ForumsX
The forums of StarCraftLive.net

top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

vb_bullet.gif ForumsX > Video Game Discussion > StarCraft II Discussion > May 19th announcment
Search this Thread:
What will happen at the WWI?
You may not vote on this poll
This poll will close on 05-20-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Starcraft 2 will be announced, joy in the streets of Seoul [ 10 ] polls/bar2-l.gifpolls/bar2.gifpolls/bar2-r.gif 35.71%
Some other crappy surprise game will be anounced. [ 5 ] polls/bar3-l.gifpolls/bar3.gifpolls/bar3-r.gif 17.86%
The announcing of anything will be inexplicitly postponed. [ 3 ] polls/bar4-l.gifpolls/bar4.gifpolls/bar4-r.gif 10.71%
The rumours of the anouncement of Sarcraft 2 will cause mass boycott of wow and blizzard will go bankrupt due to the financial backlash and therefore all projects will be cancelled. [ 2 ] polls/bar5-l.gifpolls/bar5.gifpolls/bar5-r.gif 7.14%
Blizzard will make the long awaited biographic adventure game "The life and times of keeper" [ 8 ] polls/bar6-l.gifpolls/bar6.gifpolls/bar6-r.gif 28.57%
Total: 28 votes 100%

newthread reply StarCraft II Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

May 19th announcment  Pages (4): « 1 2 3 [4]
folder icon   05-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Post #106
Black~Enthusiasm

Arch Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeltz

Why would you want overlord transports when you can have a movable nydus canals to anywhere on the map?

Because an armada of overlords is way prettier? It just fits more with my conception of the Zergs as swarming their ennemies instead of sneaking from under.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Post #107
Ultra_punk

Administrator

Hmm, it seems terran infantry have shields now or something. It's like a bunch of captain americas fighting for me... except they die in horrible mounds.

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Post #108
dimitri583

Faster! More Intense!
ForumsX Administrator

HOT DAMN! STARCRAFT II! w00t!

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_icq.gif im_aim.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Post #109
Black~Enthusiasm

Arch Druid

I was thinking more along the lines of riot polices.

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Post #110
Kjell Thusaud

War Chief

Micky Mouse on Crack

Quote:
The panel answered questions on numerous topics, including Starcraft II's development history, which Pardo expained "started shortly after Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" back in 2003. According to Pardo, the game is "very far along," and that the game is already playable in multiplayer with all three factions. When asked about the release date, Pardo gave the answer you may have come to expect from Blizzard: "The game will be released when it's ready."

Was Ghost just a red herring?

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Post #111
Jeltz

Demi-God

I too think that Overlords are prettier, but Nydus Worms seems like a better means of transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Thusaud
Was Ghost just a red herring?

No, Ghost was developed by another company and was postponed or cancelled last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

I eat robots for breakfast with syrup A(CBRT)
Show me! show you! Kikkomaan!

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Post #112
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

I don't think overlord transports are going anywhere.

These new Nydus worms look more like buildings than units. YOu build one end of the worm in your base, but unlike a Nydus Canal, the other end of a Nydus Worm can be summoned anywhere you have line of sight. That's my guess.

You saw how those Nydus Worm mouths just stayed immobile after being summoned - I think they're treated as structures. All the races seem to be becoming more mobile - Protoss have all this new fancy teleportation tech, and it looks like Command Centers can now carry SCVs.

folder icon   05-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Post #113
Zujin

Night Elf Ranger

I'm confused about something. So, according to the units list for the Protoss are basically none of the original Protoss units going to be in the game?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Post #114
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

Well, we know Probes are still here, and so are Zealots...what other Protoss units will be returning is unknown at the moment....

folder icon   05-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Post #115
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by -G R U N T-
Well, we know Probes are still here, and so are Zealots...what other Protoss units will be returning is unknown at the moment....
Looks to me like the Dragoon role of fire-support has been taken by Immortals...

Heavy fire support=Colossus instead of Reavers?

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Post #116
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

Strawberry on the Shortcake

read the official blizzard page. Immortals ARE Dragoons. thats what the Dragoons have become.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Post #117
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Buster
read the official blizzard page. Immortals ARE Dragoons. thats what the Dragoons have become.
Noticed that after I had made that post...

folder icon   05-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Post #118
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

I've read that, P_B, but I prefer not to think of them as being Dragoons - I'd like to think of them as a new unit for the time being. Zealots got a new trick, but weren't changed drastically enough to justify it being a whole new unit type. Immortals on the other hand, could be different enough to justify the name/design change, rather than Blizzard just altering the way Dragoon shields work, and leaving the name the same. Might be too early to say though. If the shield gimmick is the only difference, then I'd wish they'd kept the name and design of the Dragoon, and just added the shield thing...

folder icon   05-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Post #119
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

based on the description on the site, im pretty sure Immortals are completely replacing Dragoons. their weapons seem a little different from the gameplay video--maybe its just me, but they seem shorter ranged. other than that and the heavy shields, they look pretty much the same.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 02:38 AM
Post #120
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

Quote:
Might be too early to say though. If the shield gimmick is the only difference, then I'd wish they'd kept the name and design of the Dragoon, and just added the shield thing...

I don't think that's really neccessary; the name change reflects a change in the storyline pertaining to these units, as much as it pertains to their change in actual gameplay.

4000 posts means i gotta do 4000 chicks... yes, thats the advantage of a high post count! - dimitri

Well i banned suckmyballs today, although he has an enticing name i just had to ban him. - Ultrapunk

Your punctuation, especially the quadruple comma,,,, fascinates me. - TheMadMac
Last edited by Silencer-7 on 05-20-2007 at 03:01 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-20-2007, 02:44 AM
Post #121
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

I don't think it's mainly due to a change in storyline - I mean c'mon they lose one shrine on Aiur and suddenly they can't make new Dragoons ? You would think that there are engineers who know how the process works, or records of it stored on Arbiters on Carriers - it's not as though they'd keep ALL that knowledge in that one shrine or whatever. And even if the story dictated that no more dragoons can be made, theres no reason why they couldn't just keep the name, but give them new bodies. I think the whole siege-busting abilities of Immortals plays a large part in differentiating them from the 'goons we know... but I hope they have more than just that.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Post #122
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Quote:
I don't think it's mainly due to a change in storyline - I mean c'mon they lose one shrine on Aiur and suddenly they can't make new Dragoons ? You would think that there are engineers who know how the process works, or records of it stored on Arbiters on Carriers - it's not as though they'd keep ALL that knowledge in that one shrine or whatever.

Keep in mind, the Protoss were meant to be an arrogant race. That's exactly the kind of thing that arrogance would make you do; think that your one shrine is never going to fall, so keep all your records and materials there.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Post #123
Black~Enthusiasm

Arch Druid

Its been exactly 24 hours now since its been announced, and we're already busy dwelling and probing what we understand from the psyche of the Protoss and how they store information and data, in an effort to figure out whats the deal with one unit.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Post #124
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

Quote:
I don't think it's mainly due to a change in storyline - I mean c'mon they lose one shrine on Aiur and suddenly they can't make new Dragoons ? You would think that there are engineers who know how the process works, or records of it stored on Arbiters on Carriers - it's not as though they'd keep ALL that knowledge in that one shrine or whatever. And even if the story dictated that no more dragoons can be made, theres no reason why they couldn't just keep the name, but give them new bodies. I think the whole siege-busting abilities of Immortals plays a large part in differentiating them from the 'goons we know... but I hope they have more than just that.

I actually totally disagree. Read the page on them if you haven't, which I'm sure you have. "The sacred shrine that was dedicated to the creation of the dragoons was infested by the zerg and lost along with the protoss homeworld itself." Regardless of what you might think of what the process might be under which dragoons are created, if Blizzard says that the knowledge was lost, then it was lost, cause you know... they write the story. I don't find it hard to believe, personally.

So, it would stand to follow that the remaining dragoon's in the protoss armies, dwindling as they are, would be valued more highly, and thus refitted with better technology in order to better server the forces of the protoss with what time they have left, for the loss of each one is felt more keenly than ever. Therefore, the name change makes sense to me.

I personally don't understand the sentiment that every unit that they bring back from starcraft 1 should be the same as it was in the first game. I mean, yeah, it was a great game and I loved it as much as anyone here, but changes to the game in it's sequels make it more dynamic and fresh, in my opinion. Of course, provided there is an explanation for the change.

4000 posts means i gotta do 4000 chicks... yes, thats the advantage of a high post count! - dimitri

Well i banned suckmyballs today, although he has an enticing name i just had to ban him. - Ultrapunk

off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif im_msn.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-20-2007, 03:10 AM
Post #125
-G R U N T-

Grunt
Site Staff

I just happen to think that in this case, the explanation feels rather tacked-on - sorta like how they added all this extra fluff in WoW to explain the presence of the Dranei....it doesn't really 'fit' in, if you know what I mean - that's how I feel about the explanation of the infestation of the shrine and whatnot. I mean, it's a MUCH more believable explanation than what I've read for some of the story explanations in War3 and whatnot, but it still feels slightly tacked-on.

The name change in light of the significance of the loss of any of the surviving Dragoons makes sense, though. Didn't think about it that way. Oh well, once SC2 comes out, there are going to be a LOT of Immortals dying .

folder icon   05-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Post #126
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

I can see where you are coming from, in the case that explanations have to seem believeable, but in the light that we really dont know anything about the process in which the dragoons were originally created, I don't think it's hard to imagine it being a difficult process that requires this shrine, or whatever. Maybe it's a lot more difficult than what we might expect, and that's why the knowledge was lost.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Post #127
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

im not so sure its the knowledge they lost, just that the shrine was probably a holy site... you cant just decide some new site is holy enough to inter your greatest warriors into cybernetic sarcophagi with which to wreak havoc upon your enemies.

Last edited by Planet_Buster on 05-20-2007 at 05:22 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Post #128
Funderbunk

Farseer

You know, I'm pretty sure that Immortal soundbyte is not in fact from StarCraft II. It's from WarCraft III. It's Kel'Thuzad. I'm almost positive he said that line.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Post #129
IKickPuppies

Assassin

Personally, I hope that the story will take a back seat to the game this time. Don't get me wrong, I like the story and I appreciate the effort they put into having everything make sense, but the multiplayer aspect needs to come first. Looking back, I don't think removing the BL as a playable race benefit the actual game, it just made the story make more sense. They would have been bettered served to only make them playable in multiplayer, imo. I hope they don't make the same mistake with this game.

I haven't actually read any of the articles yet. I'll head off to do that, and then hopefully once I finish and then calm down a little I can write my take on this game.

Edit:
StarCraft 2 will have no unit selection limit, which should please or enrage StarCraft purists.

Nice! No more groups of twelve. Now you can just select your whole force at once and send them to their death It does make me wonder, though: How is that gonna work in relation to subgroups? If Zerglings still spawn in groups of 2, then I could easily have over 100 various units selected at once. I hope I can still cycle through them to use whatever special abilities they have.

Edit 2:

Quote:
Browder shows how the new units and new abilties for existing units will help diversify gameplay and work within the counter-unit system. For instance, the protoss immortal, a ground-based tank unit, is extremely tough but slow (and can therefore be countered by quick-thinking players with enough resources to build up counter-units, and is also therefore not able to effectively flee from a losing battle), and possesses a powerful energy shield that is triggered only from heavy-duty fire. This makes the immortal a natural counter-unit for the terran siege tank, whose powerful cannons can't do much against the immortal's energy shield. However, the slow-moving immortals themselves can be easily countered by a large swarm of zerglings, which don't deal enough damage to trigger the immortals' shields, and are too quick for the tank to outrun.

The gamespot article consistently refers to it as a slow moving tank unit, built more or less exclusively as a counter to siege tanks. I wonder what kind of range they'll have, because they're supposed to be weak against units that have rapid fire but small base damage. If they can't outshoot marines or goliaths- which most Terran players back up their tanks with anyway- how much good could they do?

Last edited by IKickPuppies on 05-20-2007 at 09:22 AM.
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Post #130
Kjell Thusaud

War Chief

Micky Mouse on Crack

Teamed up with Zealots, I'd say pretty much good.

The thing i don't like with them is how they walk, They look like droidekas!

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Post #131
Silencer-7

The People's Champion

Valkor on Whisperwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKickPuppies
Personally, I hope that the story will take a back seat to the game this time. Don't get me wrong, I like the story and I appreciate the effort they put into having everything make sense, but the multiplayer aspect needs to come first. Looking back, I don't think removing the BL as a playable race benefit the actual game, it just made the story make more sense. They would have been bettered served to only make them playable in multiplayer, imo. I hope they don't make the same mistake with this game.

I would disagree with you there; I think the single player aspect of SC is as iconic as the multiplayer. I really don't see why they can't have both be of high importance. Blizzard has always been a very story-based company, and their creative story ideas really show through in multiplayer as well. To put the BL as a playable race in War3 would have contradicted everything that blizzard thought about the race, and if they did it they would have to completely revamp the idea of their demonic entities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKickPuppies

They look like droidekas!

Heh, I actually mentioned the same thing to one of my friends yesterday. I guess when someone makes that inevitable star wars mod they won't have to look far.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Post #132
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer-7
I would disagree with you there; I think the single player aspect of SC is as iconic as the multiplayer. I really don't see why they can't have both be of high importance. Blizzard has always been a very story-based company, and their creative story ideas really show through in multiplayer as well. To put the BL as a playable race in War3 would have contradicted everything that blizzard thought about the race, and if they did it they would have to completely revamp the idea of their demonic entities.
Agreed. I, being the story junky that I am, actually would prefer a slight bias towards the campaign over multiplayer - I rarely play anything but "Custom Games" on Battle.Net anyway, so the main balance doesn't really affect me over-much.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Post #133
Planet_Buster

Demi-God

i doubt im going to play multiplayer competitively--i cant stand the idiots on b.net. ill probably only play multiplayer with friends. the single-player, however, im hoping for a kickass story because thats what keeps me in the game.

Quote:
Posted by Funderbunk:
You know, I'm pretty sure that Immortal soundbyte is not in fact from StarCraft II. It's from WarCraft III. It's Kel'Thuzad. I'm almost positive he said that line.
i dunno... its been a while since i played War3, but it doesnt quite sound like him. i dun remember if he said that line or not.

folder icon   05-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Post #134
Zuljins-Return

Gargoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funderbunk
Eh... it could the same voice actor; the Blizzard staff does seem to use the same guys to do a lot of voices. Hell, they even do a lot themselves;

Chris Metzen - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1068321/

folder icon   05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Post #135
Ultra_punk

Administrator

The multiplayer of the game is going to be fairly good from what i see, there isnt much you do. You just make sure there's good unit variety so that players can make up tactics and then make sure the three races are balanced.

What really takes skill is making the single player story very engrossing and i think starcraft did well both because of its single player and multiplayer. It set the bar high for everything afterwards. Good story and a team that worked on the multiplayer aspect.

a suicide bomber taken out by a suicide bomber? priceless
Masey209: JUST MAKE HER HAVE SEX WITH ME!!
Enix: Oops added an extra zero to it just like your hydro bill
CowUltrapunk: SLOW
CowUltrapunk: slow as your dick
dimitri583: i told you
dimitri583: my dick is fast as fuck
CowUltrapunk: working on your unspeakable weapon of mass atrocities?
ZoraxP: Yep. I call it the USA.
Urin Bloodface: i know ontario
Urin Bloodface: ive even been to vancover
off.gif profile.gif sendpm.gif email.gif home.gif find.gif buddy.gif im_aim.gif im_yahoo.gif edit.gif reply.gif
folder icon   05-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Post #136
Black~Enthusiasm

Arch Druid

Return to Top  Pages (4): « 1 2 3 [4]

newthread reply StarCraft II Discussion
prev.gif Previous Thread | Next Thread next.gif
Linear Hybrid Threaded

printer.gif Show Printable Version
sendtofriend.gif Email this Page
Rate this Thread: