things here have been posted by stupid people who think that just because they've posted more than someone else, it makes them superior, well that's REALLY sad. FIne, so not everyone is like that, and I don;t think Lone_Gunamn is one of them, but there ARE a lot.

There ARE some things I agree with THe Lone Gunamn, such as reading the unit section and such. I have no arguement there. I'm just saying that I miss the old times I guess...the time when there were like only 12 people posting or something...BUt I guess I'm going mad or something :-)

And when i saw the fan interviews, I realised that I had forgotten all about it! It was so long ago! I didn't even remember what I wrote, so it was nice to get nostalgic and see what the other of us back from the time of the old forum said...

oh yeah, one more thing, if you're all wondering about my date of registration, there was a 'problem' and my account was reset GRRRRRRRRR

folder icon   08-24-2001, 09:52 AM
Post #20
~Crusader~

Ranger

Mailpouch on Burning Legion

I think the requirements of being a newbie is simply summed up in the way you act. or instance there are some 'newer' people to this forum who act respectfully and ask sensible questions.

One big thing that keeps a newbie a newbie is the Horde zealots...now i have never seen (with the exception of HellJ) a person over 500 posts that was still a horde zealot. Also in being a newbie you often write seemingly that your computer's Caps Lock button is broken and you are forced to type all in caps...this is while very annoy it degrades your status with the regulars.

In being a more experienced person you actually visit more than one forum, and you converse with the vets in General Discussion.

So all in all it doesnt matter when you joined or how many posts you have, it matters on what maturity level you are on.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-24-2001, 12:13 PM
Post #21
Ox's Sending

Raider

I'm prolly still a newbie here, in fact, I say stupid stuff just to get a response. No body really takes you seriously till you've posted a few hundred times and they're forced to read through your posts to get full perspective on the topic. And for the future record I'd rather the Peon be the highest rank for the posts.

folder icon   08-24-2001, 12:57 PM
Post #22
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

Why are you people so deaf? Time and time again, I tell you, post count does not a newbie make! The post count is just an indicator, say if a guy has like a tohusand posts, he probably spends time on the forums and knows what he's talken bout. People can come in and be noticed at day 1. I've seen newbies become a part of the forum and respected in a couple of days. It's not too hard, really.

Nice to see you back, grunt! maybe we'll see you some more, perhaps in general discussion?

folder icon   08-24-2001, 01:23 PM
Post #23
GLENN_3E

Shadow Hunter

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by McLeod:
Glenn, here are some important things that will help you to become a vet:
1. Visit the forums frequently
2. Post intelligently, meaning, dont post about things that were discussed a thousand times before, dont ask "silly" questions, dont spam.
3. At least two months must pass since your registration date.
4. Get to know all the regulars (or some of them at least)
5. Get out the warcraft discussion forum! j/k

</font>

Hey man jsust bcoz i registered late doesnt mean im a newbie. And just becoz u have a hundred posts more than me doesnt mean too u can flaunt ur newly acquired rank like ur so much as mature as u r.
I know, ive just started two months ago, but ive been readin WC3 stuff since the time it was introduced and ive been browsing forums since then. Its just that recently only did i start entering this forum. Ive got tons of ideas and since this forum is WC3 discussion, i would like to post in it, if ya dont mind.

Its not that im pissed off by ur comments its just bout the one that says AT LEAST TWO MONTHS MUST PASS AFTER UR REGISTRATION DATE COZ THAT IS BULL. And yes, i do have to err .. BREAK my caps lock sometimes to stress on somefink.

folder icon   08-24-2001, 02:41 PM
Post #24
McLeod

Arch Druid

Glenn, I dont know where KL is, but obviously you guys from KL are having problems with your eyes. See that " " sign in the end of my fifth argument? Ok, good. Now see that "j/k"? Now you tell me what the hell does that mean. To be honest I dont care where will you post. I wonder why should I.
Also, I dont care how long are you into Warcraft stuff, if you joined like two weeks ago you are still a newbie to this forum! Get it? It doest mean that you are imature or have less info on Warcraft than me, it simply means that (again): you are a newbie to all the vets around.
Quote: "And just becoz u have a hundred posts more than me doesnt mean too u can flaunt ur newly acquired rank like ur so much as mature as u r."
Also, I never said that post count matters alot. *Checks his previous post* Nope, I didnt. So what the hell are you talking about?
As for you questioning my maturity: dude, I wont say anything about it, just learn to spell better.

Silencer, ya I think three months is fine.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-26-2001, 08:28 PM
Post #25
~Crusader~

Ranger

Mailpouch on Burning Legion

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by McLeod:
Glenn, I dont know where KL is, but obviously you guys from KL are having problems with your eyes. See that " " sign in the end of my fifth argument? Ok, good. Now see that "j/k"? Now you tell me what the hell does that mean. To be honest I dont care where will you post. I wonder why should I.
Also, I dont care how long are you into Warcraft stuff, if you joined like two weeks ago you are still a newbie to this forum! Get it? It doest mean that you are imature or have less info on Warcraft than me, it simply means that (again): you are a newbie to all the vets around.
Quote: "And just becoz u have a hundred posts more than me doesnt mean too u can flaunt ur newly acquired rank like ur so much as mature as u r."
Also, I never said that post count matters alot. *Checks his previous post* Nope, I didnt. So what the hell are you talking about?
As for you questioning my maturity: dude, I wont say anything about it, just learn to spell better.

Silencer, ya I think three months is fine.

</font>

Amen

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-26-2001, 09:21 PM
Post #26
Minatar12

Dread Lord

On battle.net, if you have very few games played/victories under your belt, your a newbie. If you registered only recently your a newbie. Same rules apply here. Your a newbie Glenn, its that simple. But its up to you whether you want to be insulted by that or not.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-26-2001, 09:46 PM
Post #27
dimitri583

Faster! More Intense!
ForumsX Administrator

newbie has become not only affiliated with recent registration and low psot count ,but with crude and ...dumbass behavior. being an idiot isnt newbie. its being a dumbass.

its not fair to blame an entire group for some moron's actions. poeple in real life do this. we call them the Imperial Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. yes, they are NOT too popular amongst most poeple. so all the vets calling newbies morons cuz soem morons are newbies isnt fair.

some newbies, such as this Kayless guy ive heard so much about, heh, IS a newbie, sjut not a moron. Hellj WASNT a newbie, but he did at times act kinda.... dumbass~like.

so, remember, two words, idiot and newbie.
the difference between the two is newbies get hazed for a week or so, idiots get hazed all the time.

there. dimitri has spoken
w00t~!

folder icon   08-26-2001, 11:37 PM
Post #28
Chib

Tauren

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lone Wizard:
sure you are chib, sure you are..

What vet were you?

</font>
i've just come from another forum; infoceptor, where i'm actually the mod for war3 forum and i'm also the person with number 1 post count, not that that means anything, i just like to brag

folder icon   08-27-2001, 04:21 AM
Post #29
Quimquay

Overlord

One point...

The B.Net/Forum analogy was lame. There is no way to improve your gaming skill without B.Net, but you can certainly learn everything about War3 and learn good grammar/spelling skills without the forums.

I don't consider Chib a newbie, even if he joined yesterday. As for his registry date, who cares? Do we actually have such enlightened discussions here that participating in them for many months somehow betters us? Not really. So just chiiiillllll..... even though most are joking in the first place.

folder icon   08-27-2001, 05:07 AM
Post #30
Minatar12

Dread Lord

How is it lame? I was just saying that here people judge you by when you registered and how many posts you have. You may not like it, and not everybody does, but that's just how it is, plain and simple. I compared it to b.net because there your a newbie when you registered and I likened victories to posts. Its not lame at all, its the truth.

You people are taking this way to far. Holy shit, who gives a damn?? Most of you will always be newbies to people like jov and darkwolf and 6greg9....deal with it
Its not some badge of dishonor or anything, and besides, all the vets stick in the general discussion, the newer people stay here, so who cares.

folder icon   08-27-2001, 06:51 AM
Post #31
McLeod

Arch Druid

Damn, no one is saying that vets are "better" than newbies. Being a newbie means being new to the forum. And yes, if you registered yesterday, you are a newbie, even if you're friggin Albert Einstein in real life

folder icon   08-27-2001, 08:46 AM
Post #32
Nimlot

Shaman

So what happens if i miss following one of them?

We [the U.S.] has over 200 incidents in which we have put our troops into other countries to force them to our will.
John Stockwell, former CIA official
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-27-2001, 09:26 AM
Post #33
Drain

Catapult

Im a newbie...yeah I am dammit I joined this week
but Im proud of beeing one. Newbie = Person new 2 something. And yes I am new 2 this Board.
About posts when judging newbieness...
# of posts = games played
# of interesting posts = games won
# of stupid posts = games lost
there you have it

And I will be here alot from now on.
But I wont gain respect by spamming the board but by sending a few interesting posts instead.
and that thing about KKK im on youre side...
peeps shuld not be judged for what they look or where they come from but for what they do.

folder icon   08-29-2001, 04:05 PM
Post #34
Tanuran

Gargoyle

I have been watching this form for some time now. When i saw the subject i thought 'What the hell does this guy have against newbies. Posting a new topic just to try and give "newbies" advice on how HE wants them to act.' So i entered, and have been listening ever since. It is under my impression that people who have new accounts or have resently registered, get a bad rap because there new. Now, i relize that not all of you give noobs a hard time, but some do. What I have to say to these people is "So what if I'm new? you think your better and smarter then me just because you have been registered longer?" The way i see it, a forum is kinda like a community, a group of people who like the same sort of things and who communicate with each other on a regualr bassis. The more people a community has, the better it does. I am not saying that forums prosper when new people join, sometimes they go the oposite, getting crowded and hard to follow certian topics. But, the newer people have just as good of a right to be here as you do. If after joining the abuse that right, well then the deserved to be told bluntly about it. Also, when you see people with low ranks (wich i dont really think means anything) they might not be newbies at all. They could have been registered longer then you, they don't post very often, but when the do it has a point and it makes you think. I think we have to start acting more like a community and welcome new users. Lets start talking, get to know one another, instead of worrying about new people and dwelling on the fact that they might not know as much of how this forum is operated as you do. If we can to this, it is my thought that this forum would become alot more friendly. When new people join, welcome them. Don't tell them to get lost and its because of newbies like you that this forum sucks, thats not fair. If that is your thought then why are you even here?. I know everyone is intitled to their own opinion and that, that opinion should be respected. Not everyone can agree, thats ok.
Don't think you know more then people with new accounts, because sometimes you dont. For those of you who welcome new people and get to know them, great (and thanks) for those of you who choose to ignore them, thats your own choice. But don't try and persway other people into thinking the same as you. If after reading this much of my message you think "Man, this guy thinks he knows everything," please, chang your impression now. I dont think i know everything, i just want everyone to be as happy as possible. Like someone said, everyone has to start somewhere, and for the vets, why not be good mentors? It couldn't hurt...

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   08-29-2001, 04:36 PM
Post #35
crazy~f0u !!!

Raider

Brav0 for that speech about not discriminating newbies.
Someone had to say it, and you said it well enough

Return to Top  Pages (2): [1] 2 »

newthread reply General Gaming Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: