ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > World Of WarCraft Discussion > The Warrior Thread
Search this Thread:

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

The Warrior Thread  Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »
folder icon   02-23-2005, 02:36 PM
The Warrior Thread Post #1
McLeod

Arch Druid

I've started an Undead Warrior few days ago. Never played one before, so I'm as big of a noob as it gets. Got to level 14 today and dumped the first 5 points into Cruelty, that crit bonus looks nice. So, the question is, what now? Should I stick with Fury or not? What kind of weapon should I use? Shield and 1h seems really ineffective at my level, it takes forever to kill something.

Basically, anything you can suggest to a new Warrior goes here.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Post #2
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Welcome to our ranks.

I'm spec'd 31/20/0 and use 2h weapons, swords to be exact, as they seem to have the best stats and procs for my type of fighting style. A pic of my spec is below.

Things to remember -
-Switch stances regularly during a fight (as well as have tactical mastery to retain rage, an absolute must to maintain a warrior in pvp).

-Circle strafe your enemies. This is accomplished by holding down the right mouse button and moving while keeping your enemy in the center of your screen. Try to keep his back to you at all times.

-Make sure to max first aid to heal if needed after you stun an opponent or if a paladin is shielded, as getting a few hundred hp back can really help.

-Taunt doesn't operate like it does in other games. To use taunt effectively, you have to use it conjunction with other skills, namely revenge, shield bash, and sunder armor.

-Carry both a 1h weapon and shield with you in case you have to run, shieldbash, or to tank.

-Shieldbash/pummel spells at the very last second to waste their swing/casting time.

-Cleave is the ultimate aggro holder, and can double your DPS.

-Whirlwind is god. Worship it. Use it in 1vs1, use it in multi-mob fights, use it in pvp.

-Disarm = pretty much instant death for rogues (as long as you have rend on them to prevent vanish) and cripples paladins and warriors. If disarmed yourself, piercing howl then intercept them when the duration of the howl gets low, sit in defensive stance, keep their back to you, and box them until effect runs out.

-Overpower is such an incredibly awesome skill, especially if you get the talent for it. 50% crit chance in addition to your other arms crit talents is alot of hurt. Destroys rogues, druids, and hunters.

-Heroic strike sucks unless you have the impale talent maxed. Otherwise it's just a waste of rage.

-Battle shout and Demoralizing shout should open up your fights with these to maximize damage dealt and minimize damage taken.

-Intimidating shout = my best friend in big group PvP

--------

PVE solo, you have to maximize the use of all your abilities. Battleshout, sunder, whirlwind - everything.

PVE grouping, if you're the lone tank, you have to watch out for your buds. Use taunt in conjunction with your other skills (namely cleave, thunderclap, whirlwind, and demoralizing shout) to maximize the hate you receive. If you're a secondary tank, spam slam and watch the mobs health drop (especially evident if you have impale).

Rogues are probably our easiest fight, especially if you keep them off guard. Only thing you have to watch out for is stunlock rogues, but if you can disarm them, and then force them to use evasion, you've pretty much won the fight.

Hunters are also incredibly easy, just use intimidating shout to fear the pet. Only concern here is if they spam freeze trap, which there is absolutely no counter to, but hunters usually run out of mana before they can kill us using this method, and once they're out of mana, a hunter is basically checkmated.

To date, using this build I have not ever been killed by a Paladin, our apparently superior stepbrother, duels or otherwise. Make sure to regularly disarm him, have demoralizing shout on him, and circle strafe him. If you get extremely low on health in PvP against a pally, just hamstring (or piercing howl, a talent ability) him and run away. There's nothing he can do about it. Get far enough away, bandage, intercept, hamstring+rend, and then you have the option of retreating for a bloodrage w/ intercept+slam, or just standing toe to toe with him.

Mages are only tricky if you let them be. When fighting a mage, make sure to stay close to them as much as possible, and when they are casting, make sure to circle strafe them in an attempt to make their spell completely fail. If their back is turned to you, there's a good chance the spell won't even be cast.

Other Warriors are similiar to Paladins except if you deal alot of burst damage (easily accomplished through an intercept+slam), alot of them will falter and will run instead of fighting. If you see their rage is slow, you can do the same tactic and perform a hamstring, run away, bandage up, and then intercept them to continue fighting. Make sure to use alot of disarms, keep demoralizing shout on them, and use whirlwind for extra hits.

Warlocks are relatively simple for us. If following my spec and/or undead, it's usually cake. Simply have Berserker rage on, then Deathwish, and if undead, you have the added bonus of Will of the Forsaken. If they are using a succubus, use intimidating shout and make sure to circle strafe and pummel. If they are using an imp, it is absolutely vital you kill the imp first, as their DPS is insane.

Druids can be a problem only when they decide to spam root. Otherwise just treat them like Mages. If they decide to go into bear form, do some burst damage to scare them into going back to druid form, and interrupt their heals. If they are insistant on heals and begin to cast another one after pummel, give yourself some room and intercept them. If they decide to run, hamstring is relatively useless, as they can switch forms and switch back to get rid of the movement debuff. This is where piercing howl is nifty. Just spam it every few seconds on them, and they have no chance at all. (On a side note, occasionally execute gets bugged with Druids and you're able to spam execute. Always a nice alternative.

Shadow Priests might seem pretty daunting to a warrior, but don't let the miniscule DOT's and what not scare you into running. Just keep on them and treat them like a mage, and bandage up when their DOT's run out.

Really the only class you have to watch out for (since you're undead, not really as much, but be mindful in duels), is an elemental Shaman, as they are the ultimate class in pvp right now. With warriors, they just have to use earthbind totem in conjunction with an opening fire shock and follow by spamming shocks and chain lightning while walking backwards. The only viable way to stay with them is to use piercing howl. Using this skill, you can hopefully catch up to them to smack a hamstring on them, and keep up to constantly whirlwind and disarm. If they begin to heal, pummel, and circle strafe. If you're close enough to a totem, target the totem and hamstring it to kill it instantly. If the shaman is close enough to the totem, target the totem and cleave it. AOE spells refuse to hit totems, so the only way you can really deal with them is if it's convienently on the way to the shaman.

Using these basic tips, you have to find your own playing style and what fits you best. One thing stays the same though - stay next to them, and make sure you're hitting them.

Grom-Hellscream has attached this image:

Last edited by Grom-Hellscream on 07-06-2005 at 09:30 PM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Post #3
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

First, the basic setup. The basic setup is extremely important to warriors, as we require the most micromanagement of any class.

This setup was accomplished through Cosmos. (www.cosmosui.com)

-Notice through this setup, I have accurate measurements of health and rage to maximize use of both.
-As well, I have buff and debuff timers so I can watch for battleshout, bloodrage, etc. durations.
-I've noticed some people play without a combat log. That's unbelievable.
-To the right of my screen, I have my tradeskills, hearthstone and mount for easy and quick access.
-At the bottom right, I place my bandages, health potions, and rage potions respectively for quick access again.
-And finally, my hotbar. My hotbar consists of both hotkeys and macros. Macros can be distinguished by the text under their icon, and perform auxillery functions in addition to a prime function, which can help greatly with speed. Macros will be explained later. The rest of my hotkeys are laid out in a logical order for efficent use.

Last edited by Grom-Hellscream on 02-24-2005 at 10:10 AM.
folder icon   02-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Post #4
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Next, the hotkey setup. Each bar is Battle, Defensive, and Fury respectively. I have made changing stances a matter of just pressing either the equals or minus key, which simplifies matters incredibly. As well, you'll notice that I have abilities from all 3 stances on my battle stance bar. Those specific abilities are macros, which will be discussed next.

folder icon   02-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Post #5
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Now, macros. If you look at my bar above, the hotkeys are in the same location on my battle bar as they are in both my defensive and fury bars. The hotkeys on my battle bar simply switch to the specified stance, and then if you press the hotkey again, perform the move if enough rage is available. The benefit of using this system is that you can monitor cool downs on your battle bar without having to switch to those stances, and makes it alot quicker. I can solo mobs about 6 levels higher then me using this system.

The formula for macros is shown in the picture below. There are no line breaks or spaces.

folder icon   02-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Post #6
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Whew. Have to take a break for now. I'll fix any errors or anything later.

folder icon   02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Post #7
McLeod

Arch Druid

Best response ever! EVER! Thanks a lot Grom.

Yeah, I was leaning to ditch Protection and shields too. Who needs defense when you can go balls out with a huge freaking axe.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Post #8
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod

Yeah, I was leaning to ditch Protection and shields too. Who needs defense when you can go balls out with a huge freaking axe.

My thoughts exactly.

folder icon   02-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Post #9
~Crusader~

Ranger

Mailpouch on Burning Legion

Yeah listen to grom, he sorta knows what he is talking about

Anyway, always be sure to keep up with equipment upgrades and such as they are EXTREMELY important to the warrior. Make sure you are able to switch between your two-handers, for instance my warrior is polearms/2h axes so that way, if I am in a fix with a bad polearm (such as now) and I find/buy a good axe, I can make a painless transition between the two.

It is also very important to learn pummel, as it will make spellcasters roughly 1001849213849037401897248973 times easier. Don't be afraid to switch stances (tactical mastery is needed best points have have spent with the exception of improved overpower). And make sure to keep your opponent bleeding and you'll do alright.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Post #10
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

This topic is very geared toward PvP. When you party grom, what role do you fill? are you able to effectivly keep agro of from the casters, or are you an in-efficient DPS? Warriors will never do the DPS of mages or rogues. Not what we are made for. Anyways, what role do you fill, and do you do a good job in party PvE?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Post #11
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

how do you hotkey the stance buttons? i havent figured that out yet.

folder icon   02-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Post #12
Darkwolf

Overlord

By the way, I am specifically going to get a weapon chain just because of this topic.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Post #13
M4tt

Gargoyle

Grimora on Shadowsong

What is the third stance and what are the stats of it.

folder icon   02-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Post #14
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Hanzo: This build excels at being versatile without sacrificing performance in either area, PVE or PVP. If it's needed, I can act as tank and handle aggro management wonderfully, especially with improved demoralizing shout and piercing howl. If I'm not the main tank, I can act as a damage dealer, even out damaging rogues (slam + overpower is wonderful with the improved crit rate)

PB: Go into your ability listing, and drag each stance from there into your hot bar. (Battle stance in battle abilities, protection stance in protection abilties, etc.) I strongly suggest a setup such as mine if you're not going to use macros.

Darkwolf: depends on your class. If you're a rogue, get a weapon chain. Otherwise you just lose a good enchant.

M4tt: Berserker stance. +10% damage taken, +3% crit rate. Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds. +3% crit rate is roughly about +10% damage dealt without taking into account your natural crit rate. In addition, with the amount of crit boosting talents put into this build, You can easily expect 30%-40% crit rate on abilities, and 10%-30% crit rate on normal attacks depending on your equipment.

Hopefully for all of you using this build, you get outcomes such as this. (From a while ago, but I was pretty proud, especially since he had plate.)

Last edited by Grom-Hellscream on 02-26-2005 at 10:22 AM.
folder icon   02-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Post #15
M4tt

Gargoyle

Grimora on Shadowsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grom-Hellscream

M4tt: Berserker stance. +10% damage taken, +3% crit rate. Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds. +3% crit rate is roughly about +10% damage dealt without taking into account your natural crit rate. In addition, with the amount of crit boosting talents put into this build, You can easily expect 30%-40% crit rate on abilities, and 10%-30% crit rate on normal attacks depending on your equipment.

Holy shit, lvl 35, and you pwned a level 42? The fuck is that?

I'm definately going to stick with my warrior now Grom. Yeah, I was planning on using either the balanced, or berserker stance, either way. I have defensive chars.. They annoy the crap out of me.

folder icon   02-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Post #16
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Glad to hear it, bro. Prove the warrior nay-sayers wrong.

If anyone wants a demonstration of a warrior duel, let me know. I'm Massacre on Shadowsong.

Last edited by Grom-Hellscream on 02-26-2005 at 11:12 AM.
folder icon   02-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Post #17
Yuber8900

Knight

Everyone who says that warriors are total weaklings and that paladins are the uber shit should look at this.

folder icon   02-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Post #18
M4tt

Gargoyle

Grimora on Shadowsong

I can't take it anymore...My dwarf warr sucks hardcore..

I lost to a guy using a 1h axe that had lower attack, and equal speed, using 2h axe and i got thrashed...

I'm gonna switch over to UDa nd try to get as good as grom..

folder icon   02-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Post #19
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Make sure to use demoralizing shout and thunderclap against 1 handers. Circle strafe to try to avoid as many hits as possible, and don't stick to a single direction - be sure to switch up on directions occasionally to make them fumble. If they are using a shield, sunder a few times to really make them feel the hurt of basically only utilizing 1 weapon slot.

Last edited by Grom-Hellscream on 02-27-2005 at 08:09 PM.
folder icon   02-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Post #20
M4tt

Gargoyle

Grimora on Shadowsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grom-Hellscream
Make sure to use demoralizing shout and thunderclap against 1 handers. Circle strafe to try to avoid as many hits as possible, and don't stick to a single direction - be sure to switch up on directions occasionally to make them fumble. If they are using a shield, sunder a few times to really make them feel the hurt of basically only utilizing 1 weapon slot.
I was lvl 11 and him 12, i don't care if he had the extra battle shout upgrade, and what-not, but i shouldn't have lost that easily, and fast.

folder icon   02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Post #21
~Crusader~

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4tt
I was lvl 11 and him 12, i don't care if he had the extra battle shout upgrade, and what-not, but i shouldn't have lost that easily, and fast.

Did you rend him? Keeping a target bleeding can prove the difference in a win or a loss. Especially once you get deep wounds (absolutely necessary for any warrior). And what weapon are you using?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   02-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Post #22
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Up to level 20, pvp goes pretty much by luck, so just make sure to keep his back to you at all times and try your best. Like Crusader said, rend might seem minimal, but warriors aren't meant to be doing DOT damage in the first place. Rends damage can add up after a while, and for such a small rage cost, just throw it on every once and a while.

folder icon   02-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Post #23
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

:sheepish grin:

folder icon   03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Post #24
McLeod

Arch Druid

Warriors are finally getting some love from Blizzard in the next patch. Here's a post by Caydiem on official wow forums, with some new info:

Hmmm... I think I can manage a tidbit drop or two about what's up for Warriors in the next patch...

Heroic Strike's damage is increasing.

The Execute bug -- when all rage is consumed upon a miss/dodge/parry/etc. -- is being fixed.

Thunder Clap's damage will be Physical rather than Nature-based. The damage itself is increasing, and the duration will increase with each new rank.

That's not everything... but does that help?

w00t!

folder icon   03-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Post #25
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Oh man, we made the right choice with our class hehe.

folder icon   03-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Post #26
~Crusader~

Ranger

Nice! Although I don't think that we really need an improvement on Heroic Strike, BUT I will take it

I might actually train in thunder clap after this patch.

folder icon   03-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Post #27
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

MM Right now i got rank 1 slam... I hate it! It takes for ever to use, costs the same rage as Heroic strike, and deals less damage! WTF is this good for? I hope this increases with higher levels cause right now its unusable, specialy with a buf to Heroic strike coming.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   03-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Post #28
M4tt

Gargoyle

Grimora on Shadowsong

Heh, my warrior is teh sex, a few nights ago I barely los to a NE warr 6 levels ahead of me, the only reason I lost wasb ecause he downed a pot half-way through the battle.

folder icon   03-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Post #29
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxHANZO
MM Right now i got rank 1 slam... I hate it! It takes for ever to use, costs the same rage as Heroic strike, and deals less damage! WTF is this good for? I hope this increases with higher levels cause right now its unusable, specialy with a buf to Heroic strike coming.

Slam is awesome for 2h weapons. 1.5 seconds vs. 3.9 speed on an axe. mmm.

folder icon   03-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Post #30
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

aye, its nice for that but it get continualy interrupted (the gague set back alot) so it ends up taking about the same amount of time between swings.

folder icon   03-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Post #31
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Hamstring someone and then run back a bit, and intercept them. 2 uninterrupted slams.

folder icon   03-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Post #32
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

Ive been giving slam some love recently... I think the trouble was I didnt have Beserker rage yet, so I was short on rage. Beserker Rage gives me so much rage thats its hard to use it up! Slam work out pretty well except against more than one dual wielder ugh, ends up taking longer then. Ill see how much I like it when Heroic Strike gets a buff =P

folder icon   03-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Post #33
Grom-Hellscream

Horde Berserker

Really glad things are working out for you guys. I'll be updating the guide pretty soon.

folder icon   03-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Post #34
XxHANZO

Official Forum Ninja

Zapthrottle on Turalyon

Well here is a little tip from Hanzo, Im a little bit of an add-on freak.
Cosmos- definatly a must for the added bars. Being replaced by the Blizz UI soon tho.
QuickWeaponSwap- a great add on that allows you to creat a macro to change from weapon set A,B to weapon A, Shield B or weapons A,B to weapon 2hA. One of my favorites.

Stancesets- Changes your weapons based on your Stance/shape. Bezerker stance- big 2hander change to D-Stance automaticaly switches to 1h and Shield.

Great automations, as switching weapons in battle can be a real pain.

folder icon   03-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Post #35
~Crusader~

Ranger

Alright well I hit 60 this week, so if anyone is looking for a decent soloing and grouping build for a warrior (I think it works pretty well) here is how my character is built out:

Fury Mastery
Cruelty Rank 5
Improved Demoralizing Shout Rank 5
Fury Total: 10
Arms Mastery
Improved Heroic Strike Rank 3
Deflection Rank 5
Improved Rend Rank 3
Improved Charge Rank 2
Tactical Mastery Rank 4
Improved Overpower Rank 2
Deep Wounds Rank 3
Two-Handed Weapon Specialization Rank 5
Impale Rank 2
Sweeping Strikes Rank 1
Sword Specialization Rank 5
Polearm Specialization Rank 5
Mortal Strike Rank 1
Arms Total: 41
Total
Total Points Spent: 51
Level Required: 60

Basically I crit a lot with polearms and get extra attacks every once in awhile with Swords. I mainly use my 2h Polearm The Needler and if I tank (which I rarely do actually) in a group, then I swap out to my 1h sword and my shield. I am in Battle Stance most of the time during soloing and during groups I frequently switch between defensive (for taunts since I am the off tank usually) and Berserker (since I am again the off tank) for the few AOE abilities that we have. Anyway if you want to try this alternative from the Fury aspect go ahead, it served me well through my 60 levels.

Return to Top  Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »

newthread reply World Of WarCraft Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: